Welsh bushcrafters beware !!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
At the end of the day, we believe in what we want to believe in:-

- I believe in God - because I want to and noone has proved me wrong
- I believe most people are good - same reasons
- I believe there are beasties out there - same reasons

and I REALLY want to believe that I never come across a mean or hungry one!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
At the end of the day, we believe in what we want to believe in:-

- I believe in God - because I want to and noone has proved me wrong
- I believe most people are good - same reasons
- I believe there are beasties out there - same reasons

and I REALLY want to believe that I never come across a mean or hungry one!

I am with you there!

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
IF.....any thing is out there then it is probs just an escaped or released exotic pet, the thing that baffles me is the fact that we can not catch it, just to prove to us all that these beautiful animals exist in our country side, we don't have the best wildlife in the world and it would be a honor to see these elusive creatures every once in a while. all i ask for is SOLID proof, somebody to show me this is what we have caught in this place and this is where we are going to release it again then let it go again,

they obviously don't attack us humans because from what i understand there has only been a handful of stalking cases(i don't even believe them) and to be honest if you have a puma type cat stalking you the chances of getting away are pretty slim so they are not a problem.

i just want the proof, and not hear say, hear say is for myths and i don't believe in myths, big cat stories have been around in Britain since the 1760s

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
IF.....any thing is out there then it is probs just an escaped or released exotic pet, the thing that baffles me is the fact that we can not catch it, just to prove to us all that these beautiful animals exist in our country side, we don't have the best wildlife in the world and it would be a honor to see these elusive creatures every once in a while. all i ask for is SOLID proof, somebody to show me this is what we have caught in this place and this is where we are going to release it again then let it go again,

they obviously don't attack us humans because from what i understand there has only been a handful of stalking cases(i don't even believe them) and to be honest if you have a puma type cat stalking you the chances of getting away are pretty slim so they are not a problem.

i just want the proof, and not hear say, hear say is for myths and i don't believe in myths, big cat stories have been around in Britain since the 1760s

As I keep saying, how many carcasses of native and abundant wildlife quite apart from live specimens do the average person come across.

I have spent many hours in the field as such and haven't seen e.g a Badger carcass unless roadkill and they are abundant around me.

Now, when it comes to stealth, i'm sure a feline is better at it than fox or Badger and they can be wiley creatures.

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
As I keep saying, how many carcasses of native and abundant wildlife quite apart from live specimens do the average person come across.

I have spent many hours in the field as such and haven't seen e.g a Badger carcass unless roadkill and they are abundant around me.

Now, when it comes to stealth, I'm sure a feline is better at it than fox or Badger and they can be wiley creatures.

i fully understand what you are saying Barn owl and i understand what these cats are capable of, what i think the problem is is the fact that if it is released that we have big cats in Britain then it would cause mass panic and everybody would lock the doors and get tesco to deliver their food to the door and work from home, because the general population of this country are scared of a dog off its leash.

i just need something more solid than a blurred picture, and its not just one picture its almost ALL pics taken that are blurred or faint or out of proportion and focus even cameras in the 80s had good focus and a zoom
i could turn around tonight and say i saw a Bengal tiger in my back garden sooner or later somebody will believe me and that's how rumors are started and the whole thing goes wild....(see what i did then...WILD ! get it :Op )

i am just saying I NEED MORE.......if any body has that more then please send it my way, I'm sure the truth is out there.....i want to believe(my little x-files joke)
but on the other hand maybe some things are best left unsaid and are best left a mystery and its that what makes this subject so fascinating to us all.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Dunno about big cats, but certainly there are exotic amphibians and reptiles being released. I used to live up on an island on the west coast of Scotland, at a marine biological station, and have to take groups of students out onto the rocky shore and show them the creatures living there. We'd be walking along, turning over rocks, and I'd be saying "Ok, shore crab, yes, that's starfish, and ...oh. A fire-bellied toad. Okaaaaay". We once found a Ball Python under a rock. it was believed there was a local with a passion for these beasts, and a short attention span. He released them when he got fed up.

Made for interesting fieldwork!

Fluffy

Feb 8, 2009
kent
The black beast of Ramsgate that was about when I was a kid turned out to be our American Doberman, which was getting out of the compound by doing a goat like leap from pillar to pillar to roam the town.
It was caught when my father was walking home from work about 2am.
This big black shape (ooeer, it's the Black Beast) detached itself from the shadows, put its paws on his shoulders and started licking his face.

In contrast my friend's daughter was riding in the roads near their farm in France, with a friend.
The horses got a bit skittish and both girls dismounted.
A large cat came out of the front of the abandoned farm and crossed the road about 50 yards in front of them (to be fair they were in France so it was probably 50 metres, but you get the idea)
They rang the police and were told it was probably a domestic cat.
My friends daughter replied that it stood about a metre high and was about two or three (with the tail) long.
Police marksmen shot it.
It had escaped from a local private zoo.
There was a half eaten lamb found on the abandoned farm, paw prints leading to their own farm where they kept horses and one dead horse.
One cat, lots of evidence.

Obviously the escapees are brighter in England (and Wales)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The black beast of Ramsgate that was about when I was a kid turned out to be our American Doberman, which was getting out of the compound by doing a goat like leap from pillar to pillar to roam the town.
It was caught when my father was walking home from work about 2am.
This big black shape (ooeer, it's the Black Beast) detached itself from the shadows, put its paws on his shoulders and started licking his face.

In contrast my friend's daughter was riding in the roads near their farm in France, with a friend.
The horses got a bit skittish and both girls dismounted.
A large cat came out of the front of the abandoned farm and crossed the road about 50 yards in front of them (to be fair they were in France so it was probably 50 metres, but you get the idea)
They rang the police and were told it was probably a domestic cat.
My friends daughter replied that it stood about a metre high and was about two or three (with the tail) long.
Police marksmen shot it.
It had escaped from a local private zoo.
There was a half eaten lamb found on the abandoned farm, paw prints leading to their own farm where they kept horses and one dead horse.
One cat, lots of evidence.

Obviously the escapees are brighter in England (and Wales)

Dammit - of course they are!
Your average BRITISH Black Beast can run rings around any offering from Jonney Frog!
It is not for nothing that we trounced those "cheese eating surrender monkeys" and their daft moggies at Waterloo you know!
One British escaped feline is worth ten of Jonnie forigners escaped felines any day of the week!

Signed - Major Piphlington Sourdice-Hornesby The Alma, Tunbridge.

Mind you a Welsh Wildcat is worth TWENTY of those mochyn Sais pussy-cats - innit bach?
Morgan ap Morgan - his mark.

Or should we not venture it nationalities of the beasties?
;)

May 10, 2010
Bolton
my point is, if it was a big scary cat, you would of checked, and then took photo's of the paw prints and any other clues it left behind just incase the original photo did not come out. With a deer, no problem I will probably see another one so no issue.

If there was a big cat roaming the country, it would of been photographed by now, tracked by rae mears, caught on cctv etc.. Not only that, its droppings would of been found and maybe a mauled corpse with distinctive bite / claw marks on it.

I woudnt go beliveing it because someone claimed they saw one. So far, no evidance. Maybe in canada yes, but in UK it would of been long found by now.

have any of you doubters actually done any research on the matter? i don't know whether or not there are any out there now but there is no way of knowing that, but wild cats have been present in the uk in the wild for the past 30 years, FACT!

There was the case in 1980 of "Felicity the puma", captured by farmer Ted Noble at Cannich in Scotland. Her capture was followed by a string of sightings in the area. Felicity was sent to the Highland Wildlife Park in Kinguisse where she remained for the rest of her life.

There was an Eurasian Lynx, shot in 1991 in Norfolk by an illegal hunter, it was found in his freezer during a police raid after it was reported he was shooting birds of pray. The lynx had killed around 15 sheep in the space of two weeks. Another Eurasian lynx was killed in 1996 in Northern Irland. There are credible reports that in 1987 a police officer killed a puma near Greenwich Observatory in London.

It is clear that cats have been out there, and therefore considering the ongoing reports and sightings there may be more still out there, i don't understand why anybody would argue there can't be any?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Black Mamba found in Coventry?

Eek you will be finding alligators in our world famous sewers next.

Coventry sewers are famous for being under Italy ~ and you'd be more likely to become road kill than gator grub ;) .

Mind you, in the Eighties, there were reports of a large, free floating, unidentifyable 'mold blob' in the city's sewers :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE