Tribal Wives

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Did anybody watch this programe?

Its available here online
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/i...1&scope=iplayerlast7days&version_pid=b00c6s71

I enjoyed this, its great to see a focus on women, Its been noted before that we know less about the lives of women in remote communities than we do of the men. It was a heartwarming programe to see how quickly this weeks woman took to her new family and new mother in Panama. Her own mother had abandoned her aged 13 and I think being opened up to so much love had overwhelmed her and opened up a scar, but it was good to see her knuckle down, do the work and eat the food and drink without complaint. Nothing embarrasses me more than seeing travellers on tv go to remote communities and offend their hospitality by retching at the foods and refusing them! she even drank a drink of containing femented saliva from the whole tribe and sat and smoked a pipe afterwards. I don't think Id have the stomach for that!

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I caught it on iplayer last night (as they decided to make springwatch download only :() and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Seeing things from the female perspective certainly made a nice change. The change in the English woman, Sass, was aparent and she made some discoveries about herself and her life that many others could do with finding. Definately looking forward to next weeks one.

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
I have just watched the 1st episode repeat with sass from oxford.it tickled me when she said she woke up to find a row of eyes looking at her sleeping through the gaps in the hut planking slats.it turned out to be a load of the village children being curious.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive not watched it yet myself but I'll give it a look,however from what I read in the tv guide it just struck me that it could well be one of ya typical vomit inducing BBC lets get some nice,kind,noble,clever dark skinned never do no wrong wonderfull ethic types teaches stupid,ignorant,pathetic think their superior racist White middle class types about life,the universe and everything in it,lets have a good cry and a group hug crap series! I'll reserve judgement but I'll keep the vomit bowl handy just in case!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive not watched it yet myself but I'll give it a look,however from what I read in the tv guide it just struck me that it could well be one of ya typical vomit inducing BBC lets get some nice,kind,noble,clever dark skinned never do no wrong wonderfull ethic types teaches stupid,ignorant,pathetic think their superior racist White middle class types about life,the universe and everything in it,lets have a good cry and a group hug crap series! I'll reserve judgement but I'll keep the vomit bowl handy just in case!
reserve judgement? I think you just did judge it!

It wasnt this kind of programe. whereas I was fully expecting someone ignorant, they seem to have made an effort to pick someone they knew was up for it and understanding of the recipient culture.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, the Beeb are well known for patronising Indignant folk.

And the white, middle class, tribes, also

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Well I quite enjoyed that episode with the Waorani dudes. Bit more monkey on the menu
than I'd have gone for but the tribal wife certainly had a good time with them and seemed
to manage to get herself inadvertently married off - I wonder if that's where they got the
title from...

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I wish I could go out and live with indigenous people. Maybe I should have a sex change and send an application :lmao:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I missed most of these weeks, Ill watch it on bbc, I only caught the end where they announced "come on we've all got vaginas take your underwear off!"

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Sorry, this programme is only available to play in the UK (Why?)

GRRRRR :( :( :(

The joy that is BBC iplayer I'm afraid ... you can only use it if you have a UK ISP, apparently it's paid for by the license payers so only they can use it. Good old aunty still hasn't grasped the concept of the internet being a global (or in your case neighbourly) resource :rolleyes:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, yes! that is just what I meant to say!

But I think The Beeb should know better....they are so lowbrow these days.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
i watched the one last night..... i think that guy realloy will wait for her, he seemed so sad when she left.

I think she's mad for passing up the chance of living there with him. He was a handsome chap and also one of the best hunters, by all accounts. To think that she would rather return to a hectic lifestyle where she has to pay for everything (with Tax on top) and live, what is in effect, a loveless life makes me wonder about the kind of person she really is. Why go along with the whole "marriage" thing if there was nothing there? For good telly? doubtful as it would've made better telly if she had turned him down. Ah well, we shall never know I guess.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE