Too Much Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
For a days walk I have never taken an axe with me. Exception: once I wanted to try out a newly bought axe, but then the whole point of going to the nearest forest was to try out the axe.

I seldom carry more than one knife, and usually it's a mora of somekind. Saw I save for the lovely winter.

Talking day trips my basic equipment is map and compass, a fire steel, reinforcement clothing and a mora. And usually some food. In the summer and spring food usually means some bread with fillings and a thermos for coffe. In the colder months I usually have a pot and a pan if I plan to cook. I love cooking, even outdoors, so I try to cook at most outings, although it's a lot faster to push a sandwich and a cuppa down the hatch. I don't really see how I could reduce this load? :confused:

I like to walk, and a day trip usually means 15-25 kms

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Hello All and Happy New Year,

I noticed that there is a lot of kit threads on here :D I think this is really grand as it means you get real world advice from people whoo have really used it. However I wonder if we, for I may well be as guilty as others, take too much kit into the woods. When I go for a wander, ie out for a day, I will fit it all into my pockets or a small bum bag, and carrrying an axe or whatever in my hands normally. I see lots of threads on here with people going into the woods, and I dont mean really "wilderness" places, for a brew carring a 35ltr sack, with a saw, axe maybe two knives. Does nobody else thing that its a bit much, plus all the other non sharp bits and bobs? Its not that im getting at people who carry lots im more intrigued why? I use dead wood to fuel a fire, i rarely split wood if im just making a brew, so why an axe? I can see for cutting a nice stick or whatever but thats normally achievable with a good knife, in my experiance any way. I folding saw i can under stand, and I a folding saw i get if your not taking an axe.

So really just Why so much kit??

Sam

Blasphemy!!!!!:eek:
What next? Am I to limit myself to 1 fishing rod in my fishing boat( instead of 2-4 )? Only bring 1 rifle when hunting ( no shot gun or back up rifle.)???? Too much Kit is too much fun..unless you aren't using a combustible engine, or a Sherpa, then you HAVE to go lite.( but I will still have 3-4 sharps. heh heh )

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No such thing as too much kit...just too little time to play with it all/to little fitness to carry it all.....
I take the maximum I can, for the trip in hand, which will not exhaust me too much!
Mind you on long trips that can mean paring the kit down, counting grams and shaving the sawn off handle of my tothbrush down to a transparent thickness!

As they say .... travel light - travel far
but also....any fool can be uncomfortable!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like to change what I carry depending on circumstances. Right now (-30 C and a bit of snow) I go out for exercise skiing with only matches and a knife as "extras" to what is needed (the durn moose trample the tracks pretty badly since it is easier going than the loose snow, btw), but for a day out hunting grouse or capercailie I also carry a day-pack with parka, spare socks, axe, billy, poncho and reindeer hide, FAK, extra clothes as neede, etc: if something happes and I need to spend the night that kit can make it a non-issue rather than an emergency.

In summer I don't even really need the knife for the first week or so, even if comfort directs a bit more. When it comes to "in case I need/want it" kit I like to think about how much more work/complexity there would be if I did not have it, and balance that against the work of carrying it. Which far too often means that axe, billy and FAK comes long, while binoculars, camera and rainwear end up staying home.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Some people spend a lot of coin on new toys so carting them out on a day walk is just a chance to play.

In the winter my day walk kit is well over the top really, Primus Omnifuel, pan, kettle, brew kit and some food to cook when in reality I could take a thermos and sandwiches.

In the summer my kit is different, simple things like a half bottle of wine, tin of pate, cheese, crusty bread, fresh fruit.

I don't bother with fires on a day walk so don't need an axe or saw.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Some people spend a lot of coin on new toys so carting them out on a day walk is just a chance to play.

In the winter my day walk kit is well over the top really, Primus Omnifuel, pan, kettle, brew kit and some food to cook when in reality I could take a thermos and sandwiches.

In the summer my kit is different, simple things like a half bottle of wine, tin of pate, cheese, crusty bread, fresh fruit.

I don't bother with fires on a day walk so don't need an axe or saw.

During the summer, can we swap lunches? I take a P&B sandwich and some gorp!:lmao:
but I get to keep my venison Jerky.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Some times I take as little kit as possible e.g. a knife and a fire steel just to challenge myself and practise basic bushcraft skills, BUT mostly I take more kit than I need because I like to 'play' with it. Just being honest!

PREPER........ :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Every one on this forum uses more kit than they need.

Bushcrafting is a hobby. Its not a higher purpose, religion, truth seeking or the new way.

Its an idle way of passing time that we enjoy.

It has no greater value than stamp collecting or trainspotting.

Therefor the total amount of kit that you, I or almost any "hobby" bushcrafter needs is....none.

After that, how much you buy depends on your purse and your interest. Theres no right amount or wrong amount and anyone who thinks they are far "bushcraftier" than the next guy is rather like one of the two fleas arguing over who owns the dog. Pointless.

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have to agree with Red on this. As far as i see it, this is one of the few uncompetitive activities around, it is purely perspective as to what the subject matter is, what the contents are and ultimately what the end result is.

I personally don't wish to experience the 'Survive in what you're standing in' situation as I feel that my primary outcome is enjoyment, which generally entails comfort. However I used to climb mountains the harder ways and I fully understand the ofset thrill of reflection.

There really really is no aspect of our world, that I can see, where : 'One size fits all' will ever, ever, ever, be right.

As long as people are happy does it really matter? Live and let live and for Gods sake lets not start to think we know best.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I have to agree with Red on this. As far as i see it, this is one of the few uncompetitive activities around, it is purely perspective as to what the subject matter is, what the contents are and ultimately what the end result is.

I personally don't wish to experience the 'Survive in what you're standing in' situation as I feel that my primary outcome is enjoyment, which generally entails comfort. However I used to climb mountains the harder ways and I fully understand the ofset thrill of reflection.

There really really is no aspect of our world, that I can see, where : 'One size fits all' will ever, ever, ever, be right.

As long as people are happy does it really matter? Live and let live and for Gods sake lets not start to think we know best.

Perfectly stated! Except don't let the Government know about this joy, or they will find a way to tax it!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I always take too much kit, I'm of the opinion that if you dint have it yer need it!

Saying that, a walk in the woods usually consists of a couple of plastic bags for interesting things like pine cones, pine sap ect... I'll carry a s.a.k, penknife or a multi tool and a bottle of water.

If we are going on an extended walk to somewhere I don't know then I'll take a blanket, folding saw and a tarp.

I always have a ferro/striker + sak on me (it's on my keys :))

I'm tempted to add a folding trowel as well...

Toddy's stuff is gorgeous! I love seeing what she has - major kit envy :)

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Come on who has filled there car this week with bush kit just in case they get stuck in the snow. Guilty. but it has impressed a couple of colleages when the kelly kettle produces a almost instant cup of hot stuff. ps trying to carry less kit as got to much round the middle after xmas. I like to carry just knife, fireflash, saw and metal mug at the mo. hope your all enjoying the snow.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
Its not the bushcraft kit that weighs me down but the case of Stella plus other drinks. The benefit of a 1000m approx foot insertion. Have thought of swiching to Whiskey in a plastic bottle though.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Come on who has filled there car this week with bush kit just in case they get stuck in the snow. Guilty. but it has impressed a couple of colleages when the kelly kettle produces a almost instant cup of hot stuff. ps trying to carry less kit as got to much round the middle after xmas. I like to carry just knife, fireflash, saw and metal mug at the mo. hope your all enjoying the snow.

Yes,well (cough),

Guess whose jerry can and bottles were frozen solid when he tried for a cuppa yesterday.:eek:

:goodnight:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

If stuck in your car in snow you would get out and flaff around with a Kelly Kettle? Sod that, pack a stove of some kind, open the car window a little and cook hot food and drink (in a safe manner of course).

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
I keep track of the stuff I take on trips and outings and whether it gets used or not. The first aid kit is always going and the snakebite kit when it's appropriate, and I don't care if I never have to use either of them. I'm also willing to take along one too many layers of insulation and raingear when no rain is forecast (having done both the other way). Willing to take along one extra day's food and a liter more water than I actually consume. But just about everything else that doesn't get used stays home next time and until I look for it and it isn't along. Perfection is when I'm completely comfortable, able to do whatever I need to do, and carry nothing extraneous.

Now, the stack of kit back home in the quartermaster's room, that's another matter. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE