Vegetarian black pudding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tony - if you are giving more plant foods a go then I recommend the various Hairy Bikers veggie books. Good classic recipes with lots of flavour.
Thanks for the heads up Nigel

I'm going with Tim Spectors advice on 30+ plants a week and it's really not that hard, although I am mixing them with some meat :D. Particulary enjoying Salmon and broad range salad at the moment...

Reactions: nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

I'm going with Tim Spectors advice on 30+ plants a week and it's really not that hard, although I am mixing them with some meat :D. Particulary enjoying Salmon and broad range salad at the moment...

Just asking - is that 30+ plants or plant derived products? Genuinely interested.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Not salami, but we’ve got a vegan chorizo pizza for a party at the weekend, I’ll let you know how it is

Edit - I was actually able to get vegan alternatives for all of the party food (dippers, sausages, sausage rolls). Given it’s a party for 4 year olds I wanted them all to have (visibly) the same food.

By way of update, vegan chorizo was pretty good. Didn’t produce as much oil as the meat one so not ideal if you rely on it as seasoning.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not vegan, but traditional way to add bags of flavour to pizza is anchovies. Depends if you eat fish or no flesh at all I guess.
One vegan flavour bomb is shiitake mushrooms poached in soy. They have a pretty meaty texture anyway & the soy adds umami.
I like anchovies but my OH is a vegetarian so I'm after meat and fish free. The poached shiitakes sound interesting, I'll have a go when we next get a crop from our logs.

Last year we grew aubergines which, once grilled, add a bit more flavour and depth to vegetarian dishes. Will try and grow more of them to experiment with this year.

Reactions: nigelp and Wandjina

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

Sounds interesting. I eat lots of fruit and veg but often repeat the same vegetables and fruit because I like bananas and a cabbage lasts ages! Today I’ve eaten bananas, apples, carrots, peas and cabbage (left over from a roast). No nuts but my go to snack is a small slice or two of soreen malt loaf.

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Having been both vegetarian and vegan as a young man I now eat meat but only ever wild meat. I eat eggs from our own hens that have the highest possible welfare standards that I can give them.

Since I have to undertake pest control it would be wasteful if I did not make the most of what I kill. There have been a lot of valid comments in this debate and I must applaud NigelP for sticking to his values. Even though I do occasionally eat wild meat my diet is rich in vegetables and legumes, I avoid the processed pseudo meat products as I also avoid product that contain palm oil, soya protein or hydrogenated fats, all of which have ecological consequences.

If people were to kill and prepare their own meat it may make them more appreciative of what goes into their meal, less wasteful and more respectful of life. It’s my opinion that food is too easy, if you can afford it you can have it…no matter what it is or where it’s from.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’m really not a fan of their pies or many shop bought ones. I quite like a ‘plate’ or really an ‘oval’ or deep dish pie. Lots of veggies in a sauce or gravy with a pastry top only.
I’m a cheese & onion pie addict myself. It’s my usual choice over meat. Pretty sure the Pukka one would be horrid, their meat pies are.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Having been both vegetarian and vegan as a young man I now eat meat but only ever wild meat. I eat eggs from our own hens that have the highest possible welfare standards that I can give them.

Since I have to undertake pest control it would be wasteful if I did not make the most of what I kill. There have been a lot of valid comments in this debate and I must applaud NigelP for sticking to his values. Even though I do occasionally eat wild meat my diet is rich in vegetables and legumes, I avoid the processed pseudo meat products as I also avoid product that contain palm oil, soya protein or hydrogenated fats, all of which have ecological consequences.

If people were to kill and prepare their own meat it may make them more appreciative of what goes into their meal, less wasteful and more respectful of life. It’s my opinion that food is too easy, if you can afford it you can have it…no matter what it is or where it’s from.

ALL the meat that they consume?? Or do you mean to have gone through a period ( education ) where they are shown first hand what its like to have personally taken a life for their sole consumption? So that they are aware what its like to have blood on their hands?

Reactions: Ystranc

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I like anchovies but my OH is a vegetarian so I'm after meat and fish free. The poached shiitakes sound interesting, I'll have a go when we next get a crop from our logs.

Last year we grew aubergines which, once grilled, add a bit more flavour and depth to vegetarian dishes. Will try and grow more of them to experiment with this year.
Capers are a great substitute for anchovies. Use some light soya sauce to add some saltiness and some bullion powder for the depth of flavour.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It’s just weird to use that description to me. Is it that the veggie description sounds so unappealing? :D
We still poke fun at the "a tasty blend of hulled soya beans and water" description on a soya milk carton. Not selling ot at all :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Capers are a great substitute for anchovies. Use some light soya sauce to add some saltiness and some bullion powder for the depth of flavour.
We use our own pickled nasturtium flower buds and young seeds, brined and then put in vinegar so they are similar and a very good addition.

Reactions: SaraR and nigelp

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We still poke fun at the "a tasty blend of hulled soya beans and water" description on a soya milk carton. Not selling ot at all :)
We could probably do with a thread of its own on milk...

One of the main problems I have about moving to a vegetarian diet is the use of more dairy. Living in a cattle raising area I see some of the worst conditions. Not only are some cattle in poor condition but there are also those large sheds springing up where the cattle never go outside. You don't see pics lame cattle locked inside a dark prison on your bottles of milk.

Having said that I agree about many of the plant based 'milks' and I've not actually found one that tastes that good either.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
We could probably do with a thread of its own on milk...

One of the main problems I have about moving to a vegetarian diet is the use of more dairy. Living in a cattle raising area I see some of the worst conditions. Not only are some cattle in poor condition but there are also those large sheds springing up where the cattle never go outside. You don't see pics lame cattle locked inside a dark prison on your bottles of milk.

Having said that I agree about many of the plant based 'milks' and I've not actually found one that tastes that good either.
Oh we mainly have soya milk, although I've got milk powder to make milk for coffee on the weekends. Never seem to use enough for it to make sense to buy a whole pint...

I am planning on trying out Toddy's recipe for almond milk though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE