water quality in Wales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
Hi folks,

I am going to walk offa's dyke and I was wondering what the quality of the water is in wales near the English border. I plan not to visit towns to often so if it is possible to get water from streams and rivers along the way it would be great.

Is it clean enough to filter it with a filter that gets out bacteria such as giardia, or is that not enough and should I boil it? or is it not drinkable at all?

hope to get some good advise...

Joeri

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
HI Joeri,
The water on the Welsh side is great, only spoilt by the english stuff mixing with it....... ;)

Thats a spoof, if you have a filter that does all that you've mentioned, you should be OK. If the farmers are anything like the ones around here, they won't mind if you knock on their door to ask for a replenishment if you're passing anyway.
If you do refill from streams etc, make sure you do a good recce upstream for dissagreeable things in the water and take all sensible precautions, as I'm sure you would anyway.

ATB

Hope you enjoy the walk.

Ogri the trog

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
For info, Giardia is a single celled animal (protozoa) not a bacterium. Water filters will remove it easily.

I would definitely not drink untreated water, but water from an upland source that has been boiled or put through a water filter (like the pre-mac) should be fine.

Trail walker tested some streams in the Lake District. All had coliforms (faecal bacteria) above the recommended limits. I expect it is a similar story round Offa's Dyke.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I used to live just down from Hay Bluff in the black mountains. There is so much civilisation (sheep, farming etc.) it's not worth drinking the water, you can't avoid the locals so you may as well ask for tap water and save lugging all the filters with you.

When you want a change there are some superb pubs on the route!!! Particularly the bar in the cellar of Llanthony Priory.

WDBurns

Jan 1, 2011
Chester
I walked Offa's Dyke a few years ago, nearly always an opportunity to ask for water. I did refill from taps at cattle troughs but boiled water well for tea (wild-camping).

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
HA!

I remember a couple of years back the the NW coast was brought to a standstill with cryptosporidium, that was from one of the reservoirs up in the hills becoming contaminated, be careful dude!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Also suffered with Foot & Mouth a good few years ago, all clear now.

Not necessarily,
while the disease itself has long gone, the legacy of run-off water coming from areas where burried bodies of aminals laid for a few weeks (one of the less wise descissions made at the time) still affects wide areas, specifically around the military ranges of Mid Wales.

Ogri the trog

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I presume it will have sheep poop in it until proven other wise. I would boil or use tablets to remove bacteria. Springs are marked on OS maps, they won't be dry this time of year. There is plenty of streams and springs. The rain is reallyclean, and there is normally plenty of that.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's no single answer for Offa's Dyke - the lowlands are heavily grazed and I wouldn't trust any water not to be contaminated (not polluted mind just not clean) so would filter and boil. In the uplands get as close to source as possible and it should be fine. I don't tend to treat that water in any way as it tastes fantastic straight from the ground and is spoilt by boiling. That's not advice! just telling you what I do - if you end up with Delhi Belly I deny everything :)

Very often the water from cattle trough taps is straight from the ground gravity fed from higher land - just 'cos it's from a tap it does not mean it's clean. Have a look in the odd farm storage tank and you'll be put off for life - dead rabbits, unidentifiable sludge and usually midge lava. I would often trust a high-up stream source before an outside farm tap.

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE