To Cull or not to cull.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Well Folks, looks like some licences have been granted to cull when the time arrises.
Whats the general consensus.
Cull Badgers
Vaccinate Badgers
Vaccinate cows.
Personally I stand in the Badger corner.
Badger_wiw.png

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm in the badger corner too. But it's certainly not as black and white as each side suggests. Culling is not the answer though. For that to work, you'd have to eradicate the entire species, and that is not an option by any means, whichever side you are on.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
the focus is always on badgers for spreading TB but i have often wondered if other species could be responsible, deer are known to have TB for instance, in Gloucestershire there are large numbers of wild deer could these too be responsible for spreading the disease as they can travel a considerable distance, are they sure it's the badgers and not other animals.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, that's just it. It's not been definitively proven that badgers are the only and main source, just that they are carriers.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
For the cull to be even mildly effective you need to target 75% of badges in an area. Nobody knows how many badgers this is so its a pointless exercise.

The cull that was tested down south showed that it was ineffective as other badgers soon moved into the territory. Now you could cull a healthy population and then allow an infected group to move in. Scientifically, it is a mess.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The guy that wrote the study that the government use to back up the plan is against it. He even states it could be counter productive. But farmers in the main are Tory voters...

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
as a scientist ive read the primary literature published in nature if i remember. the answer is black and white, culling badgers makes the situation worse! this action poor judgement and based purely on pressure from farmers who just want to see something done to help them with what is a big problem. this is just poor decision making by those at the top.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
innoculation has been talked about, it would not be feasible to innoculate the badger population being a wild species as some would obviously escape detection but with the cattle population being captive and of a known quantity why can't the cattle population itself be innoculated.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd like to see cattle vaccinated. However, this vaccine isn't available yet and I saw on Countryfile that it won't be 'til next year.

The cows are surely far easier to locate and control than all the wild badgers and I see it as the most efficient way of handling the problem.

My attitude is mostly selfish though, I just like seeing badgers when I'm out and don't own any cattle. If my livelyhood was affected and I was sending my cattle off for slaughter with TB, I would probably be far less pro-badger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE