Victorinox new "soldiers" knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Isn't it about time Victorinox start making their own folding saw ? The saws on the SAKs are legendary, I used mine to cut many a stick to make a staff or bow when playing Robin Hood back in ye olde days when I was a nipper.

I wish they would, the saw on this knife is awesome! I have cut bamboo,dried Birch, and schedule forty PVC pipe and you'd never know I've cut anything at all with it.

Jun 1, 2010
Spain
Hi.
I have tried Victorinox liner lock old models and they all have a little of blade movement when lock. Are the newest models (2009 or 2010) improved at this respect?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi.
I have tried Victorinox liner lock old models and they all have a little of blade movement when lock. Are the newest models (2009 or 2010) improved at this respect?

There is still some movement, but nothing to be concerned about.

Jun 1, 2010
Spain
OK. Thanks JonathanD.
I know the Victorinox quality, so I don't understand the movement when lock. May it have any purpose?

Another question. Is the hump uncomfortable when cutting food? I ask this because I put the index finger on the blade...

Anyway I'm in loved with this SAK and I'm going to buy it, even without corkscrew.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK. Thanks JonathanD.
I know the Victorinox quality, so I don't understand the movement when lock. May it have any purpose?

Another question. Is the hump uncomfortable when cutting food? I ask this because I put the index finger on the blade...

Anyway I'm in loved with this SAK and I'm going to buy it, even without corkscrew.

I've never found a problem with the movement, even after hard use. I also find the hump is useful for use as a thumb ramp and certainly doesn't get in the way at all.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you sharpen on the opposite side as recommended by Victorinox, the serrations soon disappear and are still sharp in the process.

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
the problem for me with that tool would be that, having both a serrated and a chisel ground section, the knife blade is totally set up for right-handed use. don't they have any 'lefty's in the swiss army... or are there two versions available?

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
I like this knife, if you carry a fixed blade and this as a secondary knife then the serrations on the main blade would be more useful than non-serrated. Not a bad price considering it will probably last for years.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you sharpen on the opposite side as recommended by Victorinox, the serrations soon disappear and are still sharp in the process.

I totally understand where people are coming from when they talk about serrations and I would have been there with you until a couple of decades ago. Then, while we were staying at the Alte Post in Grindelwald, my wife bought me a Victorinox Swiss Tool as a present. It's been on my belt more or less ever since.

The Swiss Tool has two knife blades (at least mine does, I believe they've changed the design a couple of times since mine was made). They are practically identical in size and shape but one is serrated, the other is plain. To be perfectly honest when I first saw the serrated blade I was a little disappointed. I thought it was a bit of a waste of space, material and weight. I wondered why they hadn't put a different tool in there instead. I never said anything like that to my wife of course.

At first I would use the serrated blade whenever I was doing a job that might involve some risk of damage to the edge. That was to leave the plain blade in as good a condition as possible, for other tasks. Over the years I gradually found myself using the serrated blade on occasion in preference to the plain blade. And finally I have had to admit that I use the serrated blade now in preference to the plain one almost every time I use a blade -- which is probably between a couple of times a week and a couple of dozen times a day depending on what I'm up to. I even went so far as to get some India files (and I organized a group buy and I still have some left:)) which fit the serrations perfectly, so that far from letting them wear away with sharpening I can keep them as good as they ever were.

I really don't think people should discount a serrated edge just because it's serrated. I find that for cutting a whole host of things, from fabrics to ropes to plastic sheet, a serrated blade performs far, far better then a plain one. Granted if you want to cut a nice straight notch in a bit of wood you won't choose a serrated edge. I don't do that sort of thing often, and I have plenty of tools which will do it anyway. I'd probably use the saw blade. :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hey Ged, I agree the botle was opened finally, but this guy should be arrested to had killed that wine :)

Oh, sorry Alfredo, is that bad for it? I should have asked my better half before posting, I thought it was just a matter of getting the cork out. :)

Except for Asti I don't drink it myself, can't stand the stuff!

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Victorinox really should make a folding saw, I would definitely buy one. The saws on the SAKs are phenomenal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE