Trusty Pocket knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all.

I am looking to buy a pocket knife at the moment. Ideally I am looking for a non locking UK legal blade, although 3 1/4 inches is legal enough! I currently carry a SAK in my pocket and use the big and small blades for whittling when I get the chance.

This is a lot of fun but I am looking for something with a little bit more umph. I tend to use the knife when out and about to carve what ever comes to hand for fun. I also use a pocket knife every day for general use of course. It would also be nice to have a sturdier folder for when I hit the hills and need a reliable blade in my pocket and not my pack ( moving fast with a neck knife can sometimes be uncomfortable).

Anyway, I have been checking out some multi bladed pocket knives, especially those American type ones like the congress pattern knife.

If anybody has any experience with these knives then any info would be helpful. I am looking for a rugged folder with the ability to be used on wood and general tasks.

Cheers, Alchemist

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Thank you for such a quick response.

If my post was a bit garbled before, I am just looking for any legal (ish) folder that can do the job. If my Mora folded in half then I would be very happy!

Anybody used a Marjacq knife?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It does of course depend on how much you want to spend,Opinel do good lightweight folders upto No7(bigger ones lock) some chinese made slippies are coming in with pretty high quality build for less than a tenner.Case slippies start around £20 and upwards,Spyderco UK penkife is robust and legal but will set you back about £60 or you could have a custom built Damascus for £100 upwards and a fair few in between.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Cheers for the replies so far. I have thought about a trevor ablett. Ideally I am actually looking for a stainless knife because I do quite a bit on the hills and do sometimes neglect very wet knives (sorry, I can be tired sometimes!).

I will take a look at queen cutlery. The U2 looks like a really good little knife. People say you either love it or hate it. If it is a big thick grind like the F1 I dont think I will like it!

Cheers all

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Most of these are good knives. The U2 is great, but small. If you like a knife with a good blade and a nice feel it's worth looking at BUCK knives.

Kris

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
The U2 is a very different knife to the F1, but the U2 does lock (Sorry about the bad pic :eek: )

DSC00154.jpg

The F1 spine is 4.45mm at it's thickest part
The U2 is 2.47mm
Mora is 2mm

You say "although 3 1/4 inches is legal enough!", I'm not sure about that rational - the legal limit is 3" so if your carrying anything longer you may as well carry a locking folder if you can justify it.

Spyderco UKPK, legal, one hand opening, S30V steel but certainly not a dedicated carver.
Blacl , green or orange scales available now (these are not the spyderco scales)
picture-4.jpg

Or more traditional maybe go for a Sod Buster

DSC00257-1.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Gentlemen. you have spoilt me. I didnt expect pics!

Rapid boy- When I say 3 1/4 inches I guess I mean that it depends on the circumstances. If I am out walking the dogs in the woods and have a reason then a copper wont mind too much. But a fixed knife might not cut the mustard.
Anyway, how many knives do you own. Your selection is outstanding.

Greenman- I notice that you sell the U2 on your website. It is a knife that seems to fit the bill really well. The handle and blade seem really simple and yet really fantastic. I am drawn to it like a fly to !£$". Is it really that good?

Hoodoo- That Trapper looks real nice. How much and where?

Decisions, decisions, decisions

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB

I haven't got a clue, i really wouldn't know where to start and to be honest i'd rather not think about it too much so im not even going to try and count them :eek: :D

The U2 is a really nice wee knife, a real pocket scalpel.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Gentlemen. you have spoilt me. I didnt expect pics!

Rapid boy- When I say 3 1/4 inches I guess I mean that it depends on the circumstances. If I am out walking the dogs in the woods and have a reason then a copper wont mind too much. But a fixed knife might not cut the mustard.

Greenman- I notice that you sell the U2 on your website. It is a knife that seems to fit the bill really well. The handle and blade seem really simple and yet really fantastic. I am drawn to it like a fly to !£$". Is it really that good?

Hoodoo- That Trapper looks real nice. How much and where?

Decisions, decisions, decisions

You can find those knives here.

Paddywacker

May 31, 2008
Dublin
I have a Fallkniven TK3 and its a cracking little knife. To be honest it doesnt get much use but when it does its never let me down.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Cheers all for the suggestions.

When I said that 3 1/4 was legal enough I guess I was just trying to get some suggestions outside of the narrow category. For example, the U2 or TK4 look just like what I am looking for, so I may get one for the pocket when out on the hills when I have a reason for carrying a knife.

For now though I am looking at something like a sodbuster which is non locking. EKA do a legal folder which seems to fit the bill also.

Given that I need a decent EDC I will get a legal single blade first. If I get a less expensive knife first then I can be a bit bolder with it in use!

Again, this forum is full of many very helpful people.:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE