What are you wearing to keep warm ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
base layer, fleece pullover coat, fleece lined trousers, buff , hat, gloves, 2 pairs of socks and my latest purchase karrimor snow boots (which are brilliant) and I work outside all year round,

Nenook

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I've been cold. -14 at sunrise in the workshop this morning, normally I just get stuck in and after half an hours work the internal heat just keeps me warm. Today despite thick wool jumper and 3 fleeces, merino socks, gloves hat I still only lasted till lunchtime either feet or hands would get cold depending on the work I was doing. I had to spend the afternoon at home on paperwork.

I reckon the long sleeved merino top and a greasy breakfast will sort it tomorrow.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Today, I have been mostly wearing...........

Thermal top and long johns,
Army OG Lightweight Trousers
Army Issue Norgie
Overalls
Company Branded Fleece Jacket

I'm unable to use anything other than latex gloves for hand protection in the field, which is the only place I'm feeling the cold at present.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sounds like you could do with a woodburner in there Robin, plenty of fuel scraps laying about I bet :)

Problem is I like to work with the big barn doors open, don't like being shut indoors. -5 is fine when you're working, -10 is sort of OK but much below I begin to struggle. Too much clothing and as soon as I start working hard everything gets too hot and sweaty.

standard cotton tshirt
2x cotton hoodies
one padded hoody check shirt thingy
jeans

last weekend when out camping i was wearing -
merino base layer,
5.11 shirt
swanndri shirt
thick wooly pully
thermal underwear
british army lightweights
two pairs of socks one cotton one british army arctics
and to sleep in those tog rated socks.

nice and snug i was too

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Today, t shirt, wool jumper, trakker pertex/fibre top. buff, wool hat, work trousers, socks and work shoes with ice grips, home made mittens..

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
North face mcmurdo parka
Woolrich or Filson wool coat/shirts
Lowa or Lundahg boots Sorel Glaciers for the real cold not yet !
Deerhunter trews
Arctic issue socks n lowe mountain cap

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I'm going oldskool/lowbudget

I wear a longsleeve shirt with a fleecejacket from decathlon and on top a standard issue Dutch military coat from the '80's.
Pants are standard issue too from the same vintage and if it gets really cold I will wear long johns, too.
A pair of wollen socks with Jahti jakt boots, thin woolen gloves with German army combat gloves and a woolen "jeep drivers"-hat and I'm a warm, happy camper.
In heavy snow I wear a German army goretex raincoat, possibly a Jahti broardrimmed hunters' hat, too.
I must admit that temperatures did not drop below -8 though.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i tend to be wearing my usual clothes really, just more of them. no fancy kit for me im afraid!
just a couple of t shirts, a jumper or norweigan shirt and if its snowing i just put on a waterproof just so the snow doesn't melt and get me wet. normal trousers or chainsaw protective ones at work. wooly socks are essential.

when im working i seem to still be just in t shirts, i get too hot otherwhise. i guess this is what you get when you have an outdoors job. when i stop i usually put on another layer or if we are at the yard retreat to the room with the wood burning stove:D, bliss.

pete

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
For work I need to wear shirt & trousers but to keep warm when travelling too and from work I've been wearing my TNF McMurdo Parka, Chocolate Fish merino/possum beanie, merino scarf, Berghaus Windstopper gloves and my TNF Hedgehog mids while we have snow. I also carry a Tog24 fleece jumper in my bag incase I have an extended stay on a train again

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
no..fancy..kit..for..me..just..jeans..para..boots..t..shirt..jumper...fleece..jacket...stayed..out..sunday..in..my..us..bivi..bag..and..i
was..roasting...atb..alza

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
t-shirt, hi-viz top (thin sort)
chainsaw trouses class 1 type C
bridgedale socks
chainsaw wellys

.....................................and cutting like mad ;)...have a big fire too

when i stop swanni bushshirt and a wooly hat

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
chainsaw wellys are so under rated in this weather and dirt cheep too:)
they where about the only present i actually wanted last christmas.

i just wish my he heated handles on my saw worked:(

pete

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
lol so do i pete....i think it just needs a service....i even put the studs in today in the soles of the wellys for extra grip. your very right there about being under rated......sooooo nice to wear !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE