ventile v grenfell cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was mooching around the internet the other day and discovered a jacket made of Grenfell Cloth. A bit of research yielded the site below which explained more about its nature and history

http://www.haythornthwaite.com/GrenfellAtSpeed.htm

I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds very like ventile, densely woven cotton originally developed in the 1920's to meet the needs of Arctic explorers. My question is, does anyone have any experience of the cloth and how does it compare to ventile?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - I have not heard of Grenfell for decades!
I had understood that it had gone out of production years ago but in my young day it was a favourite amongst the Cycling mob and was always seen as almost as good as Ventile - the climbing mobs favourite.

leon-1

£400.00 for a walkers jacket!
I will stick to Ventile - the cheap option!

John, my West-Winds Short Parka (made before snugpak took it on) wasn't far off that, it cost me £350 IIRC and that was nigh on nine years ago.

SnugPak in their guise as West-Winds cut the model from their range, shame as I would have bought another when the old one wears out.

From having a look at it there even appeared to be an American version of the cloth (Byrd Cloth) developed for the American Forces. Maybe that would be a course worth pursuing.

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Theres a good book called invisible on Everest, which has quite a bit about Grenfell cloth. Invented by Walter Haythornethwaite, in 1923, named after Sir Walter grenfell, a labrador missionary. He visited a lecture by Sir Grenfell and heard their was a need for a light, windproof, water resistant, breathable cloth. The book states there was Burberry around, which was similar. However, to make this Grenfell cloth required special looms with skilled operators. It was a very high quality and very expensive cloth.
The same book also mentions that Haythornethwaite produced 5 million square yards of cloth for the armed forces during WW2. Then, due to a cotton shortage , any mills not involved with war work, were shut down. Even though Haythornethwaites mills were doing 84% war work, they were shut down. This was 1941. It looks like the main reason was a problem with relations between him and the Ministry of Supply, as he was very short tempered, apparantly!! In 1941 the Shirley institute invented ventile, and this took over!
On another note, I bought a smock from SASS, in a very high quality gaberdine that the owner got from the states, might be similar to Byrd cloth. Its amazingly water resistant, more so than my old ventile smock. it doesnt stiffen when wet. Not sure if they still have any, but they are far supperior to the standard gaberdine used in the SAS type smock.
Be interested to know if Grenfell cloth stiffens when wet , like Ventile? I think they may work on different principle, where ventile fibres swell to stop water getting in, so seem to 'wet out'. Anyway, highly recommend these SASS smocks made in this quality cloth. Mines in plain desert colour, but they do a green, which would be good.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE