Scotch eye auger advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Hi all,
After a little advice. I have already looked about for the answer but couldn't decide so hopefully we can get some help.
I am a scout leader and this coming Saturday we go on our anual summer camp. I was looking on getting a auger for the scouts to use during some of their downtime and on our bushcraft day we always plan in.
Does anybody have recommendations one any they have purchased recently and found worked/lasted well? Ideally from Amazon so I can get it here before Friday.
Thanks and if/when we get one I'll post up a mini 'review' on how it stood up.

Thanks

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Personally, I would consider using a kit of standard augers (provides a range of diameters and lengths) and drive them with a suitably sized socket and a tommy bar. Not quite as 'woodcrafty' as sticking a hazel branch in the eye but more versatile for occasional use.

As far as the eye being used to size the rod; I find whittling the end to fit often gives a tighter joint. You can use visible or blind wedges if you really need a perfect joint.

Reactions: UKAndyB

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Personally, I would consider using a kit of standard augers (provides a range of diameters and lengths) and drive them with a suitably sized socket and a tommy bar. Not quite as 'woodcrafty' as sticking a hazel branch in the eye but more versatile for occasional use.

As far as the eye being used to size the rod; I find whittling the end to fit often gives a tighter joint. You can use visible or blind wedges if you really need a perfect joint.
Certainly worth considering in getting a selection for the group to have to hand.

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I have seen this style around a bit, cheap enough too as you have found it to work.
I was tickled though as it is available in 2 colours "brown" or "Gary"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE