Watching Ray Mears saved my life!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Funnily enough I was there just two weeks ago when bandel4 and I were conducting a castaway survival programme.

While I am glad they remembered Ray’s advice, in their preparation they were more like Bear – “equipped only with a camera, flip flops and board shorts to face two days in the jungles….”

Its good they are alive and well but their judgment was seriously flawed. There are clear signs in English at the start that they need to hire a guide before entering that forest.

These hills are subject to mountain like weather being near the sea

Here are some photos. Would you attempt to reach a ridge at 700 meters and then follow it to a summit around 800meteres which clearly looked like this with the kit they had?

The summit

P3050115Small.jpg

The ridge

P3050148Small.jpg

The ‘gentle’ part of the slope

P3050152Medium.jpg

Top of the Telaga Tujuh looking down on the canopy

P3050155Small.jpg

Weather changes in minutes

P3050138Small.jpg

The stream they walked beside before getting lost

P3050142Small.jpg

What is strange is that they came out on the other side of the watershed so at some point they must have descended and were close to a road before going back in to the other side!

I don’t know where exactly they came out but this is the sort of terrain they would have seen.

P3060265Small.jpg

P3060275Small.jpg

Sea eagle in this shot
P3060276Small.jpg

What they did not know is that there is a population of salt water crocodiles nearby (who probably would not have bothered them)

It is not a short walk like they said but 6-7 hours there and back if there are no problems. You should go expecting that you will overnight in the bush if the weather changes or you are slower than you thought.

Its a really beautiful place. Such a pity they did not get to enjoy it

Still it shows that you can act like Bear and actually get away with it though I’m certain that at some point each of them was a moment away from disaster but for great luck or divine intervention whichever you believe in.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Wow breath taking scenery and yes they must have been pretty stupid to attempt that climb in flip flops! :rolleyes:

The last part of what they attempted was the worst, to try and swim towards some boats while in a physically exhausted state, how they all survived is a minor miracle. I think in that position I'd have walked along the coast to find a settlement.

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
It seems they broke every rule in the book; no outdoor gear, no supplies, flip-flops (!), didn't tell anyone where they were going, ignored warning signs, left the path and then tried to swim to safety in an exhausted condition rather than trying to signal in some way. Anyway, if they were sure that swimming was the only way, 2 of them could have stayed on dry land while the best swimmer went alone to raise help.

Hopefully as they dine out on this one they'll remember that it was their own stupidity that nearly killed them.

Lovely looking place, shame they missed it...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stunningly beautiful area BOD, what a shame they made such a mess of things for themselves.
Thank you for posting the photos :D

cheers,
Toddy

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How the hell did they have no water in a rainforest? Followed a river but had no water. Muppets. They could have easily explored the jungle for 3 or 4 weeks no bother, but were near certain death after 2 days?

As said above very lucky to be alive. Swimming? eh? Some people make themselves victims,

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
At least they got out.

How the hell did they have no water in a rainforest? Followed a river but had no water. Muppets
Townies who don't really think of the wilderness as somewhere to live see the water in the river as poisonous and wouldn't even dream of drinking it unless they were on the edge of dehydration and even then the probably wouldn't. They'd be looking for taps.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
At least they got out.

Townies who don't really think of the wilderness as somewhere to live see the water in the river as poisonous and wouldn't even dream of drinking it unless they were on the edge of dehydration and even then the probably wouldn't. They'd be looking for taps.

:D Most probably. Just hope no one tells them what actually comes out of our taps then

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
If I were to judge a book by it's cover then I would have to say that these three idiots would become lost in Harrods if there were no exit signs.
Two days where they were does not equate to a 'survival' situation.
'Being uncomfortable' might cover it.
Journos having a quiet day, perhaps?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek: If they'd seen Ray MearsOr Bear Grylls programmes they'd have realised that jungle exploration is actually pretty damn hard, and potentially life threatening!

I guess we all like to "push ourselves" but even Ray and Bear have Camera men with them, and Links to first aid and probably a helicopter rescue (+ a hotel and slap up meal in Rays case:lmao: ).

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Foolhardy in the extreme.
I mean flip flops!, no provisions!, no map, no common sense whatsoever,,,for a trek through the jungle! You couldn't make it up.
How can anyone be so stupid? These people shouldn't be allowed out of their house never mind the country!
Great pics btw Bod, brings back fond memories of my time in Thailand

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE