Your favourite explorer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
David Livingstone is among my ''greats'' for his achievements after such a humble start in life, he was born into poverty, so many of the ''greats'' came from a very privileged background, ''great'' things were expected from them and it's undeniable some achieved great things but for many people (even today) their financial constraints restrict their dreams (just paying the bills is sometimes a great achievement), not much is expected from a lad like Livingstone born into the poverty and grime of a mill town which for me makes his achievements the more remarkable.

Really? I hadnt known that. Yes finding time and money to follow your dreams when you have to work a terrible job that barely pays the bills is always going to set you back. Id like to read more about him.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I think that would be Willem Barentsz. A Dutch explorer who wanted to find the Northeast passage. He discovered Svalbard and Bear Island.
On the third voyage, while exploring Nova Zembla, the ship got stuck in the ice and they were forced to build a lodge on Nova Zembla, called Het Behouden Huys, to wait until the winter was over.
When I was a kid I read a book about it, and it was quite impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Barentsz

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Sir Henry Morton Stanley is worth a vote along with Ernest Shackleton and Lawrence Oates ( I Am Just Going Outside) the book of the same title by Smith, Michael is a good read.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley_Powell

Major John Wesley Powell. One armed explorer and Geographer/geologist. Fascinating man.

Or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Fadlan

Ibn Fadlan

Ibn Fadlan was an Arab chronicler. In 921 C.E., the Caliph of Baghdad sent Ibn Fadlan with an embassy to the King of the Bulgars of the Middle Volga. Ibn Fadlan wrote an account of his journeys with the embassy, called a Risala. This Risala is of great value as a history, although it is clear in some places that inaccuracies and Ibn Fadlan's own prejudices have slanted the account to some extent. You migh have heard of the name mentioned in "The 13th Warrior"

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Alexander Burnes (later Sir Alexander)

Navigated up the Indus River on the pretext of presenting four cart horses to the ruler of the Punjab whilst making secret maps along the way. He then carried on to Kabul and over the Hindu Kush.

Described as a heroic explorer by some and vain and arrogant by others, he enjoyed the company of various ladies on his triumphant return to London.....and enjoyed the company of Afghan ladies on his later posting to Kabul only to be hacked to death by their rather irate menfolk in the prelude to the First Afghan War!!!

I would love to go 'in the footsteps of...' but without the grisly ending.

Frederick Courtney Selous.DSO.
Born in 1850, he was a hunter of note in Africa mainly, Central and southern.
He was in the Matabele war of 1893 in then Rhodesia and saw service during the first world war in Tanzania where he was shot and killed by a German sniper in 1917.
Rider Hagard based his hero Alan Quartermain on Selous and also Wilbur Smith(writer) used Selous for a character in his books on Africa.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Sir Wally Herbert, who was denied recognition for too many years for waving the twin fingers of derision at the desk bound members of the Establishment.

Sir Ran, who is the best standup comedian going as well as an extraordinary explorer.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Understandably, but a bit sadly, the list is rather Anglo-centric and people like J. M. Stuart now claimed as Australian are in fact British.

To my mind, the truly great explorers, whether British or otherwise, are those who accomplished their deeds in pre-1800s. By the 1800s much of the world was known, and there was some chance of meeting a ship or another explorer.

When you are the only European ship in the Pacific Ocean e.g. Magellan or Cook that means a lot.

So a few Portuguese explorers like Dias(z) or Vasco da Gama are not mentioned

hobo

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2005
sheffield uk
Eric Shipton (1 August 1907 - 28 March 1977) was a distinguished British Himalayan mountaineer.

Born in Ceylon and educated in Britain, Shipton began climbing in the Alps. In 1928 he went to Kenya as a coffee grower, and first climbed Nelion, a peak of Mount Kenya in 1929. It was also in Kenya's community of Europeans that he met his future climbing partners Bill Tilman and Percy Wyn-Harris. Together with Wyn-Harris he climbed the twin peaks of Mount Kenya. With Frank Smythe, Shipton was amongst the first climbers to stand on the summit of Kamet, 7816 metres, in 1931, the highest peak climbed at that time. Shipton was involved with most of the Mount Everest expeditions during the 1930s and later, including Hugh Ruttledge's expeditions of 1933 and 1936, the 1935 Mt Everest expedition [1], and the pioneering 1951 expedition which chalked out the now famous route over the Khumbu Glacier. Shipton and Tilman also discovered the access route to the Nanda Devi sanctuary through the Rishi Ganga gorge in 1934. Their shoe-string budget expedition operated in the Kumaon-Garhwal mountains continuously from pre-monsoon to post-monsoon, and set a record for single-expedition achievement that has never been equalled.
Shipton's Arch is stunning

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But my list wasnt anglo centric.

That Haji goer and Maurice Wilson, though English enough, had decidedly non western outlooks.

Aside from Celia Fiennes, (a relative of sir Ran??) all the others were non english.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE