treating ropey guts in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Evening all
firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section mods please move it to wher it belongs if it is.

the last 24hours have been rather unpleasent for me. without getting too graphic i have suffered from the galloping trots, to say it is the call of nature is an understatement more the primal scream of nature.

this brought me to thinking what would i have done in the wilds with this problem, sat at home with a toilet, dioralyte and immodium it is if uncomfortable for me not a major problem however were i to have been out and about or at the permission site it could have been much much worse.

anyone know of any ''bushy'' solutions for a case of delhi belly?

Sam

ps hopefully we can be mature and grown up about the subject?:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ever since I got "caught out" in Mexico about ten years ago I always carry a few diocalm tablets in my FAK.
Usually for me it's something dodgy I've eaten, probably a take away or iffy sandwhich, at least when I'm out in the sticks I'm cooking for myself so I don't really get the ten bob bits.

EDIT:

p.s. Never trust a f4rt !

Last edited:

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Wild strawberries, these berries are rich in vitamins A, K and C and in the minerals iron, calcium, potassium and sulfur, notes HarmonyHikes.com. They have been used throughout history for their numerous medicinal uses, including as treatment for stomach upset. All parts of the plant can be used, but use the roots for stomach problems, including diarrhoea.

1. Measure 1/2 cup of water, and pour it into a pot.

2. Measure 1 g of wild strawberry root, and add it to the pot.

3. Heat until boiling, and then pour the tea into a mug; cover it with a small plate. Allow the tea to steep for 30 minutes.

4. Drink two cups of wild strawberry root tea daily before meals to relieve stomach upset. You should be feeling better in a week or less.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5879578_use-wild-strawberries-stomach-upsets.html

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Evening all
firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section mods please move it to wher it belongs if it is.

the last 24hours have been rather unpleasent for me. without getting too graphic i have suffered from the galloping trots, to say it is the call of nature is an understatement more the primal scream of nature.

this brought me to thinking what would i have done in the wilds with this problem, sat at home with a toilet, dioralyte and immodium it is if uncomfortable for me not a major problem however were i to have been out and about or at the permission site it could have been much much worse.

anyone know of any ''bushy'' solutions for a case of delhi belly?

Sam

ps hopefully we can be mature and grown up about the subject?:)

I am allergic to certain food additives which have the same effect on me - not pleasant.

I tend to carry a few immodium tablets in my wallet - so should I ever get caught out I can stop it all in a few minutes.

that wild strawberry fix is amazing.

andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know about using the root, we use the leaves :cool:

Acorns, anything full of tannin works. So does stuff that bulks up the loose stuff. Psyllium (plantain) seeds, grapefruit or lemon seeds. Marshmallow roots.

Make sure you have a fair idea of what caused the trots first though, and keep the electrolyte balance up with the sugar/salt/baking soda and water mixture.
Best not eat anything for 24 hours and then go slow. Apples are good, so are bananas. Ginger helps and when it's all settled down be kind to your gut bacteria, and sort out some live yoghurt or the like.

cheers,
Toddy

If truly without any usable stuff in your mfa kit: charcoal to get your stomach at ease.

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK... water (since boullion, salt/sugar solutions are/should be in your mfa kit). Rest and give your body rest. Between 24-72 hours.

Depending on where you are. Ask locals. They know the local plants or medicine.

Mostly these hours are a lot longer then when you're having fun.

Good luck btw!

Grtz Johan

Wild strawberries, these berries are rich in vitamins A, K and C and in the minerals iron, calcium, potassium and sulfur, notes HarmonyHikes.com. They have been used throughout history for their numerous medicinal uses, including as treatment for stomach upset. All parts of the plant can be used, but use the roots for stomach problems, including diarrhoea.

1. Measure 1/2 cup of water, and pour it into a pot.

2. Measure 1 g of wild strawberry root, and add it to the pot.

3. Heat until boiling, and then pour the tea into a mug; cover it with a small plate. Allow the tea to steep for 30 minutes.

4. Drink two cups of wild strawberry root tea daily before meals to relieve stomach upset. You should be feeling better in a week or less.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5879578_use-wild-strawberries-stomach-upsets.html

Would we not normally get better in a week or under anyway Fred?
I have never had the ten bobs for more than 2 or three days, surely after much more than that you should see a Quack

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
must say this is a thread i'm going to watch, i have IBS and the slightest thing can set me off, needless to say i always carry immodium instants with me because well you never know right?

about the only thing i know is charcoal which soaks up anything bad in your system, also white ash mixed with water can ease an upset stomach and stop wind etc.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
if you get really torrential diarrohea dont just drink plain water as it will give you osmotic diarrohea as your gut flora and fauna have been stripped away and literally what goes in comes out. you need some sugar in it, or a sugary drink for you gut to 'work' on as it needs glucose to be able to absorb water.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I personally don't bung myself up if I get the squits, it is the bodies way of getting rid of something that isn't supposed to be in your system. I let nature take its' course and ensure I am hydrated and at most will eat soup. Sweet drinks are good to try and keep your energy up so sweet tea but I don't take milk at all in that case.

No doubt there are many natural plants you can use to help alleviate discomfort, but if you want to bung yourself up I'd suggest a coconut!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE