Traditional Butcher Display

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A Suffolk butcher has stopped displaying his traditional window display of game and meat because of local objections and threats (despicably anonymous threats as per usual in such cases). What on earth has happened to English society, people are now so pathetically sensitive to reality and seem to want to live in a world of pretence and wilfull blindness, yes actually those neat rows of plastic wrapped meat in polystyrene trays that they would prefer to see really were animals. I have no objection to the genuine vegetarian whatsoever but have great objection to dictator-style attempts of force. When I was young such displays were commonplace and even eels were sold live in fishmongers and I personally love to see such displays, but back then people accepted that a rabbit actually did have fur and a chicken really did have feathers. I suspect those objectors are more concerned about the décor of the restaurant they eat in than how the meal was supplied. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stop-displaying-meat-game-townies-object.html

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It does look like an ideal 'Daily Mail' story. :)

The markets here (Hungary) remind me shopping with my mum in the sixties (in Scotland), butcher shops have half pigs hanging in the windows, boxes of pig trotters, sawdust on the floor etc. :)

This is my butchers website.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have to look away when our butcher is doing plying his trade, the way he works a knife and bandsaw makes me cringe:yikes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I like a traditional display. When I lived in Dumfriesshire the local butcher was wonderful. Ever bit of meat going in had ribbons and rosettes and was hung properly. The father and son looked like something from Thomas the tank engine - round bodies and heads. Fresh sawdust every day and beautifully concave wooden chopping blocks. Spotlessly clean and a great smell.
For a long time when working in forestry I didn't really buy meat; it was all either shot/captured by myself and butchered by me or traded with other folk.
Had some lovely 12 month old lamb from a local farmer the other week. Really good taste; almost like mutton - which is so hard to get these days and a great pity.
I feel like some of you others that folk are becoming divorced from what food is, so folk like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall get top marks from me for trying to educate the public again. I think that we should be at least prepared to kill it if we're going to eat it.
Meat was a treat when I was a kid. A special thing that you had in small amounts and relished. Now most non vegetarians eat meat every day. Whereas something like a roast chicken was a Sunday treat and did a few meals, sandwiches and soup at least. The stock pot was always on the go. It's a cheaper and healthier way to like. (Which might do folk a bit of good in the long term). Also shot meat is free range and treated with respect. Having done a short spell in an abattoir I feel that it's better for the animal to hunt.

Haggis

Nomad
No-one told me meat came from animals!!!!!!!! Thats disgusting.

Great line that. :)

Some time ago a well meaning lady expressed a great dissatisfaction with me on learning that I hunted for meat. One or her remarks stood above all the rest; "Why do you have to kill animals? Why can't you just buy the meat they make at the grocery store?"

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great line that. :)

Some time ago a well meaning lady expressed a great dissatisfaction with me on learning that I hunted for meat. One or her remarks stood above all the rest; "Why do you have to kill animals? Why can't you just buy the meat they make at the grocery store?"

Wont be long before that will be the case. Lab grown protein burgers!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm vegetarian, and though the boys referred to the meat aisles in the supermarket as the Dead Stuff, they grew up knowing the reality that meat comes from living creatures. If you want to eat it, have the decency to either kill it cleanly yourself or pay someone to do it properly.
Like Sandbender and Goatboy, memories of The Butchers were of clean, cold shops, full of fresh air and the smell of sawdust.
None of the plastic wrapped waste of the present.
The only bit that turned by stomach was tripe :yuck: I know some folks really like it, but the look of it utterly revolts me.

I think folks complaining about a traditional butcher's display need a reality check.

M

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
The only bit that turned by stomach was tripe :yuck: I know some folks really like it, but the look of it utterly revolts me.

M

The texture, the feel in your mouth, the smell of it cooking, none of it is a pleasant experience. There is a Hungarian recipe involving cooking it for 3 days with about 20 changes of water and finished off with plenty of garlic, onion and a rich, strong paprika sauce. Makes it almost palatable, almost.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Oh I like a traditional display. When I lived in Dumfriesshire the local butcher was wonderful. Ever bit of meat going in had ribbons and rosettes and was hung properly. The father and son looked like something from Thomas the tank engine - round bodies and heads. Fresh sawdust every day and beautifully concave wooden chopping blocks. Spotlessly clean and a great smell.
For a long time when working in forestry I didn't really buy meat; it was all either shot/captured by myself and butchered by me or traded with other folk.
Had some lovely 12 month old lamb from a local farmer the other week. Really good taste; almost like mutton - which is so hard to get these days and a great pity.
I feel like some of you others that folk are becoming divorced from what food is, so folk like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall get top marks from me for trying to educate the public again. I think that we should be at least prepared to kill it if we're going to eat it.
Meat was a treat when I was a kid. A special thing that you had in small amounts and relished. Now most non vegetarians eat meat every day. Whereas something like a roast chicken was a Sunday treat and did a few meals, sandwiches and soup at least. The stock pot was always on the go. It's a cheaper and healthier way to like. (Which might do folk a bit of good in the long term). Also shot meat is free range and treated with respect. Having done a short spell in an abattoir I feel that it's better for the animal to hunt.

that's a nice post, thankyou.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I agree about the idiotic "PC" world we seem to be forced to live in. I live with a man (Hubby) whose innards won't let him eat any animal products, including milk and cheese and eggs - he turns into a pumkin :rolleyes: !!! - but he has no objection to the game, wild and well farmed meat that I eat. He does object to the rubbish (animal and vegetable) produced by industrial farming methods, as do I! I like butchers' displays, I like to see the meat I'm going to eat uncoloured, with no added water and not in plastic. I also like my veg with the earth on as I'm happy with my rabbit with the fur on (to quote Joyce Grenfell :D)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think that most folks viewing this thread will appreciate this short video from Farmrun...

[video=youtube;UcqQtVuNOFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcqQtVuNOFI[/video]

Enjoy :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats in the town that I grew up in... in some ways it does not surprise me.....

One of my youngest daughters friends did not even know that food was brought from a shop... as her mum used to buy food on line and she was at school during the delivery... she thought the fridge made the food.... at that time she was only six'ish

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
20 years ago I worked for a national chain of butchers and we were not allowed to do proper displays incase we upset to locals, so it isnt a new thing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE