treating ropey guts in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yup, but nothing will escape!

Ever!! :eek:

:lmao: I just added cornflakes stains to the coffee ones that I sprayed over my monitor yesterday aughing at that reply. thanks!

Am I wrong in thinking that chalk does the same for bunging you up? Though the prospect of eating chalk doesn't have much appeal but I'd rather do that than have a coconut suppository.

Too right about keeping the fluids up. a 2% drop in your fluids can have dramatic effects, headaches for a start, I get migraines and I read that fluid loss headaches are much worse... though the coconut idea would be worserer

I'll be following this thread with interest too.

Hope you're feeling better now

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I seem to Remember many years ago an excellent programme where Lofty said that you can eat chalk for an upset somach to settle it down and then he said the stuff you get from the doctor tastes of mint, but all it is is crushed chalk with mint flavouring added to it. I know of a bloke who ate chalk when he was feeling a bit rough, it never did him any harm.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I seem to Remember many years ago an excellent programme where Lofty said that you can eat chalk for an upset somach to settle it down and then he said the stuff you get from the doctor tastes of mint, but all it is is crushed chalk with mint flavouring added to it. I know of a bloke who ate chalk when he was feeling a bit rough, it never did him any harm.

Aye, but have you ever tried chewing chalk? :)

It's bad enough chewing Rennies, but chalk (shudders), you should give it a try.

Cheers

Liam

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
The chalky stuff (maalox or rennie for instance) is for hart burn - your stomach acids going wild. Since chalk is a base it neutralizes the acid. I doubt it will help against stomachs being upset by other reasons.

John, can you elaborate on the tobacco? I smoke, but if I keep smoking when my stomach is upset, I am sure to upset it more.

Toddy: apples? When I eat apples on an empty stomach it gives me cramps. So why start with them?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The chalky stuff (maalox or rennie for instance) is for hart burn - your stomach acids going wild. Since chalk is a base it neutralizes the acid. I doubt it will help against stomachs being upset by other reasons.

John, can you elaborate on the tobacco? I smoke, but if I keep smoking when my stomach is upset, I am sure to upset it more.

Toddy: apples? When I eat apples on an empty stomach it gives me cramps. So why start with them?

Chew the baccy - swallow the juice...disgusting but it seems to work!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
1 stop eating for 24 hours as this just feeds the bugs
2 become obsessive about personal hygiene especially if in a group. Everyone points the finger at the dodgy kebab when they get the squits and nearly always it is actually not food poisoning but a dose of unpleasant bacteria you have picked up through dodgy hygiene.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
2 become obsessive about personal hygiene especially if in a group. Everyone points the finger at the dodgy kebab when they get the squits and nearly always it is actually not food poisoning but a dose of unpleasant bacteria you have picked up through dodgy hygiene.

Absolutely spot on.

P

Pcwizme

For me stage one is to take a piriton or 2 normally my dodgy belly is due to accidental ingestion of garlic.
After that, i let nature take its course making sure i keep hyrated with water with salt / sugar in it, or flat lemonade if at home.

I have to admit that having the squits in the woods is not at all fun, been there done that.

The first part of this is my family remedy for either end evacuating quicker than expected and it does work.
As for second part i work in care and am mildly OCD about hygeine as a result but yeah a lare amount of dodgy bellies are caused by poor hygeine.

fortunately i have recovered now which is a relief

John does chewing baccy really work? the few times i have accidentally chewed some that escaped from my roll up it tasted vile and gave me a belly ache.

cheers for the suggestions.
i will never be desperate enough to use coconut suppository ever :)
Sam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I agree about the chalk for acid. Tobacco I've never tried, adn the apples are very rich in pectin. Apple puree goes down soft and easy. It's a soft bulk in the guts after the rigours of the squits.

I also agree with the 24 hours no food, but you have to keep the liquids up. Even if it seems as though it's running right out of you, both ends sometimes, just keep sipping it.
The vast majority of babies ever born died before they were five years old because of dehydration. Plain water isn't the best, the salt +sugar stuff helps keep everything balanced while the body fights the biological war in your guts.

It's all too easy to spread infection around with poor hygiene, especially in a camp situation. If you have the buggit you caught it from someone/ something. Try not to keep it passing along.

The commercial immodium and the like work by kind of paralysing the gut for a little time ( really they just kind of slow down the muscular contractions of peristalsis ), I'm wondering if that's what the tobacco does too ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Dont know if anyone can answer this but its been bugging me for a while.

Why is it that you can get Mass produced drugs such as Aspirin so very cheaply yet Imodium is , what i consider ,relatively pricey per unit?

A pack of aspirin
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Medicine/Tesco_Aspirin_300mg_Tablets_16.html

A pack of Imodium
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=imodium&SortBy=3

Why is it so relatively high? Or am i just a frugal little bunny??

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
its probably cos aspirin has been around so long that any pharmaceutical company can make it in massive quantities cheap, i bet imodium has to be made under licence from the inventing company which costs money so bungs up the unit cost somewhat.

its probably cos aspirin has been around so long that any pharmaceutical company can make it in massive quantities cheap, i bet imodium has to be made under licence from the inventing company which costs money so bungs up the unit cost somewhat.

Think you are right there aspirin has been about for so long even if it was licensed it will have expired by now.
quite a lot of medicines have a licence for a certain amount of time to allow the developer to make back what they have spent develop it. once licence has expired it is a free for all for anyone who wants to make it.

Personally it is very rare that i use immodium, flights home from exotic climes or long journeys where a toilet stop every five minutes isn't practical.

some really helpful suggestions guys n gals
thanks muchly
Sam

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've found the best solution to the runs is a teaspoonful of Bisto gravy granuals. It doesn't actually cure the squiffs, but it thickens them up nicely!

cs_bisto.jpg
:D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've found the best solution to the runs is a teaspoonful of Bisto gravy granuals. It doesn't actually cure the squiffs, but it thickens them up nicely!

thats so wrong! LOL

one thing i also carry is packs of Resolve, they're a morning after the night before type thing, helps for headaches and sore stomachs as they contain paracetamol and bicarb
i am like a walking pharmacy when i'm out.

last weekend i know willow bark has Salicin in it and helps releave aches pains and fever. horridly bitter tho.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Aye, but have you ever tried chewing chalk? :)

It's bad enough chewing Rennies, but chalk (shudders), you should give it a try.

Cheers

Liam

Yes, I've tried it! The powder stuff you get is probably not as bad as you mix it in water and down the lot. Still, it is last ditch stuff, but picking bits of compacted chalk out of your teeth is not fun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE