Variation on a Bow saw. My own design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
one question, is the tensioning part needed in this design? does the wing nut and bolt do the job itself? or is there not enough tension with just that?

Tee-Saw12.jpg

think i have worked it out, my way of thinking would only work if you had halfing joint and the bolt?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Most excellent design. Very neat.

Now can you make another version out of old bits of pallet (with your eyes closed) so that I have something I might realistically aim to copy!

Seriously good work fella, thanks for posting.

Z

Find 2 pieces of wood the same section (width and thickness) slightly longer than the blade. NO KNOTS!

Lay the blade on one piece of wood, mark and drill the hole for the bolt, do the same on the other piece.

Be sure to drill a corresponding countersink hole so the bolt head is let into the other half of the "sandwich" when put together.

Cut a notch out at the same end of each piece of wood. One facing up the other facing down. You'll have to figure out which way is which.

Drill a hole in one piece half way along. and the other at the opposite end to the fixed blade point.

Assemble, loop over the paracord, wind it up using a windlass bar and Bob's yer uncle: One "Biker saw".

Simples!

Hey Zingmo, so us some pix once it's done, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Ego thanks you too.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
one question, is the tensioning part needed in this design? does the wing nut and bolt do the job itself? or is there not enough tension with just that?

Tee-Saw12.jpg

I'm not too sure, but with the bit that you have removed I think that would leave the blade loose and wobbly.

Biker

think i have worked it out, my way of thinking would only work if you had halfing joint and the bolt?

The blade needs to be under tension due to the blade being thin. A normal handsaw relies on having a larger surface area to keep it from bending on the push stroke. A bow saw blade is narrow and relies on the frame holding it rigid. It will work, of sorts, but it will kink eventually. A halving joint would hold the frame rigid but won't put tension on the blade, at least not to the degree it really needs.

Plus as you push the handle end the blade will compress and then buckle.

Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ged, all I have to say is PHEW! Thanks mate, seeing that has solved a lot of my concerns and worries. Now I don't have to worry about some oik ripping off my idea as it's already in use. Anyway no harm done, so thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

G4ghb you've noticed and listed all the good things about this design, thanks!

Still a brilliant design and I like yours better. :)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
The blade needs to be under tension due to the blade being thin. A normal handsaw relies on having a larger surface area to keept it from bending on the push stroke. A bow saw blade is narrow and relies on the frame holding it rigid. It will work, of sorts, but it will kink eventually. A halving joint would hold the frame rigid but won't put tension on the blade, at least not to the degree it really needs. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

cool cheers, i see the issue with tension, thought the halving joint would do the job, but sure your correct. why chance perfection lol I will try your design when i get chance to go the the work shop :) cheers Biker, its a nice simple bow saw idea i was looking for.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Now, don't get me wrong, your design is nothing short of a work of art..... but ( we knew that was coming didn't we?), practically speaking, in the cold, damp, dark with shivery, maybe panicky, cold numb fingers, would you want to be assembling something as fundamental as a saw that has webbing, wingnuts and a windlass? I have lost wingnuts in my back garden, it would be a dead loss in a forest (I lost one in my kitchen once, when I was attaching a bike trailer, it disappeared under the oven!) Surely better to have one that is ready to use?

It is a pretty thing though, that's certain.

Biker

Maggot I hear what you're saying. Yes a folding saw would work wonders in comparison. However there are some people who like using a bow saw, or as the American's call them Buck saws. Homemade ones are always nice to make over something that you could pay top dollar for at certain "survival" or bushcraft websites.

Yes a conventional Bow saw would require some fiddly assembly. My design is assembled in half the time as a Bow saw. (I timed it and rushed both times) There is only one wing nut to tighten up (or potentially lose under the oven)

I've just posted this over at the BCUSA forum and so far they seem postive about it. I was sorta expecting a torch-bearing mob ready to burn for heresy for having the nerve to go against the traditional system of things.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback. I really would like to see any copies done of this saw.

Thanks

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Very cool!

As for the wingnut surely you could just attach it to the frame on a piece of cord. Oversized wingnut so you can use it with gloves and a hole for the cord on one of the wings.

Biker

Very cool!

As for the wingnut surely you could just attach it to the frame on a piece of cord. Oversized wingnut so you can use it with gloves and a hole for the cord on one of the wings.

Yeah that'd work, even tie it using flourescent paracord to the eyelet of the bolt I used. This was intended to double up as a means of carrying it on a sort of rifle shoulder strap.

Seems I spoke a bit too soon about the US forum. There's some bloke already saying he prefers the conventional Buck saw since you can use the whole of the blade. Even two people able to use one. Well yes that is that fact but even the pointy metal framed ones, and mine to some degree allow you to get in to the trunk of the tree without too much hassles so you can use the tip of the saw to start the cut.

Anyway it's horses for courses. Just thought I'd share it twas all.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hey dude, you sound a little beat up on this? I think it's a cracking execution of your idea. I havn't used a buck saw with the narrow end bit that's the only reason I asked about if you found it tight on space, it is a good design, it would be lighter than a normal but too just because you don't need the cross beam, I don't think you would use a tool like this in haste any way, but if you did it would be quicker than a H buck by design, I take my buck and a Laplander just because if i want to saw something while trundling the little saw is there, but when stopped for a couple of nights the buck is easily the better. Keep on keeping on matey!

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Been thiking about this this afternon and I'm betting a simple stave of wood battoned down it's length and wood screws used to fit the blade into place could be cobbled together in the woods without too much effort. Gotta be better than making a bow saw from scratch.

Wow......Genius idea.
Total weight= bugger all.
This is the version of the world famous "Biker Saw" that I'm going with.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
Can't see the pictures from work but as soon as you said 'T' saw I drew a doodle and lo and behold, it was the same as the metal one! It just goes to show that the simplest ideas are flashes of inspiration, as you can always go 'it's so simple' but few have the get up and go to try new things.

Even if it's been done before, it was a flash of inspiration from mr biker that meant the design occurred to him without seeing the metal one somewhere else, so well done mate, that kind of innovation is what got us out of the trees in the first place! more of the same!

Biker

Hi Southey,
No not beaten up by the response from the US forum. Sorta expected it really, like the French they're very ingrained in tradtional thiking, anything new coming along that's different is shied away from, eventually to become taboo... unless you're a home spun good ol' boy Amercian who invented it. No offence to ANY Americans reading this. I lived with Americans for 2 years and have lots of American friends and accept that as part of their make up. So no I'm cool about it.

I get what you're saying about taking an H frame buck saw along with you for a longer stay. It can be aseembled at your leisure and used. The main thing about my design is that it is lighter, for those kit weighers.
Can be assembled in half the time, for those who need to saw something up 30mins ago.
And lastly can be made by someone with 10 thumbs.

Glad you liked the suggested scenario monkey spanner. Another project for someone once the camp's all set up then eh? I mean there's only so many wooden spoons you can carve or variations thereof.

World famous? Hardly since it only hit the forums on Sunday afternoon, but I could deal with that phrase being in my CV :lmao:

Biker

that kind of innovation is what got us out of the trees in the first place! more of the same!

I thought it was getting sick and tired of a diet of fruit and nuts, and wondering what that cow below tasted like when dead? :lmao:

Anyway thanks for the compliment. Neck can hardly take the strain of my swollen head now. blacking out .. headrest creaking.. gotta deflate... some..how.

Thud.

Hello floor

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I thought it was getting sick and tired of a diet of fruit and nuts, and wondering what that cow below tasted like when dead? :lmao:

Anyway thanks for the compliment. Neck can hardly take the strain of my swollen head now. blacking out .. headrest creaking.. gotta deflate... some..how.

Thud.

Hello floor

Yer drawings are rubbish!

That help?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE