Any Alternatives in the UK - all the knives look the same

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

airborne09

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello ,
just for the record , and without any of what I say being taken out of context (please) , I prefer to buy from a UK maker but if they do not produce what I am after at a reasonable price then I will obviously look elsewhere as most people would . I also have nothing but praise for the quality of most British knife makers , I just prefer a different style to what mostly is on offer . In the past I used to make my own Scandi style knives and have a reasonable idea of what constitutes a quality knife from the forging process to the handle style and sheath making . I only wish one could ask a question without being shot down in flames , it creates much bad feeling dont you think ?

Lore

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland

Lots to choose from.......

Welcome to Sheffield Knives​

J. Adams Ltd (Sheffield Knives) is a family business which has been making good quality knives for six generations; we are the parent company for three other old established manufacturers F.E & J.R.Hopkinson Ltd, established 14 June 1944, John Nowill & Sons Ltd, whose corporate name was granted by the Cutlers Company of Hallamshire on 27 April 1700 A.D. and Austin McGillivray & Co.

If you have any specific requirements and cannot find the items you are looking for or if you have any difficulties using our ecommerce store then please call us on +44 (0) 114 272 3612 or Email Sheffield Knives.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not UK but Commonwealth: The Canadian Grohman-Russell knives may be ordered with stag and either SS or carbon from a delightful bird/trout knife, the classic up to a survival version.
Since I got a factory second one of these is my go to blade.

Pretty does everything I want. Food prep, small game (dozens of pheasant) and light wood fettling.

And is aesthetically pleasing

Other than that an opinel 7 as pocket - mostly where i might loose a fixed blade / don't carry a sack or big pockets. I don't like belt carry

airborne09

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Thanks again guys ,
Its like I said EdS , a small much cheaper knife and your Opinel 7 which you carry will do most light bushcraft work and as long as you use it within its parameters it would be ideal , horses for courses and everyone has their own preferences in knives . I have a thing about stag handled knives as I had a really good but cheap 6 1/2" (OAL) Sheffield made one when I was a boy and its what I used to skin my first rabbit with , I wish I still had it .
Thanks

marcoruhland

Apr 23, 2020
Germany
may be the reason for that ("all knives look the same") is that there is a "best" possible shape for a large universal buscraftknife in our vegetation zone (gb, northern europe or us /can etc.)
and if you look for the "best" premium steel ( m390, elmax, cpm-3v, s35vn, h1 or what other steel you might it is ) too from a custom knife maker than you have to pay the price - so there ar many people who pay exorbitant prices because they want not must - because a knife is a tool but more artwork as well for them

mr

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.