Roderick Anderson Boyle 'Buschcraft Rod'.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Roderick Anderson Boyle 'Buschcraft Rod'.

I do not know how to go about this so I will just shoot from the hip. I
bring sad tidings to the group Rod, the founder of Green School, sadly passed away in January. It was both quick and peaceful and he had been walking his dog, sat down and had an instant heart attack. Many of you will remember him from his attendance at the Bush Moot 10 years ago having been very, very active member of the forum. He decided to go back to university and studied boatbuilding and produced a wonderful Orkney Yoll as his final project. His boat made it into the yachting papers and with luck is going to be preserved in Orkney as an exhibit.

Rod represented all that was interesting in bushcrafting he could build things and would produce an entire campsite with just a sharp knife and a piece of string. He made furniture, boats, canoes and canoe paddles. He carved wooden images and he followed his dreams. He connected with people.

His funeral is on his Facebook page but it will be taking place on 24 February at 2:15 PM Bournemouth crematorium in the small chapel. There will also be a gathering at 3.45 at the Pavilion Inn, Wimborne Road, Bournemouth. If you would like to send memories of the Rod to his family please email inmemoryofrod@gmail.com

My favourite story of Rod is when we were walking the West Highland Way. As many of you who remember him Rod was very grumpy in the morning until he went to the lavatory. We had been walking the W. Highland Way for about two days in the absolute pouring rain. It was pretty close to misery some of the path was actually thigh deep in water and mud. We stopped off at a bothy and the next morning Rod decides to go and do his daily dozen sitting on the grass, the theory being that the rain will wash away all evidence. Rod proceeds with his ablutions and I hear a scream, I come running out of the bothy to see him sitting at the bottom of the hummock. Rod had fallen the backwards and it slid about 15 feet in the grass, down the slope leaving two buttock shaped skid marks on the hill. He stood up turnaround looked up and loudly announced 'well, that's the longest skid mark I've ever made before!' He then took off his trousers and boots and boldly walks into the loch and gave himself a vigourous scrub. All of this while I was holding myself up against the wall of the bothy laughing so hard I thought my sides were going to split.

Will miss you my old friend.

Roderick 'Doc' Sandsnakes.Rod in tshirt.jpg
Rod Yoll.jpg

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That is sad news. I liked Rod B and had nice chats with him at camps during the early days of this forum. He used to live pretty close to me and was a regular at Swyns meets. I have wondered where and how he was for a while.

Rod B told me about his time visiting Torjus in Norway, in winter. I had been there in June and on returning warned Rod and the other folk going in winter that they better get very fit because the terrain was rough and the climb from the farm to the tops, which Torjus described as a little steep was about like this /! Rod had to do it in knee deep snow and described having a severe attack of Torettes about half way up!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds like Rod was someone who will be very much missed.
My condolences to his family and friends, though I'm sure the memories will be very rich.

M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Wow, only just seen this! So sad to hear, Rod was a great guy, had many great conversations with him in the old days and enjoyed viewing his craftsmanship in recent time... He did many a Moot and we paddled together years ago.

Hope you're doing ok Roderick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE