treating ropey guts in the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Yes, I've tried it! The powder stuff you get is probably not as bad as you mix it in water and down the lot. Still, it is last ditch stuff, but picking bits of compacted chalk out of your teeth is not fun!

You're not wrong there!! :lmao:

Liam

S

SleepyWeasel

I know codeine will slow your digestion down, but an old friend of mine recommended some flour mixed up as a paste will bung you up, I think he meant to take it oraly, not by any other route.

I do agree that if you have had a stomach bug then it might not be a good idea to bung yourself up as it's your body's way of purging the toxins out, but you have to make sure that you balance what's going out with what's going in. Water with some sugar and a pinch of salt should keep you rehydrated.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I've found the best solution to the runs is a teaspoonful of Bisto gravy granuals. It doesn't actually cure the squiffs, but it thickens them up nicely!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Chalk has the same effect, Kaolin and Morphine used to be a good stand-by the morph slowed it all down and the Kaolin (Chalk by any other name) stoppered you up!
:yuck:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Getting something to bung you up is important if you are going to be travelling by public transport and have the trots!
Bus drivers apreciate you not exploding while the bus is in motion!

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Fluids +++++ , avoid Immodium etc unless you have to travel.

If you have rice (after years roughing it in Asia this was always to hand) boil it up , no washing it, nice and sticky, bit of sugar and a little milk powder if you have it. Usually helps bind things up nicely.

If you are in the Tropics and you have diarrhoea with fever , blood and mucous you have dysentry. Unlikely to be ameobic but most travellers think it is and take metronidazole with no benefit, just make you feel sick. Far more likely bacilliary, and if its bad take a dose or 2 of ciprofloxacin 500mg.

Locky

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2010
South wales
Great thread, especilly as i am a big IBS sufferer. doctor told me generally an upset stomch can usually be irregular eating habits such as a busy lifestyle, so eating small and regular can cure the trots, also breakfast is a must, I used to say i didnt have enough time for brekky, but you soon start eating it. docs also said irregular eating for so long probably caused IBS as when you wake, your metabolism kicks in, and has nothing or little to digest until the stomach is next fed, thus creating gasses and excrement.
Biology lesson over for today, homework is breakfast.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
In british army ration packs you get two different types of biscuits. The ones in the green packet (biscuit greens as they are known) are like hobnobs and theyre good if you have diarrhoea. The other ones , in the purple packet (biscuit browns), are like fruit shorties and theyre good if you have consitaption. The idea being you eat a balance of them or adjust to how your feeling.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dads just had a dose of the D and V....

Its shocking how sick he got.

he took tonic water, (sips, not great gulps) and eventualy lucozade, tea and ginger beer.

no drugs at all.

Hes much better now

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
In british army ration packs you get two different types of biscuits. The ones in the green packet (biscuit greens as they are known)
"biscuit greens"?:bluThinki no...never heard them called that before
Biscuit brown or Biscuits AB is normal (plus the slang)

are like hobnobs and theyre good if you have diarrhoea.
"they are like hobnobs"?:eek:
:lmao:OK you've never tried them have you!!:lmao:try tastes like "chipboard" and you're getting closer!

The other ones , in the purple packet (biscuit browns),
again...no...."Biscuit fruit filled":rolleyes:

are like fruit shorties and theyre good if you have consitaption. The idea being you eat a balance of them or adjust to how your feeling.
"are like fruit shorties", "theyre good if you have consitaption":lmao::lmao::lmao:
no...:lmao: they aren't: :lmao::lmao::lmao:

you either have never tried them or you have a vivid imagination!:lmao:

:lmao::lmao:And Please, don't use army rations for any sort of medical treatment: or research :lmao::lmao:

that's made my day goodjob

It's true Biscuits brown were designed to "solidify" stools, to make life slightly easier for soldiers in the field, but Diarrhoea might be a symptom of something more serious and you should be getting fluids in to the patient not feeding them.

I doubt very much there is enough fiber in the fruit biscuits to make any difference!
as a side note most biscuits will "block you up" if you eat enough of them, you don't have to resort to army rations with iffy packing dates!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
In british army ration packs you get two different types of biscuits. The ones in the green packet (biscuit greens as they are known) are like hobnobs and theyre good if you have diarrhoea. The other ones , in the purple packet (biscuit browns), are like fruit shorties and theyre good if you have consitaption. The idea being you eat a balance of them or adjust to how your feeling.

BISCUIT GREEN? who knows them as that, certainly not troops biscuit brown, which are rubbish (or were, the new rat packs are far better and less er 'blocking' shall we say)

MI5_Dog

Mar 5, 2010
Perth
I'll be watching this thread with interest as I have Crohn's disease and don't feel like letting me stop me from getting out and enjoying myself in the bush.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I recall peppermint tea being a daily bowel soother.
Trying to thin k of the original plant form of Immodium which I think, dim memory, is synthetic. I think it maybe to do with pepper plants.
However, peppermint tea is good for IBS and squirts.
All the advice about hydration, salts and sugars is good.
Had a lady who purged herself every day and had to have daily potassium bloods done so we could tell if a heart attack was likely.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Do they do "biscuits, pink" and "biscuits, yellow" then? I prefer to call them "biscuits, disposable" or "biscuits, give them to the Padre to re-roof the church with"!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE