Victorinox new "soldiers" knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Victorinox “Soldiers” Swiss Army Knife

ipmucw.jpg

For its 125th anniversary Victorinox which has been supplying the Swiss army since 1891 has launched its new military “soldiers” knife which I have had the chance to try out.
The soldier’s knife has been completely re-designed for better quality, safety, performance and value for money so that it meets the high standards and demands of the military.

Features:

1. One Handed Opening Lock Blade
2. Wood saw
3. Can Opener
4. Cap lifter
5. 3mm Screwdriver
6. 7mm Screwdriver
7. Philips Screwdriver
8. Wire Stripper
9. Reamer
10. Punch Tool

Specs:

Weight 130g/4.6 oz
Length when closed 11cm
Made from high quality Stainless Steel
Two component black and green handle
Srp: £34.99

First Impressions:

When I first took it out of the box I found the tool was a lot thicker and stronger looking to what I was expecting.
It had a good solid feel to it with a good weight and balance.
The individual tools also had a sturdy look and feel to them. First off they were slightly stiff but after 5 minutes of using, each piece had a smooth movement when opening and closing.
The one thing that I did not like was the small split ring for attaching it to things. I felt that it was too small and not strong enough for the knife although this can easily be replaced with something more substantial.

The Blade:
muieyr.jpg

The main blade is slightly over 3 inches long. It has a 2mm spine tapering down to just less than 1 mm at the tip. It has a 2 inch section of serrations (which have been specifically asked for by the Swiss military as it keeps the edge sharper for a longer period of time) starting from the tip of the blade leaving the last 1 inch a straight blade with a chisel grind.

There is a hump on it which incorporates the thumb hole for opening it one handed. It took me a few tries to be able to do this but once I had the Knack it was simple and I did not have to loosen my grip on the handle.

The locking mechanism is a bar that slides into place when the blade is fully open. When locked it holds the blade very secure and there is no movement at all. To unlock you simply press the bar in and fold down the blade.

It comes out of the box very sharp and keeping in mind that it is designed for military use (Hence the serrations) the knife excels in handling jobs such as cutting through webbing, cordage and other materials.

Although a serrated knife would not be my first choice when it came to skinning and butchering I did find that this blade could handle a rabbit although if there was more of a point at the tip it would have made the task easier.For cutting up vegetables, bread, cheese and slicing/dicing meat etc I would say that it was highly capable.

Up to date the edge retention on the serrated section has been excellent. I have used the blade daily so it has already done quite a bit and I know that whenever it needs sharpening in the future I can easily do it with a fine needle file as the gap between the serrations isn’t so small that you can’t work with it as I have found on a lot of blades with a serrated edge.

The straight edge at the back is great for work like feathering sticks, cutting notches and similar jobs. I found that it left a nice clean cut every time. Using this part of the knife was not as awkward as I thought it would be and the hump on the spine allows you to use your thumb to get more pressure and control. Again in the 2 weeks that I have had this SAK I have only had to run this part of the blade over the sharpening stone a couple of times to get the edge keen again.

Folding saw:

29205f7.jpg

The saw is 3 ½” long and tapers from ½” wide at the back down to a ¼” at the tip and has a thickness of 1.5 mm. It has 38 parallel teeth set in a double row with the last 5mm of the tip straight with no teeth.
The saw doesn’t open in the normal way with a nail groove on the side. Instead the tip extends slightly out from the back of the handle enabling you to open it up easily and quickly.

302swbc.jpg

The performance of the saw was excellent. I cut through this green sycamore branch in 23 seconds and it will handle seasoned hardwood with no problems.

The blade is strong and doesn’t bend when cutting as I have found in some of the other SAKs.

209t7bd.jpg

This rigidity combined with the sharpness of the teeth leaves you with a straight and clean cut.
The only trouble I had when using the saw was the hump on the main blade made it uncomfortable to hold when used for any extended period of time.

Philips Screwdriver:

102o3g8.jpg

The Philips screwdriver is 1 ½” long and is set into the top of the handle which has a notch in it to house the bit when closed. It also allows you to open it easily. The end is solid and though it has a few marks it hasn’t “mashed” after using it quite heavily. It has quite a bit of give on the opposite side it opens from and I found this makes it a bit difficult to get the last couple of turns on the screw as it has a tendency to move to either side when using a lot of pressure. On the other hand the “give” made it easier to tighten down screws that had to go in at an odd angle or that where in an awkward space.
The corkscrew type grip you have to use allows you to get a lot of pressure behind the bit and is comfortable to hold.

The 7mm screwdriver:

15xv8m9.jpg

This bit also is 1 ½” long and incorporates the cap lifter and wire stripper/bender.
It is very robust with a thickness of 2mm at the back tapering down to slightly less than 1mm at the tip. It opens with the nail groove and locks in the same way as the main blade. Again the tip is solid and apart from a few scratches to the finish there haven’t been any nicks or dents on it. Very solid to use although the hump on the main blade again can make using it for a while uncomfortable.

Wire Stripper/bender:

The wire stripper is a 2mm deep x 2mm wide U shaped notch cut into the bottom of the Screwdriver/bottle opener tool. It can strip wires up to 3mm but anything bigger takes a lot of effort. I think that if the notch was sloped more so the edge was sharper you would have better success. Using the notch and the hook allows you to bend wires to shape.

Bottle Opener:

The bottle opener has a 2mm hook and uses the shape of the 7mm screwdriver to pivot off the cap this easily handles bottle caps. It is very sturdy and simple to use.

3mm Screwdriver:

10o0e8k.jpg

The 3mm bit is situated on the end of the can opener which all together is 1 ¼” long and again tapers from 2mm thick down to 1/2 mm. Although the end is strong I don’t think that the bit extends far enough passed the curved blade of the can opener. If used on a deeper slotted screw there is the chance that you can catch the blade and dull or nick the fine edge.

Can Opener:

The can opener has a 2mm thick hook to catch under the rims of cans and has a fine edged curved blade with a point to pierce. The hook is thick enough to give a good grip on the rim and the blade easily slices through the tin. Very easy and quick to use but it does tend to leave the edges rough. It opens with the nail groove.

Reamer/Punch:

29prsdz.jpg

The reamer is located in the top of the handle and has the nail groove to open it. The length is again 1 ½” and is 2mm thick tapering down to a fine point which is the punch. On one side the blade angles steeply and on the other it is concaved meeting the back and giving a sharp edge.

This tool makes the job of clearing holes simple. It is strong and sharp enough to bore through wood making it excellent for starting screws as well. I also used the edge to thin down the edges of leather with great success.

The point is very strong and punches into wood and leather with ease. As with the Philips screwdriver it has a bit of give in it but this time it didn’t give any problem or hamper the performance. Having to hold it in the corkscrew grip again allows you to put plenty of pressure behind it and is comfortable to hold.

The Handle:

16h0uqb.jpg

The handle has been designed to be used in extreme conditions and is made from plastic with a rubber grip edging the outside and pads on the side as well. It is very comfortable to hold and the rubber does its job well preventing any slipping even when it is wet making it very secure when using. It comes in the military green and black colours and in my opinion far surpasses any other SAK for grip.

Conclusion:

This SAK is versatile of high quality and well designed meeting the high standards you would expect from a Victorinox knife. The tools are strong and robust and easily capable of the jobs they were designed for and although there is room for 1 or 2 improvements I find this to be a very dependable tool well worth its money. Great to have in a variety of situations or just for a reliable tool around the house/garden.

CBJ

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Apart from the scales how does it differ from the one hand trekker or the current issue German army knife thats been out for a few years?

I love my trekker to bits and keep looking for surplus German army ones as cheep "borrowers". No joy so far.

ATB

Tom

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Great review - I have the SA Skipper which is similar but has a locking blade. Over the years Victorinox have never let their quality slip, in an age where so much stuff is farmed out to China or other areas of cheap labour. I've got SAK's that I've had for 20 years, still functioning perfectly.

Pound for pound is there anything more useful to carry in your pocket?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Good review,

I don't like serrations but your photos and review have shown that this blade is very useable in most applications.

I can see me getting one of these.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hey all

Twodogs: Yeah hillbills has done some nice work on the SAK I like them a lot

Fast but dim :Thanks, you would need to shop around to get the best deals mate

Tom Bear: Not a lot though,apart from a few things I think the blade is smaller I have never had the trekker but compared to some of the other SAKs the tools seem to be more robust and nice work on those mods mate looks good

Fredster:thanks, yep the skipper is a good one and I think the SAKS are great to have on you.

Barnowl: thanks mate hope it helped

oetzi: afraid not mate they wanted to keep only the essential tools a soldier would need

Asa : I was a bit wary of this at first but went slow enough untill I got confident it wouldnt shut on me.

Logit : it is nice isnt it with custom scales would look great

Carbuncle: that is a nice one aswell

Hog : I know alot of people dont like serrations

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I have a similar model of knife as that from Victorinox.It has the exact same tools but different scales.All I can say is that if you plan on using on using this knife for Bushcraft just stay away from it,it cannot take anything more than light tasks.

The saw is exceptional.It has one of the nicest cutting edge I have used but the thick kerf can cause the blade to jam in the wood if the saw is not kept hot and moving.

All the other tools are fine apart fron the main blade. When I used it The for light battoning a piece of the lock chipped off and the blade folded right up. The knife was not very expensive but I would expect that Victorinox would maintain the high quality that they boast. Lifetime Guarantee?Not if you damage it. I have a few other SAKs and they all are great knives apart from this one.

Not a rant just a warning to those who or considering using this model for Bushcraft!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice review CBJ.

It would be nice if there was a legal carry specification SAK with a saw and plain blade. It would be perfect to re-handle in something nice for every day use. They either seem to have a million tools making the knife to fat to carry or you just end up with the standard waiter etc.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Nice review CBJ.

It would be nice if there was a legal carry specification SAK with a saw and plain blade. It would be perfect to re-handle in something nice for every day use. They either seem to have a million tools making the knife to fat to carry or you just end up with the standard waiter etc.

There are quite a few, the most basic being the camper. Although I think the saws are shorter on the standard SAK.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Good review!

Too bad you can't open wine bottles properly with it... Would've been interested otherwise.
Then again, I don't need an other sak until my beloved Victorinox Rucksack breaks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE