Victorinox new "soldiers" knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Nice review CBJ.

It would be nice if there was a legal carry specification SAK with a saw and plain blade. It would be perfect to re-handle in something nice for every day use. They either seem to have a million tools making the knife to fat to carry or you just end up with the standard waiter etc.

The Farmer has a legal blade and a saw - my wife has one and it's lovely. Not sure about the rehandling possibilities because it's an Alox, but it is UK legal.

Magentus

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
There are quite a few SAK's with very similar to the new soldier but with non-serated blades. The One-handed treker is the most similar. I've got the rucksack which has a corkscrew instead of philips screwdriver. The important thing about all these other knives is that as they have been out longer they can often be found cheaper than the new soldier.

An excellent site is http://www.swissknifeandtool.co.uk

very cheap. I bought a few reconditioned knives off him when he used to trade on ebay until they stupidly banned knives.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
OK to all that want a corkscrew all I can say is why don't you just push the cork into the bottle like most people if you cann't pull it out!!! :)

think laterally not literally. ;)

By the the French army have plastic stoppers in their wine and the Italian's use cartons. I know form experience with working with them.

About serrated blade, what a soldier wants is a reliable blade to cut quickly and I am pretty sure it does that.

It looks awesome!!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Farmer has a legal blade and a saw - my wife has one and it's lovely. Not sure about the rehandling possibilities because it's an Alox, but it is UK legal.

Magentus

I will keep an eye out for an old alox type and try re-handling it before buying a new one. Cheers.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Ive got a Trekka which looks the same (except for the scales) and its a great knife, admittedly I wasnt keen on the serrations at first but I must say they have grown on me after a few trips out and about. Not sure I would baton anything with it as mentioned above though?? (Dont think I would baton with any folder to be honest).

ATB, Jon.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire

mimir

Nov 27, 2009
Croatia
It looks great and I love the one hand opening option. But the serrated edge is not what I would choose for this kind of knife.

Wigate

Forager
Nov 19, 2006
Hong Kong
I bought the non serrated one hand opening Trekker after seeing the new Swiss Army issue version. I like the non serrated blade better.

Thereafter, I orderd a custom fit (special request to Victorinox-they charge well for that) Forrester model with non serrated one hand opening blade. I much prefer this model with my custom order because I always fancy having a corkscrew on my knife.

Last edited:
Well...today I got one and became a member of yet another knife group...the Swiss Army Knife owners group. I love the Swiss Tool multi tools, and especially their saws. But I have only started seriously thinking about their folding knives recently when I noticed they were making some knives that had the same saw and on which the primary blade could be opened one handed and that locked in place. So far my initial impressions are that I love it. I am glad to finally have a blade with a 50/50 edge that doesn't have the serrations in the way of whittling. I love the saw, it work great for cutting but also great for both making fatwood fuzz and striking the new Going Gear firesteel...which is great because I mean to team them up in a small belt pouch with a couple of other things for urban carry on walks down town and on the river walk.

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

It came very sharp and did good at whittling.

IMG_9321.jpg

IMG_9324.jpg

IMG_9325.jpg

The saw did great at sawing, making fuzzy fatwood saw dust, and sparking the mischmetal firesteel

IMG_9332.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9334.jpg

Thanks TD, likely the best the best Christmas present I'll be getting this year. Made the wife a little sulky when I said that but hey...will give her something to shoot for next year :D

Since the wife and I like to occasionally sneak down on the riverbank down town, down in the shadows off of the river walk and have a picnic with a bottle of wine, some summer sausage, and some cheese...maybe I need to keep my eye open and see if they make a French Army version :D

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Isn't it about time Victorinox start making their own folding saw ? The saws on the SAKs are legendary, I used mine to cut many a stick to make a staff or bow when playing Robin Hood back in ye olde days when I was a nipper.

pwb

Great review CBJ :).

I'm pretty impressed with the Soldier too, got one as a gift for Christmas.

Photo001Small.jpg

To be honest I was a bit dubious about the serrations, they kind of put me off the knife in the past but they do work well and It's good that the plain section of the blade is to the rear.

Ive found that the Spyderco Sharpmaker works well on the serrations and have been looking at these as a more portable option.

lansky-multi-purpose-sharpening-stone-766-p.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Mistwalker : Thats great mate ,good to hear you found it usefull and have found a new type of knife that you like. I would be interested in seeing pics of the sheath you make for them.

puub: Thanks mate. I can totally understand your feelings about the serrations (I felt the same), and thank you for the link to the sharpener Ill have a look into that

CBJ

Mistwalker : Thats great mate ,good to hear you found it usefull and have found a new type of knife that you like. I would be interested in seeing pics of the sheath you make for them.

puub: Thanks mate. I can totally understand your feelings about the serrations (I felt the same), and thank you for the link to the sharpener Ill have a look into that

CBJ

I love this knife! I have been waiting on a good knife with a partially serrated edge on which the serrations weren't in the way of whittling for years.

I'm definitely going to have to look into those sharpeners

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE