Wanted: Teaching Materials.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I’m trying to support my local scout groups by giving them a hand with their more bushcrafty camps and evenings.

I plan on building up a box full of interesting things that the young people can see. I’m thinking of small animal skulls, bad examples of bow drills, different methods of fire starting etc etc etc..

I am making and compiling various bits myself, but its taking some time as you can imagine...

If anyone has anything lying around that they would like to swap, let me know. I have various bits and bobs that I’m not using...

If its related to bushcraft, and would interest a young person, then I’m interested!

Thanks,
Logit.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Can't swap, but you can have some cheap ideas I use (for the same purpose):

Mirror: (or even an old CD) to use as a heliograph.

Take away foil container: (or standard kitchen foil) to boil water, or signal with.

Torch reflector mirror:(from a large torch), to use as a fresnel lens to focus sunlight on tinder (oh bad spelling!) it works well on fungi tinder especially "horse hoof" fungi

coke can:
Bottom polished highly (the concave surface focuses heat on tinder)

Coke can stove, preferably one made quickly on a roadside with a single blade! (I've done it and it worked) it also encourages recycling.

Several placcy bags filed with natural tinders like birch bark, fungi, seeds etc.

A "Field dressing" opened, the cotton pad used as tinder.

a "dead" bic lighter, to show it still has a potentially usable flint! and to show the old technology being used today!

piece of snapped file, to act as "steel" (works very well!).

piece of paracord with inner pulled out to show many varied uses.

hope that helps.:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE