Weird crane flies.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Last night a daddy long legs type fly came into out kitchen. I say "type" fly because i have never seen anything like it. It was HUGE. Its body was around 2 inches long and it was meaty its wings have tiger like stripes across them and it has small pincer like things at its rear. It almost looks like a cranefly/dragonfly cross.

Any ideas? I will post pics later, maybe in the morning.

Calculon

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Old South Wales
Sounds a bit like one of the Tiger Cranes, seems to be a lot of them around this year.

Try Google images or WAB you might find something similar.

Cheers

Calc

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It would seem to me from reading things on here and elsewhere that there are lots of everything this year. I have noticed an abudance of life around me that just hasnt been there for a while.

Nothing happens without reason.

What causes population booms? why do they happen from nowhere and without apparent noticable reason?

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
i think its to do with a lack of natural predators, as we all know a few common and not so common garden birds are on the rapid decline, birds that usually feed on insects, the bigger and slower flying the better!

of course i could be wrong, nature is in a constant state of flux which is completely unpredictable, there could be any number of reasons i suppose!

Pictures please!

cheers dan

Calculon

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Old South Wales
It would seem to me from reading things on here and elsewhere that there are lots of everything this year. I have noticed an abudance of life around me that just hasnt been there for a while.

What causes population booms? why do they happen from nowhere and without apparent noticable reason?

I think some years conditions are perfect at the bottom of the food chain, which causes abundance all the way up. Apparently this seems to be a good year for birds laying a second clutch of eggs due to the abundance of insects.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland

Oh, its just the end of the world again, the bugs are getting ready to outlast it.
Have you checked your kit?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I remember a kind of stripped crane fly when i was canoeing the Dee in chester.
I specificaly remember the stripes as they bt through two layers of clothing :rant:
Awfull bloody things they were and the bite was also painful unlike most mozzies.

No idea what they were called, although i did have a name for them "little ******"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE