success with ruediger roll and a short rant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
about 30years ago i watchedd a programme featuring Ruediger Nehberg teaching kids basic survival/ bushcraft skills -- one skill featured was the "ruediger roll". we gave it a try afterwards -- poplar seed "wool" and ashes iirc -- but had no success, my guess is bad technique.... i never tried again, but recently picked up some cotton wool from a tree(not sure if its a commercially used variety or just a relative) when taking the dogs around the block. a few says ago i sanded a piece of rusty steel and collected the resulting powder. as i was planning to burn some organic waste not suitable for composting half an hour ago i decided to give it a try and instant success :) :) guess i'll be doing more experimenting and add this method to my "tool kit"

now the short rant: i'm currently the gardener/ dog keeper/ cleaner/ etc. for two people(so far friends of mine) on neighbouring properties, staying in a small room in the shed. one of them starts most days with a sixpack, the other one lacks common sense and is rather brainwashed which makes it increasingly difficult for me to cope with (three weeks ago the woman banshee - screeched for me 21.00 to remove a 'gigantic' 2" toad from her kitchen (maybe turning the lights off and putting doors on the house would help...) stuff like this has happened on multiple occasions -- i'm NOT Wayland Smithers!) when they go out on weekends i'm stuck inside the property as security guard, slowly going nuts. in return i'm supposed to have two days off during week every two weeks... they went away yesterday for the weekend which leaves me stuck inside as usual -- i'd have my two free days coming up this week BUT before they left the woman told me that yesterday would be one of my two days off (sitting inside) and i'll get only one day during week because it fits her schedule...
my patience with this bovine excrement has run out so i'll be leaving soon which means no WiFi for a while and no access to BCUK... (rant over)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Congratulations on your success with the Ruediger Roll :)
It's always satisfying when something like that works :cool:

Sorry to hear about your less than ideal 'friends'. Sometimes it does well for us to think hard on just how friendly we really want to be with some people.

I hope you find yourself better settled asap. We'll put the kettle on when you pop back in here :)

M

a new fire starting method is always exciting for pyromaniac :p
sorry for my rant, but currently i'm somewhat frustrated here and i needed to "let of some steam" and tell folks why i'll be going silent for a while soon...
i'll probably move back to a friend's place in the country side soon where things are a bit more level-headed (and hopefully find another source of income)

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I've found and added a video on the Reudiger roll for later perusal.

As for life choices, I think you've asked yourself the important question, "Am I happy?" and you've done a something about it.

thanks for everyone's reply :)
quick update: toilet paper doesn't seem to work for the "Ruediger roll" , but the seeds of the cotton tree i used (see post #1) germinated and are growing :cool:

it has been a crazy week for me: unfortunately i'm fighting with another piece of paperwork which will take a few weeks to sort (my ****** european bank replied to my email with "just come along and chat with the fellow at the counter" despite me clearly telling them i'm in Costa Rica :banghead::banghead::banghead:) which means i'm kinda stuck here until thats sorted (== it's a six hour round trip from my friend's place to town....) BUT next time i'm visiting my friend in the countryside i'll talk to him and ask him if it's o.k. if i move back (i'm sure it will as he has a large property ) -- i'm sure sooner or later i'd find some work there, too....

i'd miss the dogs, especially my little friend Biscuit (who likes to sneak in my room to sleep on my toes) but where i'm now is their home nd they're not my dogs....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE