What to take for my 2nd night swinging?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I wild camped for the first time with the Suffolk bushcraft group last month.
Though I have camped in a tent plenty of times I've mostly done it next to my car where weight and space have not been an issue.
I would like to get my kit down to one small Bergen and be able to carry it for a couple of miles minimum.
Now much if that is going toto be down to some training on my part as I am not particularly fit.

Last month it was a fairly warm night. Especially when you consider that it was early March. I can't hope to be so lucky with the weather this time.
I slept in my TW bivi hammock for the first time.
I had the waterproof bottom on which is a bit of a wind shield. I slept on my sheepskin, in a sleeping bag but was wearing thermal top and bottoms, jogging bottoms and a thick jumper. I was cold at 2am (mainly my thighs). I added a huge 8x6foot cotton blanket.
I was really toasty. But that's a lot of kit.

I have available to me...

£3 roll mat - 245g
Sheepskin - 1050g
Down sleeping bag square - 9340g
Synthetic odyssey sleeping bag - 1.32
8x6foot cotton blanket - 1450g

403A158B-7627-4427-925E-BB2E9D655BB1_zpswjshfdqy.jpg

377365AF-86FE-4C13-AC74-018DD43790BF_zpshvkrydpx.jpg

The square down bag was a booty bargain at £2 and was still plastic wrapped.
I've not used it but I've had a test on the sofa and it seems much warmer than the other bag dispute being so much thinner.

So...

What would you take out of those items?
The sheepskin and the blanket are my favourites, but I think they are the heaviest items with the least insulation?

I was planning to use the odyssey sleeping bag as an under quilt. I will be looking on instructions for how to attach.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
put the roll mat under you or in the double thickness pocket of the hammock, leave the sheep skin behind,

Take the the best of the two sleeping bags, maybe take the second sleeping bag as a back up :), you never know with winter camping.....

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Have a look at making an underquilt from a sleeping bag , I will be swinging again this month so will have my snugpak underquilt with me if you want to have a look.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
you can always chuck the stuff your dont really want to take in the landy if you want to swap and try differnt set ups out :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If the square bottomed bag has 2 zips pulls, you can put it over the hammock and use it as an insulating sock with the supension lines coming out of the gap between the zip pulls.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE