Visiting York

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The little swtsmbo and I are heading up to York for a long weekend in a months time. :)

I know about the Shambles, York Minister, Jorvick Centre, Railway Museum etc but I just wondered if folks had any little out the way places they thought we might enjoy during our visit there. Also any recommendations for places to eat etc would be nice as well.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The Castle museum is usually quiet and you'll see dick turpins cell. Walking the walls is good and free. The brewery tour is good if you like real ale. The Barbikan is a great Polish restaurant with fantastic beer. Blue Bicycle is great (used to be a brothel)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yorkshire Air Museum
Whether or not you're an aviation enthusiast, this wartime museum promises a most fascinating experience for all visitors. Exhibits include the world's last remaining complete Halifax, a control tower, uniforms, equipment, and artifacts. There's a shop and restaurant based on this former military airfield site. (01904-608-595)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yorkshire Air Museum
Whether or not you're an aviation enthusiast, this wartime museum promises a most fascinating experience for all visitors. Exhibits include the world's last remaining complete Halifax, a control tower, uniforms, equipment, and artifacts. There's a shop and restaurant based on this former military airfield site. (01904-608-595)

:rofl:... the look I got when I suggested that Colin along with the real ale brewery tour spoke incredible volumes that tell me either of those are out :rolleyes:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
:rofl:... the look I got when I suggested that Colin along with the real ale brewery tour spoke incredible volumes that tell me either of those are out :rolleyes:

Oh well, it will have to be here then, what could possibly go wrong. :lmao:

York Dungeon - "Deep in the heart of historic York, buried beneath its very paving stones, lies the North's most chillingly famous museum of horror. The York Dungeon brings more than 2,000 years of gruesomely authentic history vividly back to life and death. As you delve into tile darkest chapters of our grim and bloody past, recreated in all its dreadful detail, remember: everything you experience really happened. A warning - in the Dungeon's dark catacombs it always pays to keep your wits about you. The 'exhibits' have an unnerving habit of coming back to life... "

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The nighttime tourist tours are fun. Fellow in a top hat and posh evening dress trails you around the town for a bit telling you tales of murder most horrid :)

M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The chocolate experience?

Ooooh, I could just go a chocolate orange. yummity-yum.
t2801.gif

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
:rofl: you seem to be picking all the places she doesn't want to go to Colin :)

I got a definite no to that one the other day when I suggested it :rolleyes:

I take it the "National Railway Museum" is out of the question then.......:lmao:

Loads of great museum's (Castle and Yorkshire for two), the Minster, The walls, loads of Oldie worldie Pubs (If you find the "Guy Fawkes Inn" near the Minster it reputed to be his birth place), Ghost walks (one of the most haunted cities). It was once said the we had 365 pubs and 52 churches with in the city although these day it might be less.

Hard to recommend somewhere to eat as we don't go into town much these days but these is everything from traditional Engilsh fare to the farthest corners of the world.....

Cheers Rich.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE