Turning 40 and need to go for a walk.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
In January I turn 40. I'm not much for birthdays and such but just before turning 30 me and the missus did some travelling that involved trekking in the himalayas ( Annapurna area). I'm keen to do something similar again around that time of year.

At the moment my two main contenders are Everest base camp or a section of the Apalachian Trail in Shenandoah national park. One certainly sounds grander than the other, my main limitations being time and the ever present threat of my back going twang in the middle of nowhere.

Anyone have any views or other suggestions. I'll bet some of you lot have done some great trips.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Perhaps not as glamorous as a section of the Apalachian Trail but the Lycian Way in Turkey is a longish walk (500 KM), it has wild sections where getting out with an injured back might be tricky but it is well served with small villages and such so you would never be too far from help.

Some photos and info here.

Great people, fabulous and changing countryside, January would be a bit hardcore however late March/April are probably good times to go, not too hot and that part of Turkey is gorgeous in the spring.

:)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi

Ird reccommend a trip to the Himalaya, its not just a walk its a pilgrimage to a love of the outdoors. Ed

CNV00019-1.jpg

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I wouldn't leave it to late if you consider the Everest plan, I think there may be limits on the number of visitors to the base camp.

The Inca trails of Peru have always held a certain Magical Mysticism for me. Machu Picchu and camping at Wiñay Wayna.

I would also consider the rift valley of northern Morroco as well.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Nice picture Limaed! Whats the mountain in the background? Looks like fishtail to me butI'm a long way frm being sure. Where did you go on yours?

Barney, the base camp trek actually stops in a town just shy of basecamp itself and caters fairly well for trekkers as far as I can make out. I'm still in the information gathering stages though.

I really appreciate the responses so far. My missus reckons I've skewed the likely results though just by asking on here, she was expecting lots of bushcrafty, stay in the wooods stuff.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks Walks with Dogs, the mountain is an unnamed 6000m peak in the Barun valley (if I remmember rightly). The trip I went on was to climb Mera Peak and Baruntse, we all summited Mera Peak but Baruntse had a large crevasse which was to big to bridge with the equpiment we had. We then walked out via the Shipton La and Makalu Basecamp.
The trek out from Makalu was fantastic.

Although I think the Everest basecamp trek would be amazing I think I would consider some other areas in Nepal as its very probably very touristy, another area I visited on a previous trip is the Langtang valley which is quite close to Kathmandu.

On both trips I stayed at the Summit Hotel in Kathmandu, Summit Trekking is also based here, a small compant that runs treks and climbs.

The company is run by an ex Ghurka Officer (Kit Spencer) who has close links with the British Joint Services but he also does a lot of work for Jagged Globe and Himalayan Kingdoms.

Kit maybe able to offer you a sutible trek, it may also be cheaper then some of the big expedition companies. Ive no connection to the company except as an expedition member.

http://www.summit-nepal.com/

Thanks Ed

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm impressed mate! I doubt we will be doing any summits, we are walkers rather than climbers. Much kudos to you .

I suspect The base camp trek will be quite touristy, certainly the Jomsom trek we did was, but there is just something about the words Everest Base Camp that call out.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Yeh, the Everest trek would be great even if it is busy.
I forgot to say that Lonely Planet do a Trekking in Nepal now which might be worth a look also.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE