Too Much Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Hello All and Happy New Year,

I noticed that there is a lot of kit threads on here :D I think this is really grand as it means you get real world advice from people whoo have really used it. However I wonder if we, for I may well be as guilty as others, take too much kit into the woods. When I go for a wander, ie out for a day, I will fit it all into my pockets or a small bum bag, and carrrying an axe or whatever in my hands normally. I see lots of threads on here with people going into the woods, and I dont mean really "wilderness" places, for a brew carring a 35ltr sack, with a saw, axe maybe two knives. Does nobody else thing that its a bit much, plus all the other non sharp bits and bobs? Its not that im getting at people who carry lots im more intrigued why? I use dead wood to fuel a fire, i rarely split wood if im just making a brew, so why an axe? I can see for cutting a nice stick or whatever but thats normally achievable with a good knife, in my experiance any way. I folding saw i can under stand, and I a folding saw i get if your not taking an axe.

So really just Why so much kit??

Sam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I started writing kit lists for trips a few years ago and would mark off the things I didn't use when I got home. I'm pretty confident I've got it down to the minimum now but I think bushcraft camping is more about being comfortable in your surroundings anyway. Since I got my canoe I tend to throw too much in the car, the same with meets too I suppose. If I'm tramping though I can get it down to a sensible weight, it's the bulk that's the issue for me though when I'm hammocking in winter.
Day trip kit for me is usually a kelly kettle, brew kit & cup, knife and probably a pair of binos and the camera, sometimes a book as well if I'm trying to ID something.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
not possible cos for diffrent reasons and enviroments you need diffrent things

but yes i agree it is possible to have to much on a perticular trip unless your car camping cos then its all about luxuary

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:pokenest: :D :D

I *hate* carrying a heavy pack. I go as light as I can, usually that's fine, but, y'know there are times I wish I'd taken extra, or something else, or thought a little harder before I left.......

Meets ? Oh yes, everything including the kitchen sink :D But a lot of that's because we can, and we usually end up passing stuff around for a looksee too :cool:

Horses for courses. Take what you're comfortable lugging along.

cheers,
Toddy

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Nobody has told me why you need an axe to make a cup of tea yet though :D :p Drew, Im talking about walking in pretty bog standard places, not the wilde wildes. And im really not trying to annoy anyone, nor judging you or owt, Im just interested.

Sam

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Sam, i dont think you are annoying anyone, i think you have a really valid point about too much kit, and we are all guilty of it at one point or another in our travels.

I agree with Rich in that i too have started to get better using kit lists, but no one is born perfect at things and it is maybe just part of the journey learning from previous mistakes about taking to much kit.

When i first started camping back 15 years ago, i look back and laugh, i used to drive up to a bay up Loch Awe way and pitch my tent 20 yards from the car, yet it would still take me best part of 45 minutes, back and forth with what seemed like dozens of bags of crap, that at the time seemed so important. Its only with getting out there and seeing whats important and whats not, that we learn how to tread lightly on the planet.....

Colin

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nobody has told me why you need an axe to make a cup of tea yet though :D :p Drew, Im talking about walking in pretty bog standard places, not the wilde wildes. And im really not trying to annoy anyone, nor judging you or owt, Im just interested.

Sam

I don't drink tea or coffee but still enjoy the ritual when I'm camping with folk who do. Out comes the wee stove - or the big stove - or the kelly kettle(fantastic devices, might take up drinking tea just to justify one). Decisions made about what to burn if it's a wee fire or hobo or the likes. The whole firelighting event. The creation of the fix and the warm afterglow of consumption.
Looks like a gas.
The folk I've been around who've had axes in their brew kit just like playing with axes so it'd become an acceptable part of the ritual. Others carry prepared kinding which has doubtless seen the pointy end of an axe too.
There is in my mind a direct correlation between caffienne consumption and axe usage. It's shocking.:eek:

And while we're on the subject I'd like to to say that come the eotwawki none of you lot better come rampaging round my bunker because it's a caffeine free zone so there'll be nothing worth fighting over.;)

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I only really take a hatchet if I think I will use it. Most times are just, basic brew kit, saw, sitmat, knife usualy just a small pocket one, and poncho. Rest of the space is for camera, video stuff depending.

Only take an axe if I feel I will meet an unruly tree in my path:banghead:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Boys (and girls) and their toys...

'Cos it's fun to play with shinies and sharps just for the hell of it really,Sam.:D

An axe really helps carve out the basic shape of a kuksa e.g.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I agree I am guilty of taking too much stuff but it is rare that I get out so when I do,I like to take out a few diff things to have a play.
I wouldn't worry to much about what others are taking unless of course they ask you to carry it!
I think as mentioned that if you dont use something enough times then it should stay at home ( at least for while.)
Dave

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I love kit!,its my vice!
I try to only take what i need with me mind,but I love it!
( using it is my hobby,but just playing with it is nice! )
C da C.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
I supose so Barn Owl, im looking at getting a Leukku atm, just to keep in my rucksack, and because I too like the shiny shiny things :D. I lve to take my axe out I must admit, its a wonderful tool to use and i wouldnt be without it

Sam

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
You've got a valid point Sam, but I think that those of us who carry an axe on a day walk ( for the record, I usually don't, but sometimes I'll take one just for the pleasure of using it ) mostly do it because we don't have have outdoor jobs, resulting in very little opportunity to use them. I think that for many, it's a chance to maintain familiarity with an essential tool that may be used on longer trips.

Cheers, Michael.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Its 50% cub scout mentality; what if you saw a chunk of wood that would make something nice and you're caught without a tool, or something jitty happens and you need one.

And 50% guilty pleasure, and when so much of the world is so infuriating why not have one.

Buying outdoors things is the only thing i enjoy, cos 9.8 times out of 10 you're buying off some crafts-person, for a tool you're going to use, and one thats been made in a with an eye to conservation.

Rather than shelling out money to some greasy conglomerate and all the awful things that leads to...

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ooooooooooooooooooo..........!!!!!!

:pokenest:

LOL.....

A really good question Sam.

Personal choice is a good answer, as is the fact folk like to have their 'toys' around them. I think another reason is for the most part folk aren't heading off 30K into the Ulu in the UK to bushcraft so having a bergen full of kit is not a problem if your walk in is short. Everyone suffers from SKS ( shiny kit syndrome) I have a quite acute case which SWMBO is curing with a course of fund restriction and a regime of eye rolling and sharp intakes of breath.

Cheers

John

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
All good points, thanks for your opinions, they certainly add a differnt way of looking at it. Kind of if youve got it why not use it whenever....

Food for thought indeed

Sam

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Well I've not long finished packing up the kit for camping tomorrow night and sat night up Aberfeldy way somewhere...don't know exactly where yet...just want to make the most of this extreme weather we're getting...meant to be -20 up that way at night over the next couple of days

As usual I made my list keeping it as short as possible but when I get to actually putting the stuff into the back of the cab I keep thinking..well what if? so out goes the list and all the usual stuff comes out.

I too have discarded bits I've not used on previous trips but they always seem to sneak there way back in there. For me it's all down to space...if it's minimal then I can do it but if I've got the space then why not take all the luxuries.

I don't think there are any rules or accurate lists of what to take. There are however essentials that I feel must be taken when out...but again that depends if your on a day outing or an over night trip and what you take on an overnight trip would be the same for a weeks trip apart from more food and water.

Vince

Nov 16, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
I've been lugging too much stuff around since I was old enough to pack my own bags for school, holidays(*) etc, so it's as much habit as anything for me!

(* and it is stuff - it makes a lot more sense to me to have a variety of books to read, for example, than it does to have a variety of outfits to choose from)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE