What are you waiting for? Get involved.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was looking through some of the meet up threads and I noticed that for the large part, the same names keep cropping up.

Now that is not all that surprising as once you start going to meets they do become quite addictive. I certainly try to get to any that are in striking distance for me.

Addo_Bivi1.jpg

But that started me wondering. Where is everyone else?

We see dozens of threads from new members asking where to go and how to get started. My answer is always the same.

Get involved and sign up for some of the meet ups.

There are meets organised by members all over the country and although they are not usually set up like a course, designed with specific teaching objectives, they are a great introduction and opportunity to learn.

Meet_Up_-1.jpg

The meets attract members at all levels from raw beginners to experts in their fields and I have never met anyone that was not more than willing to share their skills.

People often imagine that you already have to have certain skills or equipment to go to a meet but you might be surprised to find that very little is really needed.

They are usually held on established camp sites so basic toilets and water supplies are not normally a problem. You will of course need some form of shelter but a normal tent is quite sufficient.

Many turn up with tarps and hammocks which is fine too but most sites do not have the available materials for building natural shelters.

Bring something to eat and if necessary the means to heat it. Some sites allow ground fires, most require fires to be off the ground for safety reasons. Again, there is nothing wrong with bringing a simple camping stove if you like.

Obviously you need to be prepared for the conditions you are likely to encounter.

Warm clothing is a good idea, even in Summer the evenings can get cold. Waterproofs and footwear suitable for muddy conditions are sensible too.

A sleeping bag or good warm blankets and an insulated sleeping mat. If you are bringing a hammock, be aware that you will still need insulation under that as well because the bag will be compressed where you contact the hammock.

Ayrshire_Meet1.jpg

Less obvious things to bring are a notebook and a chair of some sort. Most evenings people will gather around camp fires for company and conversation. Many will enjoy a drink or two in moderation. A camp chair will be a welcome comfort for these enjoyable evenings.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, all are willing to share knowledge but most will not impose just in case you are happy working things out on your own.

We all started out somewhere and it’s easy to forget that first time when we hadn’t got a clue how to set up a tarp or what knots to use on a hammock. Ask if you can look at how others have set up, sometimes you will be amazed at the little tips and tricks you can learn or the different ways people have of doing things.

Most of all be prepared to find as welcoming a bunch of people as you could care to meet.

The members of BcUK are a varied breed, they come from all walks of life and have experiences to match.

Perhaps it is that shared interest that creates such an instant sense of camaraderie around the camp fire but I would bet that once you have taken the first step of attending such a meet, your next thought will be:

“When is the next one?...”

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
taken on board Wayland - I think you have identified the problem though, that being a lack of confidence in what may be a totally alien environment....or is that just me? ;)
Seriously, I'm trying to absorb as much as poss. so the next time one comes round in "striking distance" following my aquisition of the basic kit I'll be there!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
While i've been on BCUK since '07, i've never been to a meet and for a couple of reasons.
1 - I hate people with a passion, i'd rather meet one or two people first before meeting a new crowd. Weird considering i'm in the TA and regulary meet people from all over the country. Just ask Black Sheep how long it took to meet me!
2 - Booze. I don't drink, i am not good around drinkers. I used to drink - alot, but booze and knives and axes are not a good mix imo. I don't even go into pubs.
3 - I work every weekend and trying to get time off when you're on the managers "Fave workers list who does his job" is bloody hard.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My very point Telwebb, It's easy to think you need all the gear and to know what's what but nothing could be further from the truth.

At my first meet I introduced myself by falling headlong out of a canoe into a Loch. Hows that for cool?

I had very basic gear and knew absolutely no one. By the end of the weekend I had made some firm friends and was so keen for another one I ended up organising another in the North West.

I really believe that the meets are one of the best parts of this community and it's a shame people are apprehensive about getting involved.

Nat, I understand the "lots of people" thing and know a few others that feel the same.

At most meets there is enough room to find a quiet corner for yourself and choose your own level of company.

There are some people that never visit the main camp fire in the evening, preferring to do their own thing I guess, and most people would agree with you on the alcohol and sharps issue.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You couldn't have put it better Gary. goodjob

I still remember going to my first meet at Rough Close with a bit of trepidation thinking will I find it 'cliquey' but it was far from that. I was made to feel extremely welcome right away and went home knowing that I would be returning there and getting to other meets as when I could. I've made some really good friends that I wouldn't have if I hadn't of gone.

So as Gary says, go for it, you'll be glad to did :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Like Nat, i work weekends(every other one), my wife and i also care for my eldery father, my wife having given up her job to do so while i'm at work, so on my days off its my turn.

Rob

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for starting this thread wayland, support and encouragement of others is one of the most important parts of this online community that we've all chosen to be part of and it's nice to see someone take a pro-active approach to things.

Most meets are on the weekend for obvious reasons, I wonder how much call we'd have for meets that run into the week?

i'm hoping to be able to go someway to answering this question next year with the spitewinter meets. i've spent most of the last 15 years working in the licenced trade and i'm very aware of the fact that there are whole sectors of society out there who's lives are organised the other way up to most folks. with that in mind i'm going to try and organise a mid-week meet up at spitewinter, if there's a reasonable amount of interest then i'll make them a regular thing.

cheers

stuart

Great post Gary, I've always been made to feel very welcome on organised weekends, and met some really great people. Just wish I had more time off work to go on these weekends, as I work every one, and on nights too! (so unless I book holidays, which soon run out, its hard to get out)

I'll watch with interest the mid week meet up idea and see what happens :)

Working Friday to Monday is a real pain, wish I could get a more normal job, but i'm thankful that I have one to pay the bills, I know there are members less fortunate.

cheers, Mike

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
At the moment, with my current job, I can't get to any meets. I'm working away from home, and only get 3 3 week holidays in the UK every year.
I know that sounds a lot, but I'm overseas the rest of the time.
I always enjoy meetups. I remember my first, at Sandbenders place.
No-one knew anyone, no-one knew what to expect, everyone had a ball.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive been made to feel very welcome at the meets. I learnt a lot before I attended my first meet, but have also learnt a large amount at the meets, including that there is more than one way to do many things.

Having a busy life means time spent outdoors camping in the woods is a treat at the moment, so I like to meet up sociably and in a relaxed manner to break from the normal pace, and catch up with mates and make more.

Passing on skills is something I enjoy doing, and a combination of this, learning a few more tricks, and having fun, makes the very low cost of meets a great way to spent time.

Sometimes, just the chats, and laughs around the fire are worth the trip :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
At the moment, with my current job, I can't get to any meets. I'm working away from home, and only get 3 3 week holidays in the UK every year.
I know that sounds a lot, but I'm overseas the rest of the time.

You were at my first one too. I think you may have even seen me take the swim at Loch Achray if I recall.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
Much apprieciated post , I'll make an effort for the more local meets . Afterall the worst that can happen Is I learn stuff .
Cheers , Trev .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I was really not sure about going to that one. I had no idea what to expect at all. Me and Vhairi and a group of green clad, knife wearing, uber capable men, who knew all about this bushcrafty thing, we'd never met before. ( I had spent a couple of hours at Loch Tay doing a recce there with Doc and Sandbender looking for a site for the Meet up, but that was it) and we had a ball :D
I still talk to everyone of the folks who came along to that meet :D
A couple of photographs while Sandblender sorts through the rest.

meet1.jpg

From the top left we have Eric_Methven, MagiKelly, Sandblender, Match, Doc, John_C and Troy along the back, In the middle row we have Graham_S, then in the front row Vhairi, Ross (I am a firestarter), Toddy, JFW and on the far right Stuart (who we all love dearly if he gets us access to a good site)

Now of course we all brought some cutlery with us.

meet2.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering why public sites are worried about us.

But seriousley there was so much to do that generally the site was a hive of industry.

meet3.jpg

Roll on the next meet.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
once again well said and its the reason i go to meets cos there truely a in a class of there own cos theres learning like a course but its not then there the social like a few mates going camping but then there also 60odd people there so its not and well its just an amazing time and i have made many a good friend at meets and moots so rock on and well said waylad drew

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I recall that meet Mary, it was my first one and I did feel anxious coming along, but that vanished on the way up with Erics stories and the welcome that everyone got.
Great fun and nobody judging anyone elses kit or skills except in positive ways, suggesting and encouraging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE