Grenfell Cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,

This is a interesting read for all the Ventile lovers,

Grenfell Cloth

When Sir Wilfred Grenfell turned homely, factual details made his deepest impression upon on one man in his audience. That man was Mr. Walter Haythornthwaite, a Burnley mill-owner at whose invitation Sir Wilfred Grenfell was giving the lecture; and the words that spurred him to action were some simple, almost casual remarks on the difficulty of finding the right cloth for arctic clothing.
“The right cloth for Labrador mission workers,” said Sir Wilfred Grenfell. “It should be light, because travel was always on foot, following the dog teams. It should also be strong, for once on the trail, the wearers life might well depend on it. It should be weatherproof, to turn both rain and snow, and windproof, to turn both rain and snow, and windproof to retain wearers warmth. Above all, it must allow the body moisture to escape.
Mr. Haythornthwaite heard these words as a challenge. After a year of experiment, he produced a cloth in 1923 which Sir Wilfred Grenfell said was ideal. In a letter, he said:
“It is light, durable and very fine looking. It really has been a boon to us all and I think the public should know of it, they will be grateful, I know.”
Later, when it was decided to give the cloth a name, Sir Wilfred himself suggested “Grenfell Cloth” and in a further letter, he stated:
“We use it constantly on the ships, on the planes, on the sledges and motoring. It does not wear out and we cannot afford to take chances, much less dare we recommend to anyone else anything that would fail them at a pinch.”
The unique properties of Grenfell cloth all stem from two simple facts. First, it is made from the very finest of cotton by master craftsmen. Second, it has an exceptionally close weave.
This compact, tight weave gives Grenfell cloth its inherent windproof water-resistant and long-wearing qualities. The basic weave has remained unchanged since the fabric was invented. However, all the latest developments in proofing and dyeing are now applied to Grenfell Cloth. Yarn dyes give added depth and permanence to the colours in the greatly extended shade range. The finest proofing techniques are used which will preserve the weather and rain repellency qualities of a Grenfell Garment.
The Cloth is made today as it was almost 90 years ago by Mr. Haythornthwaite. Quality is checked at every stage of the manufacturing process, to ensure it is of the highest quality, second to none. Every garment produced in Grenfell Cloth bears the label to verify its authenticity, and to emphasize the importance of such a fabric.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For years the Grenfell cloth was Ventile's biggest rival...
As I recall it , cyclists tended to go for Grenfell but Walkers went for Ventile.
If I am right Grenfell is a twill weave while Ventile is plain - giving Ventile the edge in wter sheding.
A good while back I had a Grenfell cloth jacket which I sold to a member on this site ... but I only sold it as it was too small for me!
Google Grenfell cloth pictures and the second picture is my Mrs modelling the jacket I sold!

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Very interesting.
Yes, John, Grenfell is a twill weave. I have an old GC jacket which I rescued from a boot sale. It sops up water like a sponge! Very different from ventile. Windproof though.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Does anyone make any garments now using Grenfell cloth? I remember my father had something made out of it first from when he was in the army and later for windy days on the golf course.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
So any idea hoe it compares to the staple of ventile?

According to contemporary literature, the 1950s Grenfell cloth was around the same weight as L34 Ventile, but not so tight weave. However, it was tighter than more widely used poplin windproof fabrics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE