Vegetarian black pudding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Exactly. If you are keen to eat offal, dead battery chickens, power blasted carcasses formed into ‘ham’ then go for it.

Not at all. The negative environmental effects of eating/producing meat and dairy (and farmed fish etc) also affects me and my family.
I’d much sooner eat power blasted ham than soy or something

Reactions: Herman30 and Athos

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I had a vegetarian black pudding/salami thing for pudding today at an Italian restaurant.

I might make it myself. It was chunks of dark and milk chocolate with crunched up biscuit (like Rich Tea) in it, melted slightly and formed into a big salami sausage shape. They then chill it and slice it thickly so it looks just like black pudding, served drizzled with a black cherry coulis that looks like congealed blood. I have to say, it was epic.

Reactions: nigelp

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Hello - where have you been.

More nutritious
They don't tend to be Hunters in my opinion. Mostly idiots with access to lower end tools such as Crossbows and the like.

No one does a DSC with an idea 'fun' is going to be part of the experience package .
I had a vegetarian black pudding/salami thing for pudding today at an Italian restaurant.

I might make it myself. It was chunks of dark and milk chocolate with crunched up biscuit (like Rich Tea) in it, melted slightly and formed into a big salami sausage shape. They then chill it and slice it thickly so it looks just like black pudding, served drizzled with a black cherry coulis that looks like congealed blood. I have to say, it was epic.
Yeh but it’s a dessert not savoury like the real McCoy I’d imagine it’s great for teeth also

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

Sounds interesting - was it very sweet?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sounds interesting - was it very sweet?

It was. The cherry coulis set it off like Black Forest Gateaux, very, very sharp against the chocolate. The whole concept was brilliant.

Yeh but it’s a dessert not savoury like the real McCoy I’d imagine it’s great for teeth also

We’re 7 pages in on the veggie black pudding thread, I was a bit bored TBH so I thought I’d describe a different take on it in the form a black pudding but actually a chocolate pudding.
Never been too worried about sugar and teeth to be honest, it takes a while for plaque to form and produce acid. These days we keep our mouths much cleaner than we used to.

Reactions: nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm happy to report a success on the eating non-meat front - I did say I was going to try and I have.

To anyone sceptical , I've always eaten meat , have no problem harvesting animals from nature or raising and culling my own and have no particular axe to grind either way but thought I should be open minded enough to try.

So ,these little bad boys are spot on - I really can't tell a difference in texture or flavour. So from my perspective no real reason not to eat them.

1679677606171.png

If i was pushed to really pick a fault , IF one was really looking at ensuring their macronutrients dietary goals are met , at 8-10 grams of protein per Kiev its probably half of what a processed Chicken Kiev would offer.

( An Egg will typically have 6 grams of Protein , A chicken breast 30 grams as a general guide )

Really do recommend these - I will probably be sticking with them and trying more of the range.

Reactions: Broch

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
By way of update, vegan chorizo was pretty good. Didn’t produce as much oil as the meat one so not ideal if you rely on it as seasoning.
Picked a packet of Sainsbury's 'Plant Pioneers Chorizo Shroomdogs' to give them their full name. Jury's still out on them at the moment but might be worth a try. The reviews seem a bit love or hate.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Saw this vegetarian (and vegan) black pudding in ASDA.
Not as dark and salty as the blood equivalent but acceptable - tried it on a pizza and it was good.

View attachment 78142View attachment 78143View attachment 78144
Ive seen that quite a bit in ireland. Massive into black and white pudding here and theres a vegi option. I had some once. It was okish but very dry I thought. The real deal is way nicer. The brand is famous here and is called connakilty from a town of the same name. Its in county cork x

Reactions: Poacherman

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Ive seen that quite a bit in ireland. Massive into black and white pudding here and theres a vegi option. I had some once. It was okish but very dry I thought. The real deal is way nicer. The brand is famous here and is called connakilty from a town of the same name. Its in county cork x
Lots of gravy, or baked beans with it! I didn’t buy any more once it was gone. It was ok with scrambled eggs to add some texture but as you say lacks the fat and that in traditional black pudding.

I’ve been working my way through nut roast recipes and trying some of the shop bought ones. They are ok but can also be a bit dry and some are under seasoned or too much pepper. I try to avoid eating too much processed food wether that’s veggy, or not.

I think i will continue to just have lots more veg with my meals rather than meat substitutes.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It can be a problem with the real deal finding stuff with decent fat.

Certainly nutrient rich...maybe too much.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
It can be a problem with the real deal finding stuff with decent fat.
Totally agree. They should be looped in natural casing and be generously provided with cubic cm’s of pork fat.

We used to call them Bury Puddings - well that was the polite name.

I find the commonly available ones a bit saw-dusty. Never had the veggie one. Can’t quite understand why there would be a market for them.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Lots of gravy, or baked beans with it! I didn’t buy any more once it was gone. It was ok with scrambled eggs to add some texture but as you say lacks the fat and that in traditional black pudding.

I’ve been working my way through nut roast recipes and trying some of the shop bought ones. They are ok but can also be a bit dry and some are under seasoned or too much pepper. I try to avoid eating too much processed food wether that’s veggy, or not.

I think i will continue to just have lots more veg with my meals rather than meat substitutes.
Baked beans are full off sugar id class it as processed food

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As an almost all my adult life vegetarian, I have to say that I don't like the fake stuff much.

I get the whole 'burger' or 'sausage' thing because they're easy ways to make a patty of some kind, but to deliberately try to make vegetables taste of meat just does not compute.

Be honest about your food.

Reactions: Poacherman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE