Use a dust mask! (Respiratory protection)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Gents, here's my 2 cents on using respiratory protection:

I work with a Dutch professional tool wholesaler, and I am responsible for product info. In that respect I have recently dug in the equipment for personal protection, especially dust masks.

For what it's worth, I have translated my DUTCH info. The equipment we sell comes from North Safety (www.northsafety.com), and I think they sell in the UK as well. I only have info on disposable dust masks. But I know that companies like North have information on a lot more materials and what kind of protection/equipment you need. So you could contact a supplier to get more info.

What disposable dust masks are there, and against what should you use them?

P1 (on the mask it says: FFP1): for harmless, non-binding dust
In other words: simple jobs around the house, sweeping the garden, etc.

P2 (on the mask it says: FFP2): for harmful dust
You need this as a MINIMAL protection when you drill, sand, grind, cut, saw etc. the following materials:

All ferro-metals, such as carbon steel, etc.
All polyester and aramide fibers, such as micarta, all plastics, but also MDF, etc.
All soft woods, such as pine, spruce, etc.
Dust from wheat, flour, crops, etc.
Dust from cement, concrete, etc.
And more.

P3 (on the mask it says: FFP3): for toxic dust
For enzymes, spores, bacteria, viruses.
Quartz, silcum/silicate materials (for instance sand lime bricks)
All hardwoods: oak, beech, but also tropical species such as meranti, bankirai, and the well known species like cocobolo etc etc.
All non-ferro metals like stainless steel, aluminium, copper, brass (tubing!), lead, gold, silver, etc.
Fumes from welding
And more.

Note 1: P2 also protects against everything P1 protects again.
P32 also protects against everything P2 protects again.
Be safe, get P3. About a fiver here in Holland.

Note 2: For resins, impregnation fluids, acids (etching) etc. you need additional protection! The fumes are not dust, so they will not be stopped by these masks. For this you need face masks / half face masks with a specific filter for the materials/fluids you use. These are color- and letter coded. If anyone wants, I have a complete list of chemicals that these filters will protectagainst. Send PM and I'll email it.

More info here: http://www.draeger.es/ST/internet/pd...on_and_use.pdf

This info is given on a personal base, no rights can be derived from it. But if you have questions, I’d be grateful to try and answer them.

Regards and stay well,

Thijs

Ps: this is also posted in British Blades "So sick: Wood dust" in Resources.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...?t=5652&page=6

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I see where he is coming from. A lot of the materials mentioned we use for many tasks. We have knife makers who grind carbon steel, we all use wood. I think he is just pointing out the hidden dangers to what we enjoy doing, and suggesting a little caution and forethought.

Edit...Too slow :)

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Indeed. I know a living example who makes guitars for a hobby. He is now allergic to fine dust and house bound mite. And he was in his workshop twice a week, no more.

If the mods want to replace this to "Other chatter", the DIY-ers and makers would probably not see this.

EDIT: maybe this should be in the DIY section.....mod?

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi thijs i am a part time knife maker so i can appreciate what you are saying in respect of health and safety. i have half a dozen safety masks safety glasses goggles etc i have tride to where them on numerous occasions but unfortunately i have to where glass as well for every day tasks i find when wearing this safety gear my glasses steam up badly or get so covered in dust i cant see a thing . with puts me in a more potentially dangerous situation as we often use cutting grinders bench grinds sanders etc.so in my situation i have to sacrifice a little dust in my lungs witch i usually manage to cough up for the quality of my work Ive worked in the marine industry most of my life as a marine painter so my lung are probably full of all sorts of foreign bodies including asbestos.when doing a task where any dust is present i do in the open air up to know it hasn't harmed me in any way thanks for your concern thou .stanley

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I think the dangers with some (not all) materials are overstated. Some woods are toxic or just incredibly irritating, and protection should be worn - when I first used wenge (gorgeous wood!) I got worried afterwards because I read that it would cause a rash, irritation, difficulty breathing, itchy eyes - none of which I got... but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.

There are certainly some chemicals, fumes etc which should not be used without protection. Working in a garage with no breathing protection at all taught me that ;)

I tend to think it's a bit counterproductive if I keep removing the mask to smoke a cigarette, so I tend not to bother. I'm still at the age where I haven't quite realised my own mortality yet, I think...

Pete

PS: My point is a little hard to get, I think. I do think it's good you posted the information, as I know absolutely nothing about the levels of protection offered by different kinds of respirator, and I'm sure many others are the same!

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Stanley: FYI, there are dustgoggles available for spectacle wearers. They have an insert in them that can be made to match your own glasses. So you'd have corrective dustgoggles. (VX-7 Sproggle from North Safety.)

I wear glasses myself and indeed, dustmasks don't go well with glasses.
Half face masks are better with glasses, they don't leak air that steams up your glasses. And these can have filters which include P3 dust protection.

Draven: I emailed the same info to friends and family. First thing my mother mailed back: "So, are you going to wear a mask when smoking then?" :rolleyes: So I get your point.

Mind you, the people that now are in their sixties and have dust lungs, didn't know (or ignored) what protection they needed then...

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
If you do have the need for a dust mask RS Componants online catalogue do the same kind of thing, but cheaper as it is UK based.

People dont realise that a lot of molds will establish a nice healthy home up your nose! You stand more of a chance of getting something from an old carpet or rotting domestic waste than you do in the woods.

No affiliation etc, etc.

Sandsnakes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE