Vegemite or Marmite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vegemite or Marmite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had to go and search for my old "Bleedin Acronyms" thread on British Blades to figure that one out!!

Many Happy Returns Of The Day!!

Cheers Red!!

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I've never tried Vegimite and was always under the impression that it was the same as Marmite but used a different name in Australia :eek:

Can someone explain the difference please?

Now if Bovril was on this poll I know where my vote would go but as it isn't I cannot comment.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love both!
However both hate me and the merest twiglet will give me a crashing migraine!
Any known cure as I long to spread either thickly on brown toast and revel in this hedonistic pleasure again - minus the migraine!
John

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Marmite! The magic ingredient :D

I love it on toast, but it's also a fantastic addition to stews and savouries. I make a mean marmite and onion gravy... great with Quorn sausages, a pile of mash potato and shredded spring greens...

I'm hungry... :(

Patrick

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I prefer Vegemite in the UK and Marmite in NZ. The taste veries from place to place. I guess it depends on the yeast that is used - a beer thread again :D

Huon

ledamni

Dec 5, 2006
UK
British Red said:
In honour of our newest (aussie) member

Some things have to be settled! :D

Red

Im greatly honoured...but

This settles nothing, everyone knows your just upset cause you cant thrash us at cricket even though most australians dont give a monkeys uncle about such crap games. I mean why bother with the cricket when you can go watch AFL and have a meat pie floater and throw empty tinnies at the cheer slags and ump, all whilst sat in teh back of your Ute with your Ugg's on. :D

I don't think we are ever going to change his mind... and here's why;

GreyWolf; Your pretty bloody right with that, Britain makes some loverly beer, put it also makes some complete rubbish, the best thing being all the best stuff gets exported, all the nasty stuff is drunk here buy the derrows and lager louts.

As to australian beers it's the biggest joke ever, somehow people got it into there heads we all drink XXXX and fosters, well the notherners drink XXXX but everyone else drinks appears to drink VB, MB, Coopers, or Tooheys. Now fair enough VB's rotten cats urine, but MB's a loverly drop as was SB before they stopped making it. Coopers and the related cloudies never make it anywhere cause the guys at cober pedy drink to much of it, and even Tooheys the facist corporatation make something plausable. Even XXXX is a ridiculas joke, in australia its a corporate name for a range of beers, here it's constantly miss named "castleman XXXX" and it's one beer in a form that wouldnt be sold in australia...too bloody weak monkey urine.

I have to tell my joke here...

Why is XXXX called XXXX... because queenslanders can't spell beer. (Bah dom cha)

Wines are a subjects all of there own, I can't get passed driving around France stopping every few hours trying diffrent things though, that is bloody special, you can do similar things in australia but the millage is stupid and it invloves crossing time lines.

And vegimite is still better because I say so! And im sorry but a very large portion of english people(and thankfully not most of the people I know) do eat complete rubbish and have no taste, I take as my evidence Farmfoods, Thankfully you have some educated chef's doing there outmost to try and educate a few of the masses that they need not eat crap, Did anyone catch the Chocolate fruit cake last night on Nigel, ugly women she may be but shes a damn fine chef.

Look at what you can do with the cooked English Breakfast,

Tescos bargain base sausages or a proper Lincoln Sausage,
Danish water filled or a dry smoked bacon,
Fresh woodland chicken or duck eggs or induced labour Omega 3 jobbies,
Fresh field mushrooms, or the putrid button mushrooms that taste of rubber.
The only thing thats always right is Heinz Baked Beans, I even try to get the home made ones to try and taste the same.

Im reminded of George Orwells In Defence of English Cooking;

‘It is commonly said, even by the English themselves, that English cooking is the worst in the world. It is supposed to be not merely incompetent, but also imitative...’

if anyones interested try here; http://www.orwell.ru/library/articles/cooking/english/e_dec

As much as I'd love to comtinue the debate i've got breakfast to prepare and neighbours to watch and if anyones completely confused buy any of what I just said don't worry I already stolen a better looking half, and i'll be gone as soon as I make enough money :D

ledamni

Dec 5, 2006
UK
Bootstrap Bob said:
I've never tried Vegimite and was always under the impression that it was the same as Marmite but used a different name in Australia :eek:

Can someone explain the difference please?

You can read all about the history, at various places, but basically they are the same principle applied to the same thing with various local results.

They both taste completely diffrent and they both have diffrent properties, ie vegimite is hard marmite is soft, but pretty much its a weather thing, vegimite in australia will go exactly like marmite if you leave it on a window sill, they both made from left over yeast from the beer making process hence the diffrence in taste as the waters, hop's and yeast, etc are also completely diffrent tasting, and a chemist came up with the idea as beery yeast has alot of really good stuff in it thats amazing good for you. This is the same reason why Australian porduced "English" beer tastes like Australian beer and nothing like original, if you ever get the chance go to Burton upon Trent and find a spring then you know why beer tastes the way it does, theres a science to it.

Now the real questions are; what was the guiness spread version like, why does america manage to screw up even something as simple as beer, and why have i still not had breakfast

leon-1

I must agree with ledamni about the beers (if you could call them that) that Australia exports, they are **** poor. A bit like thier vegemite.

Just as well we all don't judge other nations by thier exports isn't it.

Marmite everyday and twice on Sundays over that foul rubbish import that should be used to tar roads.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Cheers Ledamni
That makes it a bit clearer, there's an element of truth in what I had been told but it sounds like it's all in the detail :lmao:

Still never tried it though.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
fred gordon said:
Marmite is the earwax of the dedil, a foul noxious poison that needs a yuck warning.
Tadpole, I take it you are not too keen on marmite!! I still think it is a very versatile substance, even my dog loves it. :)

No,no, no, no.............. Marmite is great stuff............ LIQUORICE is the scrapings from the devils underpants :BlueTeamE :AR15firin :BlueTeamE ............as you said............ a foul noxious poison that needs banning from all cultures and humanity forever, never to return ever, ever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE