Waterstone vs diamond/ceramic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
That's not a stoopid question at all! A lot of people ask the exact same thing!

The diamond side is the shiny side (the diamond is embedded in nickel) while the grey side is the ceramin side.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I dont own a DC4 Lurch but ceramic is usaully denoted by being white - although I am sure there will be loads of answers shortly!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Waterstones were an important way for me to learn how to sharpen (plane irons & chisels) because you have to maintain a steady angle, (or get a gouged surface as they are so soft). I wore out my first combi stone (well part of it delaminated and broke, the 800 grit side being only 4 or 5 mil thick after much usage) I kept a 1200 grit piece (about the size of a tic tac box) to polish-finish axes etc. By the way the 1200 dust left over from truing on glass and abrasive paper is good for stropping. (I've dry-stropped gouges with waterstone dust on soft wood board - after a few seconds you see your face in the metal, and it is sharp. Also you can buy small Jap w/s slipstones about the size of a fag packet that you could put inside a glasses case or tin to carry in your pocket. Anyway what would you use to cut a waterstone in 2 ?? :?: Neither use nor ornament

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hi Lurch

on the DC4 whetstone the shiny metal side is the dimond side!!!!!! the brown side is the ceramic side the sparkly bits you can see on the brown side are synthetic sapphires

Lurch said:
Cheers chaps.
I figured it was probably the shiny one, but....
...the doubt set in!
Incidentally the other side is brown with sparkly bits in.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Sorry for dragging up old threads but....

I work as a joiner and after dropping my oilstone (I now have two oilstones :rolleyes: ) a few years ago I bought a diamond hone, I can quickly get my Plane irons (blades that is) and chisels shaving sharp with it.

I have dropped it a few times and it's still fine and it lives in my toolbox and gets battered about a bit.
I don't think I will ever go back to stones nowadays and just about all the lads I work with borrow it if they can.
Japanese waterstones sound like a good idea for the workshop but not much cop for site use let alone for out and about camping and so on, and I wont even go into the half a stone idea.

About the only thing to remember about diamond hones is to make sure they are fully before storing them.

Just my take on the deal anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE