To tarp or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg598

Native
If you are switching to a tarp to save weight, don't bother. When you include the tarp, bivi, ropes, etc, you will see that there are tents out there that weigh as much or less than the tarp set up. The reason why I use a tarp is that it is a different experience. You are much more "in the woods" than with a tent. Also, if you have a long day of rain, it is much better to spend it under a tarp than in a tent-a lot more room to do things. That being said, you do have to put up with the insects, dirt, and all the other fun things that come along with being on bare ground.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
If you are switching to a tarp to save weight, don't bother. When you include the tarp, bivi, ropes, etc, you will see that there are tents out there that weigh as much or less than the tarp set up. The reason why I use a tarp is that it is a different experience. You are much more "in the woods" than with a tent. Also, if you have a long day of rain, it is much better to spend it under a tarp than in a tent-a lot more room to do things. That being said, you do have to put up with the insects, dirt, and all the other fun things that come along with being on bare ground.

I think this probably sums it up and gives me an idea of the attraction of a tarp.

Jim

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a beach shelter with door.

keeps out insects, light (no idea how light tho) pitches in 5 mins, cheap as chips and you may sit up in it.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Thank you for all the advice. Definitely decided on the tarp and bivi route for my next purchase actually I've now got a DD tarp on order along with one of the alpkit hunka bivis.

I might see if I can sell my TNF Tadpole and get a MSR Hubba HP for up in Scotland though :), it's only after seeing the pictures on this site that made me lust after one! Alas, this site is dangerous!

I have the same mix - DD Tarp and Alpkit Bivi so I'd like to hear how you get on.

The really light tents are usually fairly expensive compared to the cost of a tarp/bivi but I'd agree about it being nice to not wake up with spiders crawling over your face,

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I have the same mix - DD Tarp and Alpkit Bivi so I'd like to hear how you get on.

The really light tents are usually fairly expensive compared to the cost of a tarp/bivi but I'd agree about it being nice to not wake up with spiders crawling over your face,

I don't have a DD tarp, only my own home made one, but have used it a few times along with the Alpkit Hunka bivi bag, no problems at all, left the sleeping bag in the bivi rolled out all day, sometime by the time I came to hit the hay, there was lots of dew / condensation on the top of the bag, but inside was bone dry. Woke up in the mornings dry too, so no complaints here. Haven't used it during colder days though, but I suspect it will be fine judging by other peoples comments on the Alpkit site, and here.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I don't have a DD tarp, only my own home made one, but have used it a few times along with the Alpkit Hunka bivi bag, no problems at all, left the sleeping bag in the bivi rolled out all day, sometime by the time I came to hit the hay, there was lots of dew / condensation on the top of the bag, but inside was bone dry. Woke up in the mornings dry too, so no complaints here. Haven't used it during colder days though, but I suspect it will be fine judging by other peoples comments on the Alpkit site, and here.

Was the hunka not super warm since it has no zip? I thought that the mummy bag inside the bivi would be boiling.

Nov 20, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Thank you again for all the advice, I'm looking forward to my tarp and bivi arriving and will report back with how I get on when I next make it outdoors.

It appears from my rather novice perspective that a tarp and bivi although may not be lighter than an ultralight tent, can be a far better tool for the job than a tent. Particularly if you know what you are doing... which implies a good knowledge of knots, tarp configurations and general knowledge (like where to hide from midges!).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Was the hunka not super warm since it has no zip? I thought that the mummy bag inside the bivi would be boiling.

No, not at all. Although my sleeping bag isn't super great anyway, it's a Gelert, supposedly rated down to -5 for comfort, but as we all know ratings are very much to be taken with a pinch of salt and depends on the individual. I've used it at -3 and been okay. During the hot weather at the Ayrshire meet, it was fine, a little chilly on the second night due to the wind, but not super warm at all.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I think the Tarp v Tent question depends a lot on which tarp v which tent, and also on the type of terrain and weather. I have used different tents and different tarps, and to some extent it's horses for courses. The lightweight single person tents available at the lower price ranges do tend to be a bit cramped inside, if they are bigger they tend to be a lot heavier or else very expensive. The Hilleberg Akto seems to be well regarded and have a fair bit of room, but you pay for it!

The main advantage of the tent over the tarp is the fact that you can pitch virtually anywhere and have somewhere dry for the night, free from bugs. The main advantages of the tarp are flexibility, and extra space for a given weight. The downside is that you have to be a lot more careful about where and how you pitch!

I went up to Knoydart in the spring with some friends who borrowed my Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. They like the idea of being able to seal themselves off from the weather (which was wet and wild), and the Nallo has a huge porch. Weight is 2.6 kg, or 1.3 kg each. I, on the other hand prefer to get the full on open air experience, so I took a 2.5x3m Kathmandu tarp. I had previously used a 1.8x2.5m army one, but felt a little bit exposed up on the mountains. The weight of my setup was 595g for the tarp, plus 450g for two carbon fibre walking poles, plus 300g for a homemade bathtub groundsheet, plus about 80g worth of pegs, total 1425g. However, I also carry a full length midge net (not used this time as it was too early for midges) which adds another 160g, so I ended up carrying more weight than my friends. I don't possess a bivvy bag.

In terms of the experience on the hill, I was fine in my tarp in some pretty nasty weather, but it did require a lot of careful planning to make sure that I had judged the wind direction right, and picked the right spot to pitch, and the tarp took a good deal longer to pitch than my Hilleberg. On the plus side, I got to experience the mountains, while my friends were sealed inside a nylon environment, and I had a lot more room to spread out and relax.

RIMG0276.jpg

This shows the tarp and tent up at 800m.

RIMG0346.jpg

Pitched rear on to a stiff onshore breeze. It hammered down during the night!

RIMG0343.jpg

Loads of room inside.

RIMG0369.jpg

A different pitch in the woods, where there was more shelter.

If you are careful and your tarp is big enough, you can cope without a bivvy bag, but if a smaller tarp is used in the hills away from tree cover, a bivvy is probably a good idea. As for midges, I always head to Scotland before the midge season starts! If you go later in the year, choose a breezy spot and take protection, i.e. midge net, citronella candles and repellant, and get that fire lit...

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I think the Tarp v Tent question depends a lot on which tarp v which tent, and also on the type of terrain and weather. I have used different tents and different tarps, and to some extent it's horses for courses. The lightweight single person tents available at the lower price ranges do tend to be a bit cramped inside, if they are bigger they tend to be a lot heavier or else very expensive. The Hilleberg Akto seems to be well regarded and have a fair bit of room, but you pay for it!

The main advantage of the tent over the tarp is the fact that you can pitch virtually anywhere and have somewhere dry for the night, free from bugs. The main advantages of the tarp are flexibility, and extra space for a given weight. The downside is that you have to be a lot more careful about where and how you pitch!

I went up to Knoydart in the spring with some friends who borrowed my Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. They like the idea of being able to seal themselves off from the weather (which was wet and wild), and the Nallo has a huge porch. Weight is 2.6 kg, or 1.3 kg each. I, on the other hand prefer to get the full on open air experience, so I took a 2.5x3m Kathmandu tarp. I had previously used a 1.8x2.5m army one, but felt a little bit exposed up on the mountains. The weight of my setup was 595g for the tarp, plus 450g for two carbon fibre walking poles, plus 300g for a homemade bathtub groundsheet, plus about 80g worth of pegs, total 1425g. However, I also carry a full length midge net (not used this time as it was too early for midges) which adds another 160g, so I ended up carrying more weight than my friends. I don't possess a bivvy bag.

In terms of the experience on the hill, I was fine in my tarp in some pretty nasty weather, but it did require a lot of careful planning to make sure that I had judged the wind direction right, and picked the right spot to pitch, and the tarp took a good deal longer to pitch than my Hilleberg. On the plus side, I got to experience the mountains, while my friends were sealed inside a nylon environment, and I had a lot more room to spread out and relax.

This is very interesting but if it was me I'd be taking the walking poles anyway for walking so it would work out lighter but it also means you could have a hunka at 388g still for a comparable weight. Once you have tarp+bivi I think you're laughing in most conditions. That said, you are comparing your weight to half a tent and obv you couldn't take only part of a tent - it should really be compared to a one man tent and thats where the price issue comes in. Decent one mans are pretty expensive compared to a tarp/bivi combo... (I'm not being picky, just an observation and I realise you said this anyway. Plus since I've not had a night in bivying conditions in a while I should maybe bow to experience :D)

I am curious how you made a bathtub groundsheet from the bathtub of an old tent. Did you just cut it away?

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Using a tarp configuration like on pics above I don't think a bivi is really needed. I use a 1.8x3m tarp and a space blanket. The space blanket is large enough to raise it on a side (or even on two) if needed to cut splash effect and wind. I can also use my poncho if I want to close the high side.

Overall I think a tarp leverages better other equipment and allow a global weight saving.

EDIT: I use a synthetic sleeping bag. Down users might be more cautious.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Johnno, the bathtub groundsheet was actually made from an army surplus IPK kit. It cost me £5, which gets you a sheet of stiff very strong waterproof material, some cord and aluminium stakes. The material can be cut with scissors without having to seal or hem the edge, as it doesn't fray. I cut mine down to about the size of a single bed. Then fold each corner in half and sew a straight seam at 90 degrees to the raw edges, about 10 cm in. This gives you a triangular shape at each corner, and creates the "bathtub" shape in the groundsheet. However, the edges need to be tensioned to make the sides stand up. To do this fold each triangle in half again, and sew to create a fairly stiff "tab" on each corner. Then sew a small loop of cord into each tab. The whole thing took me about an hour to do, sewing by hand. I bought some small aluminium pegs to peg the corners out. The only thing I might do differently next time would be to add a little stiffening wire into the corner tabs, to aid rigidity, but to be honest it doesn't really need it!

RIMG0281-1.jpg

I have to say that I agree with you on the weight point. If I wasn't taking a tarp I would probably want a two man tent just for me! I can't stand being too squashed, especially in bad weather. The walking poles are also useful in their own right, so for someone who would be taking them anyway it is "free" weight.

Pierre, I used a space blanket at first (80g), but found it too flimsy, it ripped after a few days. I use a down bag too! My bag has a good DWR though, so a bit of spray is not a problem, probably not as much as condesation in a bivvy bag.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
The home made bathtub is awesome. I really wish I could sew - will have to learn.

Johnno, the bathtub groundsheet was actually made from an army surplus IPK kit. It cost me £5, which gets you a sheet of stiff very strong waterproof material, some cord and aluminium stakes. The material can be cut with scissors without having to seal or hem the edge, as it doesn't fray. I cut mine down to about the size of a single bed. Then fold each corner in half and sew a straight seam at 90 degrees to the raw edges, about 10 cm in. This gives you a triangular shape at each corner, and creates the "bathtub" shape in the groundsheet. However, the edges need to be tensioned to make the sides stand up. To do this fold each triangle in half again, and sew to create a fairly stiff "tab" on each corner. Then sew a small loop of cord into each tab. The whole thing took me about an hour to do, sewing by hand. I bought some small aluminium pegs to peg the corners out. The only thing I might do differently next time would be to add a little stiffening wire into the corner tabs, to aid rigidity, but to be honest it doesn't really need it!

I have to say that I agree with you on the weight point. If I wasn't taking a tarp I would probably want a two man tent just for me! I can't stand being too squashed, especially in bad weather. The walking poles are also useful in their own right, so for someone who would be taking them anyway it is "free" weight.

Pierre, I used a space blanket at first (80g), but found it too flimsy, it ripped after a few days. I use a down bag too! My bag has a good DWR though, so a bit of spray is not a problem, probably not as much as condesation in a bivvy bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE