Sold Sasta Taiga Ventile jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Afternoon Bushcrafters,

For sale is a Taiga (also called Peski) jacket made by Sasta from 100% Ventile. In brief, this is cotton that is woven in such a way that when it gets wet, the fibres swell and prevent water from getting down to you in rain. It is very wind resistant too, and highly breathable. It is designed to be weatherproof, so it will wet out in a sufficiently wet downpour. You can read about the material here: https://ventile.co.uk/history-copy/

I have used this jacket just a handful of times, four times max, and I think only once in actual rain! It did the job of keeping me dry and was very breathable too, as one would hope from this fabled material. As such, this is in really very good condition with just a few surface marks to the material (I've photographed the ones I could find), and from a smoke (I never even wore this by an outdoor fire) and pet free home.

It has two external zippered pockets, and one internal zippered pocket. Bungee synches at the hem of the body, adjustable hood volume and velcro on the cuffs. The main zip can be opened from both ends to facilitate venting, and the zip curves as it heads towards the neck meaning it curves away from your chin and nestles offset, which is a nicely considered feature.

This is size M as you can see both from the sewn-in label and the original tags, and I measure the pit to pit to be 22 inches. I've included Sasta's sizing chart below.

Link to Sasta'a Finnish listing and Ray Mear's listing here (good range of reviews on that page):

If you have any questions, just ask

SOLD Asking £210 SOLD including Paypal fees, with delivery on me. Bank transfer also available to those who prefer it.
Only trades I'm after would be towards a Chris Reeve Ti Lock or the Spydercos listed in >>this thread here<<

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Sasta-Sizing-Chart1.jpg

Last edited:

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
Hi Hugh,
I've been on the lookout for a single layer ventile smock/jacket for some time, but I don't have the money to purchase lightly.
Coupla questions, please:
Does the jacket fit roomy or not? I'm a 39"-40" chest, would want to go from t-shirt underneath to 2 wool thermals, a thin fleece and a thin puffy layer on different days. Could you comment on that?
How thornproof would you say ventile is in your experience? Theres a lot of bramble in our woods!
Why are you passing it on? How did it not fit the role you hoped for it?
I hope the questions aren't too much of an imposition and the answers inform us all in the pursuit of optimised layering!
Cheers Richard

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Reactions: hughtrimble

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Hi Richard,
I'm similar in chest and 6ft; I've worn it with a very thick wool jumper comfortably, so it's definitely good for layering. With just a t shirt it's roomy for me.
No idea on thorn resistance; it's very densely woven, but I don't know how it would react to thorns actually having a crack at it. It's going to be more repairable than a torn synthetic Goretex though if it were to come to harm, as with sparks from a fire.
Moving it on as I've got too many jackets, and where this one fits in I've gone the opposite way to an ultralight sub 100g Berghaus jacket that fits in my pocket, but is extremely fragile. If I'm going to be bushcrafty I'll tend to just accept I'll get wet and wear as much wool as possible and dry off fireside. If I spent more time out walking in the countryside, nature watching etc. then I'd be able to justify keeping this.

So you're aware, this is currently on hold for a buyer on another forum; I'll update you if the sale progresses or falls through.

Cheers,
Hugh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE