WANTED - Flat small steel for a steel and flint set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've got time on my hands at the minute and would like to make myself something. I'm still getting up to speed on my sewing machine but want to do something else. I've always admired the flint and steel set RM made himself as a replica of the Aussie one in his Walkabout show and want to unashamedly copy it. I intend to use 10mm brass pipe so the steel shouldn't be much wider than that if at all possible and be flat. If anyone has one or could make me one I'd appreciate it.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Bushcraftmyway, I've just replied to another guy on here but if he's unable to help, and I think he will, I'll get back to you but thank you.

P

Just as a matter of interest ... does anyone make the RM version/replica of the Stephen King fire lighting kit?

Not seen it before this thread

Mark at Shark Tinder does look to be getting a more modern version
500_flint_Steel_tinder_tube_contents.jpg

ATB

Duncan

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
how mad is this, today I was thinking about that little set from the show and would like to make it aswell, and somewhere on here someone is thinking about the same thing :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have one of Mark's Hudson bay tinder boxes but I thought I'd give this a go so I have something invested in it. I just wish I had the time/kit to have a go at making the steel myself. I've bought the slow match to go along and am thinking of how I'm going to make the container. I'm thinking of keeping it all brass but the cost of the brass tube(I was looking at 38mm) is expensive and hard to find in anything smaller than 1m length. Just a project I thought I'd give a go whilst I was on holiday. The next thing to learn is soldering brass, making the steel holder, the flint holder and knapping a flint to a suitable size.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was thinking of copper Duncan as an alternative. I saw some 38mm stuff I quite fancied thinking I could put in some jute to help with the firelighting effort. I seem to remember being able to get copper solder ends for pipework but now with the rise of push fit connections they're hard to come by. Thanks for that website though they have some interesting stuff at reasonable sizes.

Paul

I was thinking of copper Duncan as an alternative. I saw some 38mm stuff I quite fancied thinking I could put in some jute to help with the firelighting effort. I seem to remember being able to get copper solder ends for pipework but now with the rise of push fit connections they're hard to come by. Thanks for that website though they have some interesting stuff at reasonable sizes.

Paul
should be ok for copper end feed caps at that size but will need to goto a propper plumber supply
ATB
Duncan

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The diagram looks really good and I get the general idea but I can't read it all (left to right):

flint set in holder
Cotton cord impreganated with saltpetre
??chard and to cover (cannot read/understand)
holder for striker
??10& (cannot read/understand)
??logged container to keep kit secure (cannot read/understand)
??striker (something etc) (cannot read/understand)
??25 (something) (cannot read/understand)
2mm
steel striker
??circa 1850 fire kit ?owned by the ????? that travelled with ?John McDowell the first man to lead an expedition ???? Australia (cannot read/understand)

Can anybody help please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE