Tribal Wives

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
It was not as bad as I was expecting,it was ok actually.I cannot stand the BBC these days you see!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I watched this one this week. I remember Ole Dorrop was the guy Ray Mears stayed with in one of his series, I guess the BBC have a contract with this tribe or something.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I watched this one this week. I remember Ole Dorrop was the guy Ray Mears stayed with in one of his series, I guess the BBC have a contract with this tribe or something.

Im glad someone else recognised him. He looked older in ray's program; maybe the wives are making him young again.

Stu

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I watched part of one and they was talking about when they get there teeth knocked out when they are children, Shouldnt be allowed in this day and age

Yeah but then theres the argument that its 'a tribal thing'. You can't change it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was more worried about the female circumcision, which is infinately worse than what ole grandma made out.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think the problem is some people imagine it is like male circumcision (which I am also opposed to unless it is for medical reasons) But it isnt. it isnt skin thats cut away but the actual clitoris, some of the labia and in many cases, is also stitched up, so that when she marries it is provable she is a virgin. The stitching is done with no anesthetic and causes the girl to urinate a very slow drip.
some people like to say to these things "oh its cultural" but I dont think culture should be used to justify everything.

xylaria

Female genital mutilation is illegal in britain in any circumstances, and it is starting to die out in places where it is practiced, i was quite surprised the tribe being covered still practiced it. There is great variation in what is done, from scarring to hood to complete mutilation. I watched the program with my daughter, it did lead to very frank conversation on cultural practices.

Globally there is a lot more men that are circumcised, and there is great cultural variation in what deemed medically nessercery between doctors.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Female genital mutilation is illegal in britain in any circumstances, and it is starting to die out in places where it is practiced, i was quite surprised the tribe being covered still practiced it. There is great variation in what is done, from scarring to hood to complete mutilation. I watched the program with my daughter, it did lead to very frank conversation on cultural practices.

Globally there is a lot more men that are circumcised, and there is great cultural variation in what deemed medically nessercery between doctors.

I say if Nature have evolved things that way then unless there is a real need leave them bits alone - or rather whole ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I say if Nature have evolved things that way then unless there is a real need leave them bits alone - or rather whole ;)
Do you shave your head/face/legs? you evolved to have hair on your head/face/legs. there is no real need to shave, is there?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Do you shave your head/face/legs? you evolved to have hair on your head/face/legs. there is no real need to shave, is there?

No actually I don't and I let nature have her way with my head I also don't think that having a shave can be compared with a young girl having there labia and clitoris removed with a knife without anaesthetic of pain relief - can it?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
No actually I don't and I let nature have her way with my head I also don't think that having a shave can be compared with a young girl having there labia and clitoris removed with a knife without anaesthetic of pain relief - can it?

Per your quote, both are not how nature intended 'us' to be.
as for female circumcision, less than 10% of the operations are as extreme as the type mentioned by you. American women are paying thousands of dollars for what is ‘to all intent and purpose’ a female circumcision when they have a clitorodotomy to improve their sex life.
I do not agree with the practice of enforced circumcision of either sex. Do not forget in the USA it is automatically done to baby boys. (Sometimes against the will of the parents,) all in the name of making the boy ‘fit in’ with his peers.
However, I’m not going to leap on the bandwagon of ‘raging abhorrence’, without trying to fully understand the nature of the action.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I find it `ragingly abhorrent` that its done to boys in america. Like Matt said, these things evolved over millions of years, they are there for a reason. Also hair grows back, it doesnt compare to unconsented mutilation. A large percentage of americans are fundamentalist christian who dont believe in evolution, but even then their logic falls down. If you believe god made man, then why do we need to swiftly alter his work upon the birth of a baby?! What did he make a mistake with the foreskin or something?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I should mention I wasnt directing that last paragraph about americans at you , tadpole, i was just going off on a tangent there.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No mention of the other tribal "mutilations" - huge ear and lip plugs, facial scarring, tattooing, teeth filing, neck rings (as in "giraffe" necked women), penile piercing, lip, nose and lip piercing, bodily scarring, juvenile circumsizing........
It must be a cultural thing.....:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
No mention of the other tribal "mutilations" - huge ear and lip plugs, facial scarring, tattooing, teeth filing, neck rings (as in "giraffe" necked women), penile piercing, lip, nose and lip piercing, bodily scarring, juvenile circumsizing........
It must be a cultural thing.....:)
you see most of that Bristol on a Saturday Afternoon...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE