Vegetarian black pudding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Interesting, do you think it could be sliced and frozen? The ingredients don't look too bad, black beans instead of blood by the looks of it.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
The website says yes I can be frozen. The texture is similar to normal. Lower fat and salt.
I’m going to try it with eggs in the morning so will post a photo up. When I had it on the pizza it was better - I think the cooking helps to make it softer and bring out the flavour.
I think for outdoor things it would be less of a risk out the fridge?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I find it quite bizarre that vegans would want an option to eat black pudding, given the inevitable comparison with the almost entirely animal ingredients of the real thing.
It's also patently ridiculous to describe the vegan version as "black pudding" , given that it has so little in common with the genuine article. It's like having a "potato cake" made of minced beef. Does the Trade Descriptions Act not apply?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I find it quite bizarre that vegans would want an option to eat black pudding, given the inevitable comparison with the almost entirely animal ingredients of the real thing.
It's also patently ridiculous to describe the vegan version as "black pudding" , given that it has so little in common with the genuine article. It's like having a "potato cake" made of minced beef. Does the Trade Descriptions Act not apply?
Just don’t worry about it. Skip the thread and move on.

• Haha
Reactions: plastic-ninja

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's the whole copying of meat with vegan products that I find amusing. Has anyone tried the vegan bacon yet?

Vegan Black pudding is sold in a few places near us. Booths have been selling it for maybe 15 years now if not longer! Never tried it as imho the original version is perfect as it is. Same with veggie haggis. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian so why bother switching from the perfect, original version?

Of course if you say better for the environment I'll ask for proof. There's a lot of rubbish about that. Like milk replacements that use more water and resources than cow's milk production, I doubt vegan black pudding is any better for the environment than the original.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE