My experience in hurricane Irene.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
I spent my summer working in the states in New Jersey as an adventure trips counselor; lead an 85 mile long canoe trip, gained a promotion to nature directer had my own nature and survival classes. BEST SUMMER EVER! The experiences was far better than i imagined; watching bears, helping children with home sickness; saved the day when it was raining with my fire making skills for all of the cabins on cook outs and took the hood out of the boy. I could tell these stories for a month but this one in particular takes the biscuit. Before i even got to America i was pondering where i would travel after..... My own adventure after taking the campers on so many. I was considering Maine at first; but when i was on a course at woodsmoke i was recommended the White mountains, just south of Maine in New Hampshire. After doing some research i decided the white mountains was the place for me, and a great choice it was indeed.
I packed my bag with enough food for a few weeks and planned a route, i stopped off at a local information center to tell a Women of my plans. She told me the weather was looking good for the next couple of days. Found a quiet spot about near a river in some woodland. must of been 6' higher than the water level. I dug a hole and left my unneeded belongings in a dry bag to pik up on the way back. This is where i spent my first night; cooked some food, an amazing soup from wallmart, best instant soup I;ve ever had, meat potatoes and everything in it. One problem no spoon! :( I quickly found a piece of birch bark and a stick which i split half way down; I cut a circle out of the birch bark sheet and made a slit to the center, overlapping each side of the slit to form a bowl shape. I then inserted this between the split in the stick and.... Walaa, 1 spoon i a minute (thankfully the birch bark is much thicker over there). The next day after much thumbing and walking down roads I managed to hitch hike to the start of the first trail. The women that picked me up just needed someone to talk to; her son of 18 had just walked out of the house and left with all of his belongings, not being far away past 18 myself; i reassured her that he would come back and to use this time just to have fun and relax. I think she just wanted to mother someone, asking me questions making sure i have water and food.
I'd spotted a really nice looking lake towards the top of a mountain that i wanted to stop at for the night. The whole place is covered in trees, trees everywhere. the largest forest I've ever been in, so lucky that Steve recommend The White Mountain National Forest. On the trail; rounded a bend and came across a huge waterfall, I had no idea it was even going to be there. It must of been 40 ft. This isn't even a big deal to in the White Mountains, not even a sign post for it at the start of the trail and its not marked on the map. I had a refreshing break, filled my water bottle up and added the dreaded iodine tablets.The trail became very steep, even steeper. (looking at the map now, working out the gradient.) about 72 degrees. I was using my hands scambulling when two people were on an descent back down. The guy at the front.....'on a bit of a tough bit aren't you' 'sure am', breathing heavily. So tired with the weight of my backpack, maybe i could of got away with bringing less??? I'm still sure to this day i needed it all. Even the dream catcher strapped to the side :D Waiting for the time to pass for my water, Even though there was iodine in the water it still tasted very refreshing. I set up camp by the lake at the top. Amazing views, stunning. Nothing but mountains and trees as far as the eye can see. Opened my mushroom book and began studying the local mushrooms, crazily excited with the bolete section of the book I'd eaten these from the ild before but this had so much knowledge of habitat and many other useful information that other books don't include. Paster add water bolognese sauce and tomato pure for dinner, so hungry after reading about mushrooms. Great after a long days hike.
...........To be continued

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
100_0204-1.jpg
Canoe trip down the Delaware in NJ

100_0300.jpg
Me in the whites

100_0298.jpg
view first morning

100_0297.jpg
Lake at the top

100_0268.jpg
not very good pik of the spoon, i was hungry

100_0266.jpg

100_0276.jpg
Beaver Chew

100_0315.jpg
Black bear skat

100_0263-1.jpg
first morning in the whites

100_0278.jpg
second night

100_0306.jpg
Me with a view

100_0264.jpg
Bolete mushrooms

100_0275.jpg
Another lake

100_0195-1.jpg
Awesome VIEW!!!!!!!!!

100_0274.jpg

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Very cool Ste! I look forward to reading more of your trip. I like your picture of your first camp in the Whites. What is your backpack? What other equipment did you have on your backpacking trip. What other items did you eat for your meals? Are you returning to work at the camp next year?

Gordy

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
A number of days later... Walking down a mountain side it began to rain. I opened up my rucksack and pulled out my 5.11 tactical series, sigh, 'waterproof'. I had used the waterproof at camp and it really didn't work that well; after a 5 minute walk in a torrential downpour i could feel the cold water seeping in as i entered the laundry room that i was heading for. Maybe it just needs some waterproofing solution spraying on it? I purchased a bottle just before i set out for the trails and followed the instructions on the bottle making sure to use plenty. The rain really wasn't too bad. I proceeded and foraged from blueberry and blackberry bushes, i must of been dawdling along the trail for a good half hour doing this. The berries were just to good to miss! Fresh fruit cant be carried easily so it was such a boost. The rain began to subside after an hour and then completely stopped.
Two hours later the rain started again and gradually built up to a downpour. I spotted other people in the distance on the other side of the river that i was fallowing, it was about at this time when i felt the water seeping through again! :( To make matters worse, i was very confused with the map and the trail. It turns out 2 bridges had been removed; these weren't on the map, but also a trail that i was wanting to use had also been removed/abandoned. I had no choice but to set up my tarp in a grump and just wait it out. I chose to place my tarp on top of a flat mound so that the water would run away. I then dug trenches to get rid of pooling water. I was worried at this point about my wet jacket and consequently worried about how wet i was. I decided to get into my bivvi bag without my down sleeping bag or clothes until i dried, i ate loads of nuts and raisins to give myself energy. After about an hour i was reasonably dry, and surprisingly i wasn't cold. DAM, i don't want to put my bear bag up in this weather; unfortunately there is no choice if i want to remain safe from bears, defiantly the quickest I've ever put one up! I dried off again and got into my sleeping bag, I had a great nights sleep. :D
When i awoke the sun was out. I may have to cut my trip short due to my lack of waterproof jacket! :( (I'm currently in dispute with 5:11 as I've only had the jacket since May, i wouldn't recommend a 5:11 waterproof to anyone) Sitting in the sun, drying my wet clothes and equipment. I couldn't help but think of Ray Mears in his canoe with his saying 'when it rains you get wet, when it stops you dry'. I was so happy, if it hadn't of rained i really wouldn't be this happy. crazily happy! :D Everything just looked amazing; once again reminded that i was extremely lucky to be in the whites. I decided to continue my trip...... I took the time to bathe in the cool river and look at the map, i decided to head for coniferous woodland.... I wanted to build a shelter lashed together with pine roots.
I crossed the river where one of the bridges had been taken away; usually they don't have bridges in the whites to cross rivers, the trail leads straight threw them in most occasions. This one was deeper than any i'd crossed before, nearing the top of my thigh. I arrived at the site where i wanted to build my shelter and set up my tarp for the night. When i woke i had anther bath in the cold river :D very refreshing. The best thing you can do every morning. :) The weather was bliss i was on another natural high, but unfortunately i spotted some Mackerel clouds. It's said that these make ships lower their sails. Mackerel clouds basically mean that the weather is going to take a drastic turn between 12 -48 hours later.
I started my shelter, despite the clouds as i decided to wait the possible storm out when it hits. I had plenty of food and planned on gathering water from the rain on my tarp. I gathered the roots to attach a cross beam (For anyone who has seen the episode of Ray Mears in the Rockys, i was building a similar style shelter). The roots work very well, over time they dry and therefore contract meaning the lashings become very tight, much better than rope. I then gathered and sawed to length, logs to lean against the cross bar to create a lean to shelter. Not in a rush i decided to relax for the rest of the day and finish it some other time. i lowered my tarp as far down as possible and double checked for free standing trees or hazardous branches just in-case of the storm coming in the night. I then made a fire and cooked my food; there's something amazing about cooking on an open fire i think its ancestral, instinct. It's how i learnt to cook, cooking baked potatoes with my father on bonfire night as a child.
About 9 at night it began to rain..... This must be the storm.... it got worse and worse. I'd been foolish, no trench's to direct the water away. Luckily they were only needed at the front and i could do it from my sleeping bag. :D I used my pot, water bottle and a container that had nuts in it to gather water running off of my tarp. This was magic, i don't have to boil the water or use the horrid Iodine tablets. I wanted to take a photo, but unfortunately the camera wasn't working, i think it was in my pocket when it rained and became damaged, it only cost me £30 so it really didn't bother me at all. I was really happy all snug under my tarp and the rain not touching me............

To Be continued

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE