Variation on a Bow saw. My own design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Been sitting on this "patent pending" idea for almost a year having dreamed it up a while ago and was unwilling to post it up for fear some big company like Ray Mears outfit would rumble in and claim the design. Then I thought about submitting it to all sorts of pattern companies to make my fortune. Then having thought about it some more I really can't be ar$ed. It ain't rocket science and it's against my nature to keep quiet about something that might be a good idea. So here it is for all to see.

I'm sure a design like this could have many applications, military or bushcrafty, whatever. So remember folks you saw it here first. 12.09pm (gmt+1) 19th June 2011. Hopefully you can all bear witness to that fact if someone comes along and says that they invented the T-saw.

Since this is my own desgn I would like to have some recognition as the inventor of it. PM me for my address to send the cheques to :lmao:

Hmmm now having built myself up to that lofty tower, I bet someone's going to say "Hey, I've seen that design before!" Well I would like to be shot down in flames, so if you have seen it elsewhere, say so, with proof. Thanks.

This variation is a lot simpler than the conventional Bow saw, lighter, faster assembly, fits into a tube for easier carrying. I'm sure you can see the merits of this over the traditional pattern.

Anyway I'll let the pictures tell the story. Thanks for reading. Comments always welcomed.

Tee-Saw01.jpg

Tee-Saw02.jpg

Tee-Saw03.jpg

Tee-Saw04.jpg

Tee-Saw05.jpg

Tee-Saw06.jpg

Tee-Saw07.jpg

Tee-Saw08.jpg

Tee-Saw09.jpg

Tee-Saw10.jpg

Tee-Saw11.jpg

Tee-Saw12.jpg

Tee-Saw13.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Nice work dude!, do you find it restrictive towards the size of wood you can cut? I really like the thought put into the constrution,

Thanks for the feedback already fellas. Glad you liked the gloves beenn, seemed the logical way to show how.

Nope Southey it's not really that much different than the metal framed bow saw in the 2nd to last picture. The blade length is 21 inches I didn't notice that much of a restriction while using it. I know what you mean though about conventional bow saw and the horizontal member clearence. if oyu need to cut a thicker log then simply rotate to wood around for the clearence. I'm guessing this would go through 5 inch logs without hassles. The log I cut was about that and I didn't have to use too many short strokes to get the sawing done.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Great idea Aaron - I like the fact that the blade is 'permanently' fixed to the handles and thus it packs up to protect it and your kit from it! Also the fact that all you need to do is unfold it and put in the fulcrum bolt an thus there is little to loose is great too!

Biker

Ged, all I have to say is PHEW! Thanks mate, seeing that has solved a lot of my concerns and worries. Now I don't have to worry about some oik ripping off my idea as it's already in use. Anyway no harm done, so thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

G4ghb you've noticed and listed all the good things about this design, thanks!

Biker

Fantastic
The best pack saw I've ever seen......Ever !
I'm gonna make me a "Biker Saw"

Praise indeed! Why do I feel I just upset Mr Bow Saw now? :lmao:

From making that up from scratch I think it's a brill idea. Congrats. The work is nice too!

Trust me, being a carpenter by trade helped enormously.

Folks, they say imitation is the highest form of praise, so if you're going to make a version of this for yourself I'd love to see it. Feel free to go with the idea.

Been thiking about this this afternon and I'm betting a simple stave of wood battoned down it's length and wood screws used to fit the blade into place could be cobbled together in the woods without too much effort. Gotta be better than making a bow saw from scratch.

Thanks for the feedback, I mean it. Thanks.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Most excellent design. Very neat.

Now can you make another version out of old bits of pallet (with your eyes closed) so that I have something I might realistically aim to copy!

Seriously good work fella, thanks for posting.

Z

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
one question, is the tensioning part needed in this design? does the wing nut and bolt do the job itself? or is there not enough tension with just that?

Tee-Saw12.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE