using your other senses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
today i had a mate come to see me,we went to the woods
i sat him down and told him to close his eyes and use his other senses ie hearing etc he gave me a funny look, then i said open your mouth 1/2 an inch and yes another funny look but he did so then i told him i was going to disapear for a bit and make some noises i asked him to tell me what he thought they were when i got back i also said i wanted him to note the direction of the sound and any other sounds about i then went i sneeked around behind him and a pigion took flight he was amazed that he could follow the flight of the pigion with his ears after making some other sounds i came back into camp and he told me what he had heard .i said you can also tell what type of trees are around by the sound they make which is helpfull at night so next time we go to the woods its smell time

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We used to do a similar exercise with recruits... walk them around the woods at night whilst routine tasks were carried out .... they were always amazed by how much information they could get "just" from their ears.

Just thinking about it makes me want a bacon butty cooked over hexy blocks....

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Sounds very interesting to improve/develop those skills, maybe you know of some interesting/fun ways to train/experience them? Might give it a try next time I'm out guiding a group of friends...

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
your jaw muscles are conected to your ear muscles so by opening your mouth it makes the hole bigger + with your mouth open you dont listen to your tounge as it makes a noise
inside your mouth

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Cupping your hands behind your ears also makes you hear much better as well. I was amazed how much better you can hear. It makes it especially easyer to notice the direction from which a sound came/goes to.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If trying to focus on an object in the dark try looking just to the left or right of it, makes quite a difference ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If trying to focus on an object in the dark try looking just to the left or right of it, makes quite a difference ;)

Quite right, and also a hand above your eyes helps with contrast, even if it is a dull, overcast day and you are trying to focus on something the sky can spoil it. By using your hand to block the sky, you will improve your chances of seeing what you want to see. Cupped hands behind the ears is a fantastic way of improving your hearing. It really focuses your hearing into one direction so that you can pinpoint where a sound is coming from.

lways worth remembering these old fashioned ways.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Quite right,
Always worth remembering these old fashioned ways.

Too true,
The animal imitation actions that we are most familiar with is the repeated light sniffing when trying to detect smell - but there are others like the guys have mentioned;

The owl head movement to catch sight of something

A dogs or foxes head twist when listening intently for direction.

Taste plays a small part in identifying smells too, so another good reason to keep your mouth open - don't go around deliberately tasting nasties, but the air expelled after breathing in can carry important scents if done through the mouth.

Some good tips here guys, keep 'em coming

ATB

Ogri the trog

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Cupping your hands behind your ears also makes you hear much better as well. I was amazed how much better you can hear. It makes it especially easyer to notice the direction from which a sound came/goes to.

Remember to think about direction though - cupping ears helps to isolate and focus your hearing in the direction the sound is coming from, but works both ways.

eg if you're listening to something behind you there's no point cupping your hands behind your ears - cupping them in front works better.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
eg if you're listening to something behind you there's no point cupping your hands behind your ears - cupping them in front works better.

Wow, thanks a million :lmao:

What I do, when I use that cupped hand technique, is turning my head both way's and "home in" on a sound, to locate where it is comming from.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
If you want to look at something really small, try folding your index finger round so the nail is on the base of your thumb, you'll then have a tiny 'peep-hole' left where your knuckles all meet, look through this and the object comes into focus better.
My brother (who is short sighted) uses this trick to read his bedroom clock without his glasses on

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
As Lush said cupping your ears is awesome i forgot about that little trick, Im also pretty good at "throwing" my voice, freaked a few people out with that before. thanks for that tip Forge :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you want to look at something really small, try folding your index finger round so the nail is on the base of your thumb, you'll then have a tiny 'peep-hole' left where your knuckles all meet, look through this and the object comes into focus better.
My brother (who is short sighted) uses this trick to read his bedroom clock without his glasses on

I believe this is the same principle as the pin hole camera, my brother used to use it, no idea why as he has excellent vision. I found, as you say, that it is a good method to focus on something whilst not wearing glasses. I'm as blind as a blind thing without them!

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...

Better still Dwardo let the object you are wanting to see BE on the left or the right of where you look-
In the dark you mostly see things in black and white-
The cones that receive colour are centered in the eye whereas the rods that only interpret black & white are to the outside of the cones.
Hence side vision is sharper at night-
Using a torch with a red filter at night saves cocking up your night vision too. :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I used to joke about using the force but you can sense things and people on a subconscious level in the same way you know she is in a foul mood when she walks in the door even before she slams it :)

I cant describe it only show what I mean.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
hi thats called sixth sense if you go with your gut instinct you are normaly right ,it works really well when tracking deer in the woods you know its there before you hear /smell/ or see it

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Ive always done a lot of sea fishing off rocks, and a couple of times ive gotten a strange, unsettled feeling, like almost losing your nerve but for no obvious reason. Backed off and and had a fag, and seen a big ole freak wave steam in.

i aint no uri geller type, but it makes you think,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE