Welsh bushcrafters beware !!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For the sake of discussion, reverse the question: You prove to me that there are NO big cats in the UK.

Can you, or is there is too much evidence to the contrary?

If you are testing an argument or theory, always reverse your question - if you think something may exist, ask yourself to prove that it does NOT exist and work from that perspective.

Err, you do realise that its pretty much impossible to prove a negative in a situation like this?

The burden of proof usually lies with those claiming something does exist.

Bit like God then.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Where did they come from? How are they feeding? Why have there been no attacks on people? Why has no carcass of a big cat been found? Where is the government warnings, concidering they likeeto warme to keep my dog on a lead for the sake of nesting birds so a warning about possible large predators in the area wouldn't go a miss? Why haven't there been any proven cases of domestic animals bring killed by a large cat after chasing something into the undergrowth? Where are the vet reports into the bite imprints of farmed livestock that are killed by another animal stating that it was definatly a large predator that killed it?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Err, you do realise that its pretty much impossible to prove a negative in a situation like this?

The burden of proof usually lies with those claiming something does exist.

Bit like God then.

God is a bit like a wild predator?
I like that:)
I have seen enough to convince me of "The Beast of Boncath" but then I belive in God (of a sort) as well:)
Call me "gullable" if you like ...a friend of mine is a Bishop....

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Yes, of course, the doubters may have a point and I concede.

This climate is unsuitable for wild cats, there are no food sources for them, no water or places of refuge, they would have all been ran over by motor cars or shot by farmers by now, if they were ever here at all.

They simply cannot be here, I know this for certain as I have never seen one.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
How many carcasses of any animal do any of you actually come across?

I haven't came across a natural deer kill at all and I can assure you they are abundant.

I found a fox carcass the other day but impossible to determine cause of death, likewise a Heron carcass a few yards on.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ian Maxwell made a programme on it in 2006. The evidence he found is pretty compelling. There are plenty of domestic animal kills and carcasses found, plus missing pets too. How many thousands of badgers, foxes and otters live their lives without being seen and without leaving traces of their bodies when dead. My local woods has a very healthy population of badgers (at least 15), plus foxes. I have never found a body in those woods, despite visiting it regularly and covering every square inch. Cat species are far more secretive and difficult to find.

As to where they are coming from. The illegal exotic pet trade in this country is second only to drugs. It only takes a few bored people letting their pets go to cause this problem. You don't expect to find foreign venomous snakes roaming the place, but as some of you know, I've been called out to plenty. They let them go through fear of being caught, because they can't afford them, or even have escapees. It's a huge trade, and there are many illegal keepers in the UK.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes, of course, the doubters may have a point and I concede.

This climate is unsuitable for wild cats, there are no food sources for them, no water or places of refuge, they would have all been ran over by motor cars or shot by farmers by now, if they were ever here at all.

They simply cannot be here, I know this for certain as I have never seen one.

The climate is very suitable for them, in fact it is perfect for the majority of cat species. Even tigers can be found high in the snow covered himalayan mountains. And there are plenty of water sources and food. Our countryside is full of water sources and food.

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
I know for a fact that a bloke not far from me that had a big cat and he released it to the wild rather than have it taken off him.
I cant remember what it was though.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I'd love to have more evidence...but all i know, 15 years ago, relation, animal hit, car crash, police, carcass found nearby a day or so later.....carcass believed to be 'large cat'......was even weighed 9 stone 8, sent to a university for study.....later repoort stated......large dog......

I'd be thought of as a nutter if i swore by it......but i drive the same stretch of road every working day and always keep an eye out.....trust me if i catch a glimpse.....i'll bring evidence.....and it will stay with me.....no press censoring!

The relations in question (two in the car) had no reason to elaborate.....but hey....i still sit on the fence.....seeing as the report said large dog.....what possible reason is there for falsifying a report.

My point being, just because you hear of no proof.....doesn't mean proof has not been found

Mojo

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
When i was in the forest of dean, i did find some very heavy, large prints that looked like they belong to a large cat, but for all i know I was following some guy with a cardboard foot!

I would have to agree with JD, there are enough people who release their illeagal pets for there to be large cats in the uk.
Saying that, I met am man from Cheltenham who had hundereds of photos of pumas/ panthers all illegidly taken nearby.

I'm pretty sure there is a website that moniters the country with cameras too, and they have had some pretty conclusive results.

I don't really think im going to believe this siting though, just for the sake of being contradictory to the press.

Old story, awoken by the lack of contraversial headlines. Personally id find it rather amusing if I was killed by a panther outside their indiginous country!:D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Another thing to look out for if looking through optics or camera is that things can appear larger (obviously) but compared to a similar size object an optical illusion occurs.

I can see this whilst birding but as an example..

Once when at a hide over a loch I saw a cat walking between the cattle in a field over the other end.
It was obviously a normal kitty by the colour but it did look much larger than it really was through the optics.

I do believe they're out there but mistakes are easily made with some sightings.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
For the sake of discussion, reverse the question: You prove to me that there are NO big cats in the UK.

Can you, or is there is too much evidence to the contrary?

If you are testing an argument or theory, always reverse your question - if you think something may exist, ask yourself to prove that it does NOT exist and work from that perspective.

Actually from a scientific perspective, the negative question only makes sense if you have a testable hypothesis to start with, otherwise you end up with absurdities like trying to prove that dragons and gorgons do not exist. FWIW I can well believe that there are big cats out there but there needs to be a sound method of proving there are not otherwise the best way to proceed is to go out and find one.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
FWIW I can well believe that there are big cats out there but there needs to be a sound method of proving there are not otherwise the best way to proceed is to go out and find one.

The doubters are saying 'I haven't seen one therefore they don't exist' ...

... and the obvious flaw in that argument is - just because you haven't seen one does not mean they don't exist, it just means that you haven't seen one.

To phrase my personal null-hypothesis: There are no big cats living wild in the UK.

However, there already exists some evidence to disprove that hypothesis - there have been many credible sightings, witness reports, photographs, etc.

My question to the doubters: Why do you doubt the existence of these animals in this country? Are you saying that they could not possibly survive unnoticed?

Last edited:

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
Tese beggars have large territories and move around a lot - there is pleanty of cover and food for them!
I live near an active badger set - but raely see them.
I paddle on the Tivy - but rarely see the famous otters.
Rare beasts are seen....rarely!

superb this man is a legend i camp out in woodland once a fortnight stories like this is what makes it even more magical for me plus i normaly camp alone defently keeping the chete in the belt sheath whilst camping this thurs as iam camping alone awoooooooooooooooo

I believe that they exist, I have seen things on more than one occasion in different locations. I didnt call the police or report it to the press because I know the ridicule that some folk dish out at the "crazy" folk that see things. I also dont particularly like to be in the spotlight for anything. If you dont believe me I dont really care. I dont want or need to prove anything to anyone. One of my good friends has also reported sightings and I have no reason to disbelieve him either.
I have never seen a badger dead or alive. I have seen otters dead and alive in the wild. I have also seen wildcats in the wild which is a very rare occurrence. However I lived in the middle of the wildcats territory for 10 years and saw one on 2 occasions in all that time.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Some years ago, my brother had a forest beat in Shropshire, the local police spoke to the press and local radio to dispel peoples worries over sightings of a "big cat" in the area and that it was only a large domestic cat or a stray dog. The police bod who spoke on the local radio then phoned my brother to arrange a meeting with the rangers. At this meeting he said that one of the sightings had been by an officer on duty and could they all be on their guard!

Reality as portrayed by the press and "fact" are not the same. There is obviously a policy to avoid the sort of lunacy that surrounded the "Beast of Bodmin" sightings by casting doubt on the veracity of the reports. This then affects people's willingness to make the reports in the first place.

Now if I were to come across a beast of this sort (and I would dearly love to) would I share my experience with the press? No chance. I would let the beastie live out its days in peace and quiet, happy to know in my heart that I know how wild this country is.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE