What are you wearing to keep warm ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Over the last few weeks I've not bothered wearing a shirt and trousers for work and have ended up going for jeans, boots and chunky jumpers nearly everyday.
When it's time to head out and I'm getting layered up at the front door, one item I won't leave without is my Alpkit Filet down vest. Even with a Woolpower 400g top and my Rab pile lined windstopper fleece on top I've still been feeling a chill lately.
Slipping on the Filet over the top instantly warms up my torso and keeps me feeling toasty. I used to think I was warm with just the other gear but adding the down vest really makes a massive difference.

What's you favourite chill beater ?

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
mountain equipment coop down jacket .

got in the m-e coop store in Calgary Canada about 11 years ago .£75 in the sale.

it weighs about 800grams but on the coldest days you can wear it with just a t-shirt underneath .Well toastie!

Craig............

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If im in and out during the day, to avoid sweating in meetings etc. I avoid the woolpower 200g top under a shirt.

If im out all day its well and truly on next to the skin. Its very warm, and I have a pendletons shirt over that and a thick wool jumper.
Then a fleece (posh if in public, dutch army HH wool one if bush whacking) and a ventile top.
Craghopper winter trousers with long johns underneath.

Gloves hat and buff to finish

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've got an eastern european Army greatcoat (or navy?) its a navy colour. the coat weighs a ton! but its fantastically warm! i reckon i could sit still in it at -17 and still be warm its that good. 100% wool and lined too, stops wind, rain and bullets!
extremes don't bother me in that ;)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
My workplace has a big door that is always open, we are not allowed space heaters but got gilets instead(cost effective my A@se).

Choice of Black or Green Aletiuan layer, normal black/gray work trousers, my sorrels passed muster for a few days as my riggers are useless for warm feet.
Regatta fleece is u/s the waterproof jacket too thin.
Alternating between my TNF gilet and my Sasquatch with my trusty City Building HIVIZ, proving i really am from the Glasgow Cowboy Confederacy.
Headgear black BART with my trusty SRU Baseball hat, keeping the winter sun out my eyes. When my ears burn I know its too cold to work outside:campfire: Anyone can be cold but a nice cup of hot char keep my fingers warm.

Last edited:

SRC

Mar 14, 2008
Herts
I've been wearing a Chocolate Fish long sleeve merino zipneck, it's long so stops draughts, North Face puffy jacket. Jeans, merino socks and Brasher walking boots. Merino gloves with goretex lined 'mittens'. Topped off with a cashmere hat. I've been wearing a merino buff as a scarf, as I don't like the tightness of the puffy. The buff is great. I bought it on a whim in the summer and it's been great.

It's my eighth winter wearing the puffy and the walking boots are older still. Not very stylish but warm and practical.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bison Guide shirt, woolpower 600g shirt, Fjällräven Greenland trousers and Meindl Perfekt boots.

(it isn't snowing so much here)

:)

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Merino Longjohns and long sleeve base layer with a Mardale (same as buffalo) Pile/Pertex smock. Then when it gets down to about -6 or so, I pile on a overjacket I had made by Mardale. Rab Vapourise on legs over longjohns, and on top of them My Fyalraven forester trousers (YES, i know i cant spell). This setup was good enough to sleep at the North Wood meet at below minus 10.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woolpower 200 baselayer, Swanni shirt, Harkilla Gore lined Sweater, Polar Buff as a cap, Combats, Smartwool Phd scocks, Magnum Spiders .......... and that is to sit at the computer!
Outside I add a Double Ventile jacket and a pair of woolen gloves.
Unless I am shovelling snow, when I take off the hat, sweater and jacket and swap the gloves for work gloves to protect me from the rubbish handle of the shovel I am using - which I rescued from the river a couple of years ago but have still not found time to fix up!
Ice is a permanent feature of the bedroom and bathroom windows...

Woolpower top (don't know the weight off had, had it for years)
Chunky wool jumpers
Either 2nd hand Moncler down jacket (£8, Stockholm charity shop, but sadly bright red) or this new purchase...
h1-asset_21838103.jpg

Long Johns, Swedish wool socks, Dachstein Mitts etc etc
Nice! I love the snow, except when my flight to Sweden gets cancelled after a 2.5hr drive to Heathrow!

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
if i were to be stupid enough to be out cleaning windows I'd have bamboo longjohns (endicotts) ulltrafleece salopetts ( a revalation in lower back warmth) a merino vest and ls top, sportwool hoody and a ultrafleece jacket from Mountain equipment. fingerless neoprene mitts and lundhags scouts. merino beanie or wool hat on top.

fortunately it's too slippy for window cleaning, and will remain so 'till new year.

I like merino because you can wear it all week, even for bed as pyjamas, without stinking. makes it quicker and warmer to get ready in the morning too.

ultrafleece etc is superb as an outer layer for all but the windyest days, dries quickly and is breathable. no good near fires though. imo the best fleece fabric.

if it gets really cold i wear my buffalo shirt instead of the ultrafleece.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
For walking to the office (-8degC this morning):

Office clothes ie. cotton shirt & tie, trousers
Wool jumper (I went synthetic for years, but I now know that I prefer a good jumper to a sweatshirt)
M65 jacket with my DIY added pile 'sandwich' layer (I'd recommend this mod for the cold)
Neck Warmer or Shemagh
Ski gloves (I've lost my German army mitts...)
Aldi Wool blend socks (great)
Thinsulate lined beanie hat.
German army boots (another great item and my favourite footwear, but I do need thick innersoles and thick socks)

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
at the moment at work im converting a dairy farm into a equestrian school and it is freezing, all pipes are frozen toilets are frozen, cherry pickers wont start and thers nowere to get warm but strangely i love it(apart from my feet).
i been wareing longjons jogging bottoms and army combats on top
on top, webtex wicking base layer,long sleev thermal top, swanndri ranger and windproof fleece
and im toasty except my feet but for christmas iv got some canadian ice and snow boots rated to -40 so hopefully they will do the trick, wotever people think about keeping there feet warm when your stood still on a metal platform(cheery picker) at minus 12 for hours normal boots and two pairs of socks and a hat etc will do very little,shame iv got to wait till christmas
cheers ash

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Bamboo baselayer, T shirt and a fleece, merino leggings for when I'm working outside, and work trousers. British army arctic socks are wonderful things.. lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE