What are you wearing to keep warm ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
hmmmm in the snow we've had i was really wrapping up! long sleeve tshirt and a t shirt over that, a wolfskin jack fleece i've had for years... on top of all that a helikon parka... kept me pretty snug!

the only cold bits i had were my toes, though now i've bought some better socks it's all good :)

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I managed to get a red lightweight merino long-sleeved-tee made by Smartwool back in the summer, that and a microfleece (TKA?) Norwegian type shirt from North Face has been worth it's weight in gold this winter. In the house or knocking around (sometimes it feels colder inside than out!) I also wear a knitted jacket I was given 2 Christmases back, it's a relatively inexpensive Primark type affair (knitted grey acrylic/wool mix on the outside, quilted middle and a polyester/satin type lining, oh and a big big fleece lined collar) but it is super cosy and spends more time on me than anything else but my jeans! And that's only because I get odd looks if I wander around without anything on my lower half :p

When it comes to out and about most of my kit is pretty similar to what I normally wear. I find that it's less my core that suffers (guess it helps that I own a Softy jacket and a Buffalo!) and more my extremities - I don't need to upgrade my jacket, I need to upgrade the stuff that keeps my fingers and toes warm; here's where I can really suffer :(

HH Warm longjohns or British issue bivvy trousers work a treat under normal Craghopper Kiwis, and it makes for a more useful and variable combination than buying Kiwis with a winter lining you cannot remove I think. Also I've got a nice Russian looking trapper hat (fake fur), a thick polar fleece watch hat, and the world's supply of scarfs from Christmases past (think I'm on about 5 or 6 now, all told) so those bases are covered.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
For the last couple of months we haven't had many days when it's got above 0 so working around the cottage outside it's generally............

Ullfrotte 400g top with Swannie Ranger on top
ACU's with base layer long johns under
Ullfrotte socks with sorel boots
Thin gloves, sticky thickies or leather combat gloves and a wool hat

If it gets colder i.e. -10 down, It's normally a softie jacket over the top of the above

If I'm out biviing or being inactive I'll have a down smock instead of the softie with a windproof arctic smock, US miltary trigger mitts with wool liners, maybe an extra pair of socks and softie trousers.

For in the office - T shirt and combats (heater wrongly wired so we have been on 27C and dying.....) often no shoes due to underfloor heating.
For outside work training - synthetic baselayer long sleved, karrimor fleece, regatta kagool, polartec balaclava, climbing helmet, thin cotton gloves full fingered, thicker figerless rope work gloves, safety shoes, wooly socks and fleece lined combats (plus many often un-necessary demonstrations of how to climb a rope using improvised SRT or RAD systems to keep warm)
For outdoors stuff on the weekend or taking the dog for a walk in the evenings, as above but swap merino baselayer, thinsulate gloves and brasher walking boots (also far less stops to keep the warmth going - I am also pretending to get back in shape)

E

ex member coconino

The next time out I shall be sporting the new possum and merino beanie my friend has just brought me back from NZ. I've been wearing it around the house and it's very warm.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
When skiing and walking i wear a Aclima Woolnet crew neck shirt and longpants, depending on the temperature and were I'm going the pants I wear is Fjällräven polar pants or Swedish army felted wool pants, my jacket is a around 20year old Fjällräven Greenland or a Tierra goretex that i only use because it's waterproof. If the feets are warm the rest of the body is warm so on my feet I wear wool socks and knitted wool socks at minimum, boots or Nokian rubber boots with felted wool inside. On my head i wear a simple knitted wool hat and on my hands Hestra Ecocuir Ventile Mitt. If I'm standing still I just add my Dale knitted wool sweater and a warmer hat. This works in temperatures down to around -30c.
It's not perfect but it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE