"warm" light battery lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I'm looking for a hanging lantern that runs on batteries,

BUT I want something that has a diffused light with a neutral to warm tint. I say neutral because most of the lanterns/torches have a very cold light, and the warm light lanterns only bring the colour temperature back to nearer neutral.

I like my parafin storm lantern, but it just isn't bright enough, and I can't stand the hiss of a Tilley/Vapalux lantern.

In the states there is "warm light" version of the alpkit lantern, and again in the states there was a Brunton polar lantern, that might have done. Now discontinued.

This lantern,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

but badged as Rayovac, gets good comments in reviews, but with comments on how cool the light is. People have replaced the LEDs with warmer ones, but I can't be bothered with that.

Apparently the warm light cree LED is more expensive than the cool light version, and not routinely used.

I did wonder about the Q3 version of the Zebralight 501, as that could work as a lantern hung from the central tent pole. But I would rather have something with more batteries and more lantern like.

The other thought was a Black Diamond apollo which is meant to be a bit warmer than the other two lanterns they do, but I don't know how warm that is.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks,

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I used to have an old gerber lantern which gave out a lovely warm -almost orange light with 3 LED settings. Unfortunately i left some old batteries in it which leaked and killed it :(
Cant seem to find a link but as it was so long ago i am not surprised, although this one seems to fit the bill, cheap too. http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=909

Thanks, that's a good call as its the same lantern as the Brunton Polar that I mentioned. But I couldn't find a UK supplier, and not that fond of the camo finish. It's hard to find in UK, and most of the time it came up with a not availalble or discontinued label. Its not on the Gerber web site, so I gues that like the Brunton Polar, it is also now discontinued.

However, I did find it here http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/.Gerber-Balefire-LED-Lantern-Camo_013658801233.htm at £43 + £3 p&p. Presumably old stock.

I may yet consider this one, but need to get my head around the camo finish.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
This is still a paraffin hurricane lantern but perhaps the top reflector will give the light you need

http://www1.westfalia.net/shops/ele.../camping_lights/528666-paraffin_wick_lamp.htm I'm tempted to get one myself.

Tesco have an LED with a similar reflector setup as the Gerber, IIRC £6 or £7. I looked at it, good quality, 'Rubberised' case.

Needless to say, I like the paraffin lamp :)

Very tempted by that one. I will have a look in Tesco's the next time I am in, for the battery lantern.

Thanks,

Graham

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
For a battery lantern it should be possible to obtain lighting "gels" from a theatrical or photographic lighting supplier that can filter the light to any colour you like.

Thanks, and yes, this could certainly be done, and as an ex professional industrial/scientific photographer its something I could sort out. I'm not really looking for an obvious "colour" as such just to bring the 6000k to 7000K of the white cree LEDs down to something in the 4500K to 5000K. That's one of the reasons I'm not 100% convinced about the Gerber/Bruntun lantern that uses an orange filter. I don't want the light to be obviously coloured just take way the cold light feeling that most of the LEDs have. However, as you suggest this could still be done with the correct filtering.

I would rather find a built in solution though.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
An 81 series filter is all you would need for a simple light temperature correction.

I possibly have some of these, but would need a few of them to cover the globe. But maybe I should have a look. I don't think I have touched them for 20 - 25 years !!

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Well I ended up with one of these:

http://www.outwell.com/en/Products/OtherAccessories/Lamps/Superior400LXR.aspx

They are advertised a giving a "soft warm illumination", and GO Outdoors had them at £42.49 over the weekend. The Outwell models are a bit dearer than the other badged version of this lantern, and given the wording I took the chance that Outwell were supplying the "warm light" version.

Certainly, it doesn't have that cold feel of other LED lanterns/torches I've seen, and the soft illumination lights up the tent nicely.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
You'll be using rechargeable batteries Graham? Let us know what the run time is on it please mate.

At the moment, I've just got some Duracells in it, but will be getting rechargeables. So it may be some time before I can let you know the answer to this.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE