What are you wearing to keep warm ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
One of the sites I monitor had an air temp of -15 at 2pm this afternoon ! It will be a lot colder than that tonight. Today I have been wearing an Icebreaker 200 weight merino vest, brushed flannel shirt, M&S lambswool sweater and Paramo Cascada coat, a cheap thinsulate hat and gloves, Craghoppers lined winter trousers, two pairs of wool socks and a pair of Grubs Hunter neoprene wellies.
The Grubs wellies are great in these conditions, but are far too warm for the rest of the year. I was warm most of the time, but began to feel cold after sitting for 20 minutes hoping to catch sight of an otter, there were plenty of tracks though!

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
Well i work as a local binman so im out around 6:30am to start work, i normally wear this for work. Im toasty warm :D

Head - I just wear a beanie hat.

Body - Green Thermal Top with Long Sleeves http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-clothing/thermal-underwear/green-thermal-top-with-long-351879.html
Work issue T-shirt and Sweatshirt and a work issue Fleece coat

Legs - Military Issue Winter Thermal Long Johns http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-clothing/thermal-underwear/quality-german-military-issue-322209.html
Just ex work Regatta trousers over the top.

Feet - I only need 1 pair of socks lol
Standard issue work boots

Helen Back

Jan 1, 2010
Stockport
the central heating's just conked out - indoors I'm wearing:

Woolpower 400g leggings (and Icebreaker undie's)
Woolpower 200g long sleeve top & Fjallraven jumper
Gooutdoors merino socks
Heater hat (swapped for Swazi bucket hat for bed)

For outdoors I'll add jeans, jacket and gloves.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Today:
Uniqlo heat tech long johns
Angora goat wool socks from Corrymor
Lundhag boots
Arctic windproof gaberdine trousers
Bamboo base layer from mountain junky
Norgee top
Austrian Wooly pully
Arktis Stowaway Shirt
Wool Headover
Woll watch cap
Wool gloves
Real Hair Beard ;)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Just back from my parents near the Berwyns. Wife and I walked the dogs on Sunday night and I was wearing a merino baselayer, Pendleton shirt, my new Moufflon hoodie and a primaloft jacket with Devold boiled wool hat, merino long johns and Craghopper trousers. I had merino liner gloves over leather and two pairs of socks under Hunter neoprene wellies.

I was just warm enough, when we got back in it was -15.

That said it was only -1 last night but I was far more uncomfotable in the wind.

When I finally get to Scotland I'll have to get one of those jerkins like Reds.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
In the woods...

icebreaker 200 baselayer on lower and upper body
keela Alpine Advance Trousers
mountain hardwear fleece top
an old issue M65 I will wear to my grave
LoweMountain Cap
woolpower socks
danner blade hunting boots
some amazing woolen gloves with leather palms I need to replace but have never seen again.

At home or around town...

normal clothes

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Aldi merino wool baselayer, norgee top, a bodywarmer (various) and a charity shop jacket with a detachable 100% scottish wool liner. Plus silk liner socks and gloves. After dark a cloak as well. And a hat at all times.

Layers are definitely the key.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
next time you're passing Tk Max and have an hour spare take a close look through their jumpers... over the past few visits I've found several good merino tops which aren't clearly labeled as such. You'll need to look at the textile label which is usually on the inside bottom left of the garment. The ones I bought were £15 each but they did have one or two chunky sweaters for around £40

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Aldi merino wool baselayer, norgee top, a bodywarmer (various) and a charity shop jacket with a detachable 100% scottish wool liner. Plus silk liner socks and gloves. After dark a cloak as well. And a hat at all times.

Layers are definitely the key.

Glad to see someone with the cojones to wear a cloak... mine is confined to the woods.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Well i've got my new fave for staying toasty, missus bought me the hillwalker jumper from Woolovers and i'm well happy with it. the patches protect the wear area's and the wool keeps me super warm!
more of them defo on the cards.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I have found my Ullfrotte thermal thermal top under a shaggy Craghoppers fleece has kept me toastie during the cold snap. Wore my Swanndri Mosgiel over the top when out and about.

Ironically the bit I was most grateful for was the cheapest, my new £2.99 Thinsulate hat...

Patrick...

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
When outdoors, muck boots, alpkit socks, merino smelly helly, lowe alpine long johns, montane extreme smock or rab guide glacier, montane extreme salopettes or some patagonia mountain trousers.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
not that it was all that cold yesterday, but i had a cotton mix sports type baselayer, army woolly pully, and my garbadine sass smock. Bottoms were quilted outdoor type trousers with peach skin outers from tchibo, wilson socks from matalan and some magnum desert boots. sweated my ding dang do's off and was very pleased with the jumper smock combination. the dog just had his mk1 fur coat on.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I was given a new, unissued police fleece jacket this morning by a friend of mine.

I was so impressed with it I've just bought another one off eBay for the princely sum of £24.99 including delivery.

Being as tall as I am I struggle to find clothes to fit, but this not only fits, it's as warn as toast too.

Seriously heavy Polartec and, at that price, easily replaced as and when required...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE