WANTED - Flat small steel for a steel and flint set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The diagram looks really good and I get the general idea but I can't read it all (left to right):

flint set in holder
Cotton cord impreganated with saltpetre
??chard and to cover (cannot read/understand)
holder for striker
??10& (cannot read/understand)
??logged container to keep kit secure (cannot read/understand)
??striker (something etc) (cannot read/understand)
??25 (something) (cannot read/understand)
2mm
steel striker
??circa 1850 fire kit ?owned by the ????? that travelled with ?John McDowell the first man to lead an expedition ???? Australia (cannot read/understand)

Can anybody help please?
Flint set in holder
Cotton cord impregnated with saltpetre
Chard end to cord (he means charred)
Holder for striker
Striker slides in and is held
10 Ø (symbol for outside diameter) basicly a 10 mm tube with an outside diameter of 10mm
Capped container to keep kit secure
Steel striker
25 Ø meaning the outside size of the copper tube is 25mm
2mm
Steel striker
Circa 1850 fire kit owned by the naturalist that travelled with John McDowell Stewart the first man to lead an expedition across Australia

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've got time on my hands at the minute and would like to make myself something. I'm still getting up to speed on my sewing machine but want to do something else. I've always admired the flint and steel set RM made himself as a replica of the Aussie one in his Walkabout show and want to unashamedly copy it. I intend to use 10mm brass pipe so the steel shouldn't be much wider than that if at all possible and be flat. If anyone has one or could make me one I'd appreciate it.
Just grind the end off a file slowly so it doesn't get hot to make a flat steel :)
You don't need to buy one :confused:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Flint set in holder
Cotton cord impregnated with saltpetre
Chard end to cord (he means charred)
Holder for striker
Striker slides in and is held
10 Ø (symbol for outside diameter) basicly a 10 mm tube with an outside diameter of 10mm
Capped container to keep kit secure
Steel striker
25 Ø meaning the outside size of the copper tube is 25mm
2mm
Steel striker
Circa 1850 fire kit owned by the naturalist that travelled with John McDowell Stewart the first man to lead an expedition across Australia

Thanks for that - all so much better when you can read it

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Well I received my brass rod today and have made a start. The solder I bought seemed to do the trick and the chain/flint holder haven't failed yet. I've been using my steel from Shark Designs but so far I haven't got a spark onto the slow match, all I seem to do is to round the edge of the flint, still perseverance. I've had a few problems getting reasonably priced brass tube at >25mm so I made up a little leather pouch that I can open wide put it on the ground without my tinder etc getting wet. Here's some photo's

Photo on 2011-12-24 at 14.45.jpgPhoto on 2011-12-24 at 14.46 #2.jpgPhoto on 2011-12-24 at 14.48.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
............ I've had a few problems getting reasonably priced brass tube at >25mm .............

Would plastic overflow pipe be a possible temporary solution until you can get brass/copper?

just a thought:)

(its Downton Abbey now - ?is there no end????)

Well I received my brass rod today and have made a start. The solder I bought seemed to do the trick and the chain/flint holder haven't failed yet. I've been using my steel from Shark Designs but so far I haven't got a spark onto the slow match, all I seem to do is to round the edge of the flint, still perseverance. I've had a few problems getting reasonably priced brass tube at >25mm so I made up a little leather pouch that I can open wide put it on the ground without my tinder etc getting wet. Here's some photo's

View attachment 8165View attachment 8166View attachment 8167

How to use the Slow Match.
These instructions are for people of the Right Handed (RH) persuasion – reverse if you are Left Handed (LH).
  1. Push out the charred end of the Slow Match Cord from the bottom of the Slow Match, about 2 inches will do. Be careful about handling the Slow Match Cord’s charred end as it is very delicate and can easily become black dust.
  2. Whilst holding the Flint between the thumb and forefinger of your RH, place the Slow Match Cord’s charred end on the piece of natural Flint; about 1 to 2mm from the Flint’s striking edge as if it was a standard piece of char cloth. Holding it in place with your thumb on the un-charred section of the cord. You can hold the Slow Match tube in the palm of your hand.
  3. If the charred end of the Slow Match Cord is showing too small a profile, you can splay it out a little by applying more pressure to the un-charred section of the Slow Match Cord; this will present a larger surface area for sparks to land on.
  4. Whilst holding the Steel Striker in your RH, place the Steel Striker’s striking surface on the Flint’s cutting edge, where you want the sparks to emanate from. This is to educate your muscle memory to make the point of contact The Point of Contact.
  5. Strike the Steel Striker down against the chosen point of Steel & Flint contact with as much speed and accuracy as you can muster; this will produce the necessary sparks to create an ember on the Slow Match Cord’s charred section.
  6. When a spark has landed on the charred end of the Cord, fan the embryonic ember with your RH, do not blow on the ember until it has become well established – your breath has a high level of moisture in it, less oxygen and more carbon dioxide than the air, which may extinguish the ember.
  7. Once you have a good ember use it to ignite a Sulphur Match or your Fire Lay.
  8. To extinguish the Slow Match pull the Cord back down the Slow Match tube and place your finger over the end of the tube to prevent air from getting to the ember; it will be out faster than you think. Your Slow Match Cord’s charred end will be protected in the tube and ready for the next fire lighting session.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers for that Mark I've had a number of false starts with the set up I have using the slow match. I now have the lovely little steel that Silverhill made for me, I'll post some pics soon. Unable/unwilling to go for the brass pipe I've made a leather stowage for it, I just need to find something to do nice round discs for the ends. It's been an interesting little project.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE