Gobsmacked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
A few years ago, I invested in moleskin trousers from the UK.
The current price is 175 UK pounds. I wore them a few times
and loved them before summer heat put them away.
I was homeless for nine months.
I’m now housed and volunteer for the veterans group that helped me. Another volunteer mentioned he was taking clothing articles to a charity thrift store. Sadly, My body added a few inches, and no amount of dieting or exercise helped. My MD said it was normal at my age and I was fine. A refit was prohibitive and not enough material to let out.
I thought to donate them. Woman
Took a quick look ‘ We don’t accept PANTS with cuffs. NOBODY wears cuffs ( turn ups) anymore’
The other volunteers looked as shocked as I. ‘ I guess that makes me a nobody?’ Her reply ‘ I guess so.’
I gather the TROUSERS and put them back in the car. Meanwhile, the other volunteer announces I was formerly homeless and eligible for $50 free clothing. I get looks wondering if I was a drug addict or mentally ill. I walked down the single, pathetic rack of cheap
Denhim trousers, plastic shirts and glued together, BLACK orphaned suit jackets. I wouldn’t mop the floor with any. I left.
I posted an online advert. Sold both AT A PROFIT. Expat Brit, loved the braces buttons and fly:
My long legs affording ample room for tailoring.
I used the proceeds for new
Albert Thurston Braces. Bought a limited edition silk in red with dancing girls. NOBODY wears those either.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Do the Saville Row Tailors have a patron Saint? I went down to Hollywood. There are several shops that bid on surplus studio wardrobe collections. A lot is knackered with makeup or special effects, or off the rack costumes useful to a steampunk or rennfaire type. Anyone enter a shop and an item whispers ‘ over here, yes Take me home?’
Three piece wool suit; every classic
British tailoring detail from the trouser turn ups to wide, wing lapels, ticket pocket, double vents and braces buttons.
I figured the fates would make it totally out of my size range.
Donned jacket- sleeves need work but it FIT. Ditto trousers and waistcoat. $50 USD near mint and dry cleaned.
Came home and off to our local alterations tailor. His eyes widened.
It’s full canvas, none of this fused stuff. I left it. He calls me, suits ready, and oh: I found the loose label in the pocket. It IS Saville Row!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Charity shops are very questionable these days... not all, but some.

Unfortunately in the UK so many are tied by regulations, especially surrounding furniture and fire regs... don't get me wrong, no one wants a flaming inferno in their front room, but equally 6 great condition wooden chairs with a padded seats being rejected because they havn't got a fire label stunned me...perhaps the onus should be avoiding setting things alight in the first instance?
But then on the other side of the coin, they welcomed a large plastic bag full of torn clothes that I personally thought were total junk and explained to them my thoughts...

Glad to hear you made a positive from a less so experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE